Firefox 4.0 Tab Candy

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Solidstate89

Re: Firefox 4.0 Tab Candy

Post by Solidstate89 »

I definitely wish I had this a couple months ago when I was doing research on my graduation research/CAD project. I must have had dozens of tabs open, and this would have really come in handy.
cuz84d

Post by cuz84d »

tompa wrote:Have you seen this video of Tab candy? it looks cool to me :)
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/07/23 ... y-firefox/

The alpha .xpi file that you can install doesn't look like that.. but there is plenty of work going to land tab candy on the trunk. i don't like that it messed with my toolbars and doesn't show menu bar or menu button at all... its actually harder to use on a much smaller screen.
fuwaneko

Post by fuwaneko »

Any information on when Candy Tab will be in nightlies? I'm so excited to try it out.
shipster

Post by shipster »

i think it would be cool, if you would get to tab candy by double clicking the tab title. is this planned? or do you always have to click on the tab candy icon (which i think is a bit odd) ?
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

Unless they fix broken Aero with lose of caption buttons, it is unusable.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
Budogirls

Post by Budogirls »

fuwaneko wrote:Any information on when Candy Tab will be in nightlies? I'm so excited to try it out.

No, check this bug for further information: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=574217
fontwell

Post by fontwell »

Can be downloaded from here, apparently not an extension.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/23 ... tab_candy/

If you dont like it keep away from v4 updates.
v8.0
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

HeartRipper wrote:the tab candy build looks like this to me, even with a new profile:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/3439/immaginemut.png

Same here on my test profile that I use with the nightlies.
umqrheqm

Post by umqrheqm »

wojtekmaj

Post by wojtekmaj »

I find this rather useless. I keep two-three windows open all the time, and in one I have my work - webdesign, with all webpages about css, inspirations etc, and in another I have stupid games and YouTube. I see no reason in duplicating functionality that was, well, since Firefox 1.0. ;)
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

Hmm yes but the interface is more designed as how our Brain works :) it's rather the first time people gonna see jeff raskins (azas father) idea of how a better usable ZUI can work :)
it's a Milestone for a Browser to integrate this idea of managing your Web Browsing imho and it's yet not fully utilized there is much much more that can be done to make Web Browsing more efficient in content centric ways with it, that we aren't yet see in Tab Candy and mostly gonna see with a lot of Addons especially targeting Tab Candy in the future :)
Im testing it extensively in combination with Tree Style tabs currently and im amazed how fast i can manage my Web Browsing now with the Groups idea it's just great and something very unique, it's clear that not everyone @ first understands it's full potential and says ahh just a tab switcher but it's much more. It's complexity of course also makes it hard to implement right (all the memory management especially , interface to addons and performance optimizations inside chrome (js)) :P
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

That Ubiquity thing looked promising and useful; this is just...

It'll be a sad day if this makes Fx main code.
mistertwol

Post by mistertwol »

Rodze wrote:That Ubiquity thing looked promising and useful; this is just...

It'll be a sad day if this makes Fx main code.

It's already going to be in beta4
And some form of ubiquity's gonna be integrated into the urlbar.
wojtekmaj

Post by wojtekmaj »

Cru_N_cher wrote:Hmm yes but the interface is more designed as how our Brain works :) it's rather the first time people gonna see jeff raskins (azas father) idea of how a better usable ZUI can work :)
it's a Milestone for a Browser to integrate this idea of managing your Web Browsing imho and it's yet not fully utilized there is much much more that can be done to make Web Browsing more efficient in content centric ways with it, that we aren't yet see in Tab Candy and mostly gonna see with a lot of Addons especially targeting Tab Candy in the future :)
Im testing it extensively in combination with Tree Style tabs currently and im amazed how fast i can manage my Web Browsing now with the Groups idea it's just great and something very unique, it's clear that not everyone @ first understands it's full potential and says ahh just a tab switcher but it's much more. It's complexity of course also makes it hard to implement right (all the memory management especially , interface to addons and performance optimizations inside chrome (js)) :P

I agree this might be useful, but since Mozilla's idea for web browser was to keep it basic and customizable with add-ons, I believe Tab Candy should be an add-on.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

wojtekmaj wrote:
I agree this might be useful, but since Mozilla's idea for web browser was to keep it basic and customizable with add-ons, I believe Tab Candy should be an add-on.

Mozilla's idea for a web browser changed years ago.

The idea now is for Firefox to become an "information broker" while staying highly customizable. Which pretty much means functionality for productivity while being interconnected to everything you're interested in.