Critical:Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not show my folders or inbox

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dlamet

Critical:Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not show my folders or inbox

Post by dlamet »

I upgraded from 3.3.1.2 to 3.1.2 on my Macbook Pro 2.33GHz running OS X 10.5.8. When the new Thunderbird came up again, it did not show my folders or inbox. Restarting does not help. The account is present and correctly configured. Searching for message finds them.

When I look in the Error Console, I only get this warning:

Warning: earth.thinkstream.com : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555

This is a critical issue, as my work email is shut down right now.

Thanks.

Re: Critical:Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not show my folders or i

Post by Guest »

hover the mouse cursor over the left edge of the window

when a doublearrow appears, drag it to the right

Post by Guest »

You mean toggle through the Unfiles/All/Recent/Read/Favorite filters? I tried that already.

But... oddly enough, after I left for a few hours & returned all my folders had appeared. Had Thunderbird been doing some kind of check or import on my stuff, and just not given me any heads up? Any, issue resolved.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

No, this is what he meant:

To restore the left folder pane, put your cursor just inside the left edge of your TBird window (between the actual window border and the edge of the information display area) so that it changes to a two-headed arrow, and drag it to the right. Positioning is kinda tricky, so if all you're doing is pulling the left edge of the whole window, stop and try again.

Users with the Lightning calendar extension installed may have trouble with this procedure. It his been reported that if Lightning users double-click on the left border it may restore your folder pane to view.

If all else fails, try installing this extension. It provides an icon that toggles the folder pane on/off:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/1392

See this article in this forum's Knowledge Base if you need help in installing Thunderbird extensions:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions_-_Thunderbird
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
lagaman

Post by lagaman »

Same issue here, and no bar to pull right. Happened right after installing, exit/restart, and fine. Later, it crashed, and now it opens that way everytime.

ANNOYING. Hooray for upgrades.
nikohak

Post by nikohak »

Same for me. The problem is not that the column for message folder isn't visible. It is that there is no folders shown inside it.
Looks like TB is doing indexing or something, because it uses quite a lot of CPU.

Luckily this time the messages appeared after waiting a couple of minutes and then restartting TB.

Sometimes I've had to work hours when TB update breaks everything.

Post by Guest »

Looks like TB is doing indexing or something, because it uses quite a lot of CPU.

Could it be that TB is Compacting? Do you have TB set to Auto Compact? Do you have LARGE folders that need to be compacted often?
Any message in the lower left corner of the window, to show the current activity?
Neville

Post by Neville »

For those who cannot find the splitter to open Folder Pane:

Make sure that View > Layout is set to 'Classic View' and then move the cursor slowly over the left edge of Thunderbird's window until it changes shape. Press the mouse button when the new shape is visible and drag to the right. If this does not work then try disabling all extensions first.
dikkekurt

Post by dikkekurt »

I am having exactly the same issue here and it is not related to the toggling of the folder pane. The folder pane is open and shows NO folders. the search functionality still finds my emails, luckily, but I can not browse them. This is indeed a critical issue. restarting does not help and Thunderbird has virtualy no CPU activity. I also had this after the latest download (although not immediately)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

First backup your profile -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup but do not compact folders as recommended in that link.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to your Profile Folder ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder ). Find the files with the extension msf, such as Inbox.msf. Note that there will be sets of two files with the name but only one of these will have the MSF extension. Delete the files with the MSF extension. Restart Thunderbird, compact all folders, and see if things are back to normal. Note that the MSF files do NOT contain your messages. They are a type of index file and will be recreated by Thunderbird as required.

Also see this URL - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
Neville

Post by Neville »

I would like to see an image of a blank Folder Pane - can somebody either put one here or post a link?

Do those with this problem have any zero size fonts? Check config editor with filter set to font.size. If any are zero set them to a realistic value even if you don't expect to ever use them.
dikkekurt

Post by dikkekurt »

@ DanRaisch,
I have done as you requested, with no result.
I must say that I had already compacted my folders yesterday.
I did not do that again while going trough the actions you proposed.
the msf files have been recreated, but the result is the same

screenshot can be found here : http://drop.io/thunderbirdschreenshot

@ Neville
all font.sizes > 0
dikkekurt

Post by dikkekurt »

hi all,

and I recall this from when the stuff hit the fan :
first I noticed that when trying to expand some folders (I have multiple accounts)
some of the subfolders did not show up.
so I started collapsing and expanding folders to see if they would reappear
then I saw some subtrees appear 2, 3, 4 times
then after another manipulation (collapsing / expanding the top folder ?) all folders disappeared...
and now I can only read emails when I use the search function ... darn...
dikkekurt

Post by dikkekurt »

the troublesome version of Thunderbird I am using is 3.1.2

I still have a version 3.1.1 on another Mac. would it be wise to try and copy that one into the Applications folder in stead of the 3.1.2 and see what that brings ?
or would that likely make matters worse ?
Neville

Post by Neville »

Please don't try that for now.

Unless I am mistaken 'Samengevoegde mappen' translates to Unified Folders - can you confirm this?

If so what happens when you select 'All Folders' by clicking the right arrow to the right of these words?