email server connection refused

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
donashton

email server connection refused

Post by donashton »

When trying to send or receive emails, I get the following error message: Could not connect to server pop.mail.yahoo.com; the connection was refused.
I have confirmed my outgoing smtp.att.yahoo.com port is 465, and that my incoming pop.att.yahoo.com port is 995.

Thunderbird 3.0.5
Windows XP, SP 3

The problem began several weeks ago whenever I attempted to send a link via Firefox but otherwise sending and receiving within Firefox was unhindered. Then yesterday, I could not send or receive emails within Firefox without getting the error message. My wife has a separate Windows login and email account has the same experience as I. AT&T claims there is no problem with their email server.
tanstaafl

Re: email server connection refused

Post by tanstaafl »

Moved from Firefox Support to Thunderbird Support since you're using a POP mail server.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Has your firewall or other security software recently updated to a newer version? Sometimes this can break the permissions you have established. In such cases, removing those permissions and allowing them to be re-established can sometimes fix the problem.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
donashton

Post by donashton »

The firewall program update was the problem. Your tip helped me narrow in on a solution and resolve the problem. Thanks for your help.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

donashton wrote:The firewall program update was the problem. Your tip helped me narrow in on a solution and resolve the problem. Thanks for your help.

Terrific! Glad you got your problem solved.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers