form entry spell check?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
Oo.et.oO

form entry spell check?

Post by Oo.et.oO »

i don't know why no one ever seems to think of this. i brought it up way back with some mozilla people and it seemed to fall on deaf ears. i wish i had time to work on it more myself.

my personal peave is that spell checking doens't work EVERYWHERE. it should tell you if you are spelling something wrong in a form entry especially though (if you have it turned on). one should also be able to spell check the current page or group of pages.

anyone agree? feel free to tell me why i'm wrong. :-)
djnr

Post by djnr »

I'm guessing it's because most people use forms for sign-up forms etc, where most of the data entered is names and addresses which wouldn't be in a dictionary anyway.

When people do actual writing in a form it is most often in web-based e-mail- in those situations, the people at Yahoo etc. have often implemented a spell-check feature.

I think it would really bloat a browser and not add much usefulness for the majority of people.

All I can suggest is cutting and pasting text into a thrid-party spell-checker. There are some free ones out there I believe.
Ted Mielczarek

Spell checking

Post by Ted Mielczarek »

I wouldn't mind seeing a context menu option to spell check any text box, whenever a spellchecking component actually lands in Mozilla. I agree it shouldn't be a default thing (even MS Word's spellcheck highlighting bothers me), but I'd like to have the option. I presume many people would like this too, considering how often the browser is used to post to message boards like this one.
djnr

Post by djnr »

There's all kinds of things different people would lie to see, and I agree that this would be nice... as an extension.