Private Browsing and Cookies

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
SniffTheGlove

Private Browsing and Cookies

Post by SniffTheGlove »

I seem to have a problem and can not fix it so I am asking for help.

Normal Browsing. I visit sites and on the sites I log into I have firefox remember me so when I next visit the site I get logged in automatically
Now I have noticed that if I ever use Private Browsing then afterwards (after closing private browsing) Firefox does not automatically loggon onto sites and I have to log on manually.
Putting in my username in the username box then when tabbing to the password box Firefox then puts in my password, so Firefox has not forgotten my details, even checking the password list in options show the details for the sites so Firefox is not losing this info but losing the capabilty of logging on automatically. Once I have manually logged on the things work fine until Private Browsing is used again.

Re: Private Browsing and Cookies

Post by Guest »

This Mozilla document says:
Passwords: No passwords will be automatically filled in during Private Browsing and no new passwords will be saved.
SniffTheGlove

Post by SniffTheGlove »

Guest wrote:This Mozilla document says:
Passwords: No passwords will be automatically filled in during Private Browsing and no new passwords will be saved.

Perhaps you could re-read my posting and understand what I said namely
afterwards (after closing private browsing)
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

How are you using Private browsing?... an extension? or are you going into Tools/Options Privacy and clicking on that Private browsing box.... "which (as far as I know) is only supposed to be used at the time of starting Firefox" and is not a turn on/ turn off button.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

It works like this:

1. I have a cookie from site "A" set during normal browsing
  2. I then turn on private browsing via Tools "Start Private Browsing"
  3. I go to a number of sites
  4. I then turn off private browsing via Tools "Stop Private Browsing"
  5. The cookie originally set by site "A" is still there

However, note that there are a number of add-ons that will delete all "unprotected" cookies on start-up e.g., CookieCuller

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
SniffTheGlove

Post by SniffTheGlove »

RobertJ wrote:It works like this:

1. I have a cookie from site "A" set during normal browsing
  2. I then turn on private browsing via Tools "Start Private Browsing"
  3. I go to a number of sites
  4. I then turn off private browsing via Tools "Stop Private Browsing"
  5. The cookie originally set by site "A" is still there

However, note that there are a number of add-ons that will delete all "unprotected" cookies on start-up e.g., CookieCuller

This is how I expect it to work and it does work like this for me. My problem is that when visiting the sites that require logon these details are not logged on automatically but require me to log on manually. Once I have logged on then whenever returning to this site I am logged on automatically as I expect.

If I use Private browsing and finsih Private browsing then then this automatically logged on thing breaks.

example.
On visiting this site forums.mozillazine.org I am logged on automatically with username and password as I have told firefox to remember.
I then start Private Browsing
I then stop Private Browsing
I then revisit forums.mozillazine.org and this time I am not logged on automatically.
I check the cookies and they are still there.
I check the Firefox password list and the details for forums.mozillazine.org are still there.

So why does Firefox forget to logon automatically.

PS I start and stop via Tools menu and selecting Start/Stop Private Browsing or use (CTRL+Shift+p)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Try starting in safe-mode to eliminate any add-ons as a problem.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6