Update Flash 10.1.82.76.

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Modaquitaine

Update Flash 10.1.82.76.

Post by Modaquitaine »

Hello,
I have not been able to update flashplayer (10.1.82.76) for Firefox 3.6.8. Win XP SP3 from Firefox : the installer closes the browser during operation and flash player is not updated for FF (but correctly for "Google Chrome" !).
I had to uninstall the old version of flash which remained active in FF.
By option "missing plugin" of FF, the new version has been installed !
Why is it so difficult to update the flash player in FF 3.6.8. ?
Regards
Gingerbread Man

Re: Update Flash 10.1.82.76.

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Hello,

If you're referring to an installation through the Adobe Download Manager (DLM), then it was probably unable to close Firefox properly, or in time. If you downloaded Flash Player manually, then you should have closed all browsers before launching the installer.

On an unrelated note, your user agent string has been corrupted by the Ant.com toolbar. Follow these instructions to reset it.
BruceAWittmeier

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

A few things you can check
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

Check Adobe here:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Shockwave Player 11.5.7r609 from this site:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

This is the latest according to Mozilla/Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

about:plugins
Try about:plugins in your URL bar

I too just updated to install_flash_player10.1.82.76.exe this morning (Sat) and it is working just fine (I always append the version to the copy I save).
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

Thank you,
Adobe Download Manager has not worked properly for some reason I could not solve in the absence of suspicious plugin (tool bar or else).
This is not the first time I see this when it is necessary to update Flash Player from version 3.6.X. of FF.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Yeah, I've had to manually download the last few Flash updates.

DLM would not work for me.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

IMO, Adobe is going about updating the plugin version of the Flash Player just plain wrong. I honestly can't see why they went with using an extension (that DLM garbage) for Firefox, instead of doing it thru the Operating System like most other plugins handle their updates. (As an example - Java automatically checks for its' own updates, plus they give the user an option to turn off the automatic check for updates and to select a monthly day and time to have Java check for updates. Seems to work fine.) IMO, Adobe is writing their own epitaph for Flash by handling their updates in that manner.

The same damn version of Flash is used by Chrome, Opera, Safari, and other browsers - how do they get Flash to get updated for those browsers? They sure as hell aren't doing it the same way as they're attempting to do with Firefox, via an extension?

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

the-edmeister wrote:IMO, Adobe is going about updating the plugin version of the Flash Player just plain wrong. I honestly can't see why they went with using an extension (that DLM garbage) for Firefox, instead of doing it thru the Operating System like most other plugins handle their updates. (As an example - Java automatically checks for its' own updates, plus they give the user an option to turn off the automatic check for updates and to select a monthly day and time to have Java check for updates. Seems to work fine.) IMO, Adobe is writing their own epitaph for Flash by handling their updates in that manner.

The same damn version of Flash is used by Chrome, Opera, Safari, and other browsers - how do they get Flash to get updated for those browsers? They sure as hell aren't doing it the same way as they're attempting to do with Firefox, via an extension?

Doesn't Chrome ship with its own version of Flash built in?
Gingerbread Man

According to the FAQ, Adobe DLM is only used when manually installing Adobe Reader and Flash Player. It has nothing to do with keeping the software updated automatically.

There were plans to make Adobe Software Update support Flash Player. I'm not sure, but I don't think that's happened (yet). Flash Player automatically checks for updates and displays a notification when updates are available.

Starting with version 3.6, Firefox checks if plug-ins are out of date. How this is accomplished has been made less than clear.

Chrome includes Flash Player since version 5.0.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

I've had occasions that the Flash plugin still showed as an older version after being updated successfully and I needed to delete pluginreg.dat to make the correct version show in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and on the about:plugins page.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I have never seen an update notification from Macromedia / Adobe about Flash updates being available. Is that something that the user needed to turn on?

As far as updating Flash since Mozilla started with the Plugin Check page, I uninstall the old version before installing the new version, and do the same for the ActiveX version of Flash for that last 5 months (my company uses an ActiveX / Flash uploader for uploading images for our reports, so I need to use IE once or twice a month for reports that require an image).

http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... tml#117118
Am I missing something (mentally, I mean) or is that the most convoluted method of accessing settings for Flash?
How do I get to the Settings Manager?

The Settings Manager is a special control panel that runs on your local computer but is displayed within and accessed from the Adobe website. Adobe does not have access to the settings that you see in the Settings Manager or to personal information on your computer.

Accessing the "Global Settings" menu item thru a Flash presentation on a web page, and then having it open another web page at the Macromedia to be able to view and change the Flash settings in your local installation? Was that idea "conceived" in the midst of a "wet dream" one of their developers had? Macromedia / Flash couldn't come up with settings that could be accessed thru the Windows Control Panel, like Sun did with Java? And Apple did with QuickTime?

Another example of Flash being a herpes blister on a genital wart of the internet, IMO.

Ed
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Quote: I have never seen an update notification from Macromedia / Adobe about Flash updates being available. Is that something that the user needed to turn on?

See "Global Notifications Settings panel":
http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger05.html
gregor

Post by gregor »

dickvl wrote:I've had occasions that the Flash plugin still showed as an older version after being updated successfully and I needed to delete pluginreg.dat to make the correct version show in Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and on the about:plugins page.

There is definitely some bug with pluginreg.dat.
Adobe flash stopped working for me until I deleted pluginreg.dat from the profile.

(pluginreg.dat was re-generated when I started firefox).

System: Debian Linux (squeeze)
Modaquitaine

Post by Modaquitaine »

And it continues! Adobe Download Manager (DLM) is unable to work properly to update Flash, but now he says he must manually install a plugin missing "adobe.xpi! "
FF decidedly does'nt like FalshPlayer !
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

I don't know how it works, but it is definitely a nuisance. I got a popup to update Flash on one or another of my computers, and when I attempted to update it, it requires me to install yet another piece of software -- a DLM -- just to get the file. Adobe must die.
Gingerbread Man

Modaquitaine, your user agent string is corrupt. Read Websites or add-ons incorrectly report incompatible browser for instructions on how to reset it.