MozillaZine

Warning message in Error Console

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dfoulkes

Post Posted August 8th, 2010, 10:23 am

Is this something new in Firefox... I don't remember seeing this type of warning before.... I just cleared my console, did a check for extension updates and I had 6 of these go into it.

I realize that "warnings" are not much to be concerned about buy it looks to me like something is amiss and perhaps some of my extensions won't get updated when I do the check... that's why I'm asking.

Warning: RDFItemUpdater:_parseV20UpdateInfo: No updates were found for:
{3474c305-9dad-11d8-9207-00055d74c2e4}
If you are an Extension developer and were expecting there to be
updates, this could mean any number of things, since the RDF system
doesn't give up much in the way of information when the load fails.

Try checking that:
1. Your RDF File is correct - e.g. check that there is a top level
RDF Resource with a URI urn:mozilla:extension:{GUID}, and that
the <em:updates> listed all have matching GUIDs.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

Grumpus

Post Posted August 8th, 2010, 5:41 pm

Looks like an automatic updater signal got a "there's no one at home" message for whatever was sending the update signal.
Probably generated from your system automatically by either the update control or an extension.

There's a couple of things in the "extensions" category which seem out of place lately, sort of like, "they never used to be there and now we need them for some reason." There's a Firefox plug-ins search listed in search plug-ins where there never was one before?
You used to just hit add-ons in the tool bar.

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 8th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Grumpus wrote:Looks like an automatic updater signal got a "there's no one at home" message for whatever was sending the update signal.
Probably generated from your system automatically by either the update control or an extension.

I do a manual check for extension updates and when I do that these messages are generated.... not automatically (if I understand your post)... anyway, I have a few exts. that I've forced compatibility on so those messages may be created because of those...

Anyway, FF still works find so I'll just look at that error stuff at times.

Thanks

Grumpus

Post Posted August 9th, 2010, 2:29 pm

The idea of forcing the compatibility makes sense for an error message response if there's a hash check or some form of package version verification.

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 1:18 am

{3474c305-9dad-11d8-9207-00055d74c2e4} is the GUID for Bookmark Backup. Do you really need that extension? Firefox already backs up bookmarks automatically. You can configure it to create more backups than the default, and you can create manual backups.

You can use Help > Troubleshooting Information to match the other five GUIDs to the respective extensions.

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 7:44 am

Thanks G-man,

I'll check that stuff out with the Troubleshooting info section.
Do you really need that extension? Firefox already backs up bookmarks automatically

I'm an OLD systems manager from way-back... I over kill on my back ups... so, yes... the more the backing up the better. I've read way toooo many posts in Support where Firefox failed to either back up to json files properly or some other function didn't work right so I not only use that extension (which does more than just backing up Bookmarks) but I also use Moz and FEBE (Moz/TEBE for TB) every Friday to perform a backup routine... very cheap insurance and only uses 5 minutes of my life :lol: as opposed to hours trying to clean up after a failure.

I suspect that the error I get for that specific ext. may be due to the fact that the ext. doesn't reside on AMO but on Pikes home page... not sure on that reason though.

EDIT:... I check a couple more of the error messages for this issue and one of them was for the "brand new" Java Console for the latest Java that I updated a couple of days ago... and the other one was for Noia's theme extension..

Another weird thing is going on while I was just reviewing the Error Console... I have it opened, then opened the Addons manager, checked for updates to generate those "warning" messages... they displayed while I was watching the error screen and while watching them they disappeared... did a check for updates again, they appeared and then again, while reading the list... they disappeared... like, something real-time was clearing them out. :-k

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Bookmarks Backup doesn't seem to specify <em:updateURL>. That means Firefox will check for an update on the Firefox Add-ons site. But the extension isn't hosted there anymore, hence the error.

It's a bad idea -- and rather pointless -- to install multiple extensions that perform the same function. Chances are, you'll run into problems sooner or later.

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 10th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Hmmmm... Bookmarks backup, FEBE and Moz do not interact with each other in any way so there are no problems that can occur that I can see and if one fails for some reason another one has the data... FEBE is a one shot batch-type procedure and Moz is run outside of a closed FF.

My 40 years of managing large computer centers kind-of leans me towards these functions as not being pointless... no backup routine is pointless...especially since no single backup routine is guaranteed to be error free... that's why I have extra insurance.

Alan Baxter

Post Posted August 11th, 2010, 1:18 pm

dfoulkes wrote:
Warning: RDFItemUpdater:_parseV20UpdateInfo: No updates were found for:
{3474c305-9dad-11d8-9207-00055d74c2e4}
If you are an Extension developer and were expecting there to be
updates
, ...

As far as I can tell, this may mean -- at worst -- that Bookmark Backup doesn't support automatic or manual updates through "Find Updates". That seems to be what Gingerbread Man says too. Pike may already know about it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

According to MR Tech Toolkit, the extension itself is compatible with 3.5 - 4.0pre, so there's no need to disable compatibility checking for it.

Pike has been fairly good about keeping Bookmark Backup current with the release builds at least. He posted in the Bookmark Backup home page as recently as 9 July 2010 stating that would worki with the latest nightlies at that time. It's definitely not abandonware yet. http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/?addon=bb#c484

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 11th, 2010, 10:15 pm

Thanks Alan... all my exts. are current... but that message in the Warnings section seemed to be a new one...and the weird thing is that when I have the console open and I'm viewing those messages they start disappearing out of that window while I've watching.... weird.

Alan Baxter

Post Posted August 14th, 2010, 7:07 am

You're welcome. I see that message related to Bookmark Backup too, but I wouldn't know if it's new. I don't routinely browse with the Error Console open. :)
I didn't notice them disappearing while I was watching. Is there a phantom in your machine?

dfoulkes

Post Posted August 14th, 2010, 8:40 am

Alan Baxter wrote: Is there a phantom in your machine?

It is very weird that they "blink" out... I think I have about 4-6 of those warnings and they disappear pretty fast.

While typing this I decided to open up the Error Console and Addons mgr., checked for updates to addons and viewed the Error console page (hovered over the icon on the Win taskbar) and before I could actually click on that window to focus on it I saw the warnings go away one by one... bang, bang, bang... took about 1-2 seconds.

Tisssss very weird! Everything else is running fine.

Return to Firefox General