Thunderbird unresponsive

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
farandwide

Thunderbird unresponsive

Post by farandwide »

Updated to V3.1 and Thunderbird has become unresponsive and message comes up that it is Not Responding. Initially I rebooted my PC, I have now turned off my Bullguard and that has not solved the problem. Short of uninstaling and reinstalling has anyone a answer to this issue,
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird unresponsive

Post by tanstaafl »

Try running in safe mode (not to be confused with windows safe mode) to see if its due to one of your add-ons. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If you're using a personal firewall make certain that its rules have been updated to apply to the new Thunderbird binaries (rather than pointing to the old executables).

If you updated using help -> check for updates uninstalling and re-installing using a download of the setup program is a good idea since the update might not have installed correctly. Usually when that happens though you see stuff like

label="&blockImageCmd.label;"
---------------^

in the main window. Re-installing won't delete your profile (which has your mail, settings, address books etc.) though if you're worried back it up first with Mozbackup. If you upgraded to 3.1 using the 3.1 setup program re-installing is unlikely to do any good.
farandwide

Post by farandwide »

tanstaafl wrote:Try running in safe mode (not to be confused with windows safe mode) to see if its due to one of your add-ons. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode">http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode</a><!-- m -->

If you're using a personal firewall make certain that its rules have been updated to apply to the new Thunderbird binaries (rather than pointing to the old executables).

If you updated using help -> check for updates uninstalling and re-installing using a download of the setup program is a good idea since the update might not have installed correctly. Usually when that happens though you see stuff like

label="&blockImageCmd.label;"
---------------^

in the main window. Re-installing won't delete your profile (which has your mail, settings, address books etc.) though if you're worried back it up first with Mozbackup. If you upgraded to 3.1 using the 3.1 setup program re-installing is unlikely to do any good.
Thank you - Thunderbird now runs well in safe mode. As far as I was aware I didn't have any adds in Thunderbird though I have in Firefox. I use Bullguard but not sure exactly what I should be looking for. It is set up to allow to use the network. I'm not very confident in this part. Should I now just use Thunderbird in safe mode or continue to try to solve the problem.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I suggest you use tools -> addons -> extensions to disable all of the extensions and verify that it still works. Then selectively enable extensions until you identify which one is the culprit. Its also possible its one of the themes, though that is less likely. If you have any plugins listed in tools -> add-ons -> plugins I suggest you disable all of them and leave them disabled.
farandwide

Post by farandwide »

tanstaafl wrote:I suggest you use tools -> addons -> extensions to disable all of the extensions and verify that it still works. Then selectively enable extensions until you identify which one is the culprit. Its also possible its one of the themes, though that is less likely. If you have any plugins listed in tools -> add-ons -> plugins I suggest you disable all of them and leave them disabled.
I disabled my 2 extensions and it works. Surprisingly one of the extensions is Bullguard spam filter. It still worked with the add-ons but I have taken your advice and removed them. Just as a rider I have noticed that whenever there is a Thunderbird update Bullguard doesn't appear to like it but eventually with further updates from Bullguard there isn't a problem. Once again Thank You for helping me.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You're welcome.

You might try installing SpamPal and see if its more effective than BullGuard. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls for a link and how to configure the junk mail controls to trust it if you want to do that.
robo45h

Post by robo45h »

I'm experiencing the same problem with TB 3.1.2 on Windows 7 64 bit. I've tried uninstalling my anti-virus (MS Security Essentials). I've tried disabling all TB Extensions. Nothing has resolved the problem. Often, after I make a change, the problem seems to go away, then it comes back. Weird. I've also made sure I had all the latest Windows updates and driver updates for my computer (Lenovo W510 i7 4GB RAM).
rogerweiss

Post by rogerweiss »

I just installed the latest update
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100802 Thunderbird/3.1.2
and now Thunderbird is totally useless.

Started up in safe mode and saw the following:
1. On start up I got a pop up:
http://www.screencast.com/users/Plateau ... d51c3cbc9d
Clicked on continue and I could finally click on messages.

2. Selected a new message -get really loooong delay before focus of message changes

3. Clicked on View - disabled "Display attachments inline" also had really long delay.

4 . Disabled Enigmail (only add on I run) no change.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try uninstalling, downloading the setup program, and re-installing. Sometimes the upgrade doesn't install correctly.

Uninstalling won't delete your profile (which has your mail, settings, address books etc.) but if you're worried back it up first using Mozbackup from http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/