How do you think App Tabs should work?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
coolK3N

How do you think App Tabs should work?

Post by coolK3N »

For me App Tab is somewhat site specific tab that will lock on one site and every outside link open in new tab.
But I think it is crucial that tab will allow us to navigate within the site and optionally return to the original selected page when returning from other tab. :idea:

What do you think? :?:
Falnor

Re: How do you think App Tabs should work?

Post by Falnor »

At the moment I think that app tabs are pointless because when I shut the browser down they disappear.

I know You can select to save tabs when you shut the browser down but I don't want to save all tabs.

I think app tabs should be permanent. When I close the browser down I would like all the app tabs to be saved but not normal tabs.
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

AppTabs aren't finished yet. Not by a long shot.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

AppTabs disappearing on start-up has been fixed in b3pre builds.
drbaltazar

Post by drbaltazar »

do you mean graphicly?if so then here how i see it, should be A LA ROLODEX.if some dont know what i mean this is the idea
instead of having ton of new tab sliding each other ,should just be 1 tab with arrow s on the 4 side ,left arrow to back up 1 tab right arrow to go forward one tab top arrow to go +1 in tab window bottom arrow to go -1 in tab window .that way everything would be covered can even make the tab a 4 smaller button thing the size of a tab if its simpler
one thing is sure,ms has the right of it with their wp7 idea of using international sign recognised nobody want to have to learn a browser or anything and after that they can use it
check dvd player everybody in the world knows what the play button is and the stop button is, even tho a lot of brand dont even put the word play!
same for recording everybody knows the recording icon even tho most of the time there is no word saying record.like some say browser has to do everything but first it has to be simple
if it means removing stuff then so be it if it will be quicker.check ecmascript guys what they said:we will add stuff only if it will help us have less line of code
so if they add one command but it end up making it possible to remove billion line of code, then ecmascript will add that command.and that is how mozilla has to do it also adding for the pleasure of adding?browser acceleration is very helpful so every idea coming from that front is welcome be it d2d,dx11,d3d etc etc but other stuff like html5 isnt a rush thing.everything in the january firefox being accelerated the fastest way possible in ms AND other os.in closing i do hope someone is working on this idea:a scanner for our computer to activate the proper stuff in mozilla for our given computer, that would remove lot of headacke true some user might lose some feature since some use computer so old that often the software they use isnt recon lol.
LarryE1946

Post by LarryE1946 »

Littlemutt wrote:AppTabs disappearing on start-up has been fixed in b3pre builds.

That's good news. Thanks
I read about the dangers of alcohol, so I gave up reading.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

I hope that they'll add an API to make it possible for extension authors to add something like badges to app tabs themselves in addition to the current plans to develop a standard that would allow a website itself to access this functionality. Without the tab title visible you are more than ever dependent on extensions to notify you about changes with services like GMail.
The previous signature has been removed again. Enjoy your month off, Erunno.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Erunno wrote:I hope that they'll add an API to make it possible for extension authors to add something like badges to app tabs themselves in addition to the current plans to develop a standard that would allow a website itself to access this functionality. Without the tab title visible you are more than ever dependent on extensions to notify you about changes with services like GMail.

FWIW I made a simple extension that changes the tab colour when a background app tab title changes:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1959095
ShadowVlican

Post by ShadowVlican »

Erunno wrote:I hope that they'll add an API to make it possible for extension authors to add something like badges to app tabs themselves in addition to the current plans to develop a standard that would allow a website itself to access this functionality. Without the tab title visible you are more than ever dependent on extensions to notify you about changes with services like GMail.

i like this idea :)
fuwaneko

Post by fuwaneko »

I'd like to see an option to disable app tabs auto-load after browser restart; i.e. you have to open app tab to make it load web page. An option, not permanent change of behaviour. And yeah, I support the idea of app tabs API for addons.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

The App Tabs extension lets you pin tabs by Alt-clicking them. Will the built-in feature have a keyboard shortcut at some point?