Firefox takes too long to shut down

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Southbayriders

Firefox takes too long to shut down

Post by Southbayriders »

If I close a bunch of Firefox windows and then try to restart Firefox too soon, I get the following error message:

Firefox is already running but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

I assume Firefox is saving sessions to disk during the long shutdown process. I don't want Firefox to save sessions, is there a way to disable this feature so that Firefox could shut down much quicker, even if I close a half dozen Firefox windows quickly?

Thank you.
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox takes too long to shut down

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you running any extensions in that profile?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Yeah, I'd try cleaning up your profile. The firefox.exe process goes away within a few seconds of closing the window for me.
Cal.123

Post by Cal.123 »

KWierso wrote:Yeah, I'd try cleaning up your profile. The firefox.exe process goes away within a few seconds of closing the window for me.

Does me too...but those 'few' seconds can seem an eternity at times! :-k
Southbayriders

Post by Southbayriders »

I think the problem is that I have tabs turned off. Instead I might have a half dozen windows open, each being Firefox. The problem with the slow shut down is more pronounced after I've had the windows open for a long time and I have switched back and forth many times.

It appears that Firefox is really designed to be used with tabs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you running any extensions in that profile?
It's possible that the issue is a problematic extension (if you have any installed) rather than the number of open windows.
Southbayriders

Post by Southbayriders »

DanRaisch wrote:
DanRaisch wrote:Are you running any extensions in that profile?
It's possible that the issue is a problematic extension (if you have any installed) rather than the number of open windows.

I don't have any extensions installed.
Southbayriders

Post by Southbayriders »

This is still a problem with 4.0 beta 3.

Only happens when I have several windows open and I have been surfing for a while. Why does it take so long for Firefox to shut down? What is it doing when you shut down? Is it some clean up routine?

To recreate this problem:

1) Open several Firefox Windows (do not use tabs)
2) Surf for a while (like 10 minutes)
3) Close all the windows quickly
4) Open Firefox

You will get the message "Firefox is already running but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

1. How long are you waiting before trying to re-open Firefox? It is expected for Firefox to take a few seconds to shutdown.
2. Have you tried a new profile?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Southbayriders

Post by Southbayriders »

Bluefang wrote:1. How long are you waiting before trying to re-open Firefox? It is expected for Firefox to take a few seconds to shutdown.
2. Have you tried a new profile?

Hi Bluefang,

I deleted my current profile and now I no longer have any problems with slow shut down. Firefox shuts down with a second or two and I can restart it without issues.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. =D>
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

You're welcome ^_^
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...