Can't format Thai in message body

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jfmxl

Can't format Thai in message body

Post by jfmxl »

Hi,

When I type Thai into the subject line... no problem.

When I type Thai into the message body... it's a mess. Thunderbird goes brain dead. No idea where the vowels or tone marks go.

So I know Thunderbird can do it right, because it does it right in the subject line. But not in the message body.

I've tried to find a preference to fix it... but no luck.

Any help appreciated.
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
jfmxl

Re: Can't format Thai in message body

Post by jfmxl »

If I send the message as html hen all is well... but is there no way for it to display properly without html?
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Is this a Thunderbird problem? Or web mail
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

Well... I'm using the Thunderbird application. It allows two sorts of mail content : ordinary text, and html. I prefer ordinary text. Ordinary text is 8-bits, 7-bits I believe, still, within email constraints. But that's the case whether it's sent as text or as html. It's up to the mail reader/writer to make it look like something. Thunderbird seems to be able to do that with html, using gecko I imagine, but unable to do that on its own? That's my question. Is there some button to push somewhere in Thunderbird that will enable Thunderbird to format Thai characters decently in text mode?
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving from Firefox Support to Thunderbird Support.
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

Where am I? I thought I posted this in the Thunderbird support... that's where I am now, right? Did I post in Firefox' support forum initially and get moved here?
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

jfmxl wrote:Did I post in Firefox' support forum initially and get moved here?

Yes, that is what happened.
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

Please stay with your original thread... that'd be the one with no answers, right?
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To whom are you responding? No one here said anything about an "original thread".
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

Well... my original confusion in posting has yielded advice on how and where to post but none on my original problem. So I reposted it :

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1968155

That posting was quickly jailed, so I'm back here... at the post with no answers... unable to post anew.
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There is no point in posting anew. As you were advised in the locked topic, posting in multiple topics simply confuses things rather than improving your chances of getting an answer. Also, please keep in mind that your initial post was created in the Firefox forums so for part of the time you've been waiting people were not even sure in what application the problem you were describing existed.
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

I'll be patient. I had just thought that by now this message had slipped so far down the list that no one would read it. As well it has lots of responses... I'm adding one more now... so an ordinary person will probably assume the problem's been fixed and will leave it unopened.
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

No answers... Is this a hard question? Seems like it should be easy.

I just sent an email written in html so the recipient might have some chance to read it.... I looked at it in my sent folder and it looks like hell. I tired view original html and it made no difference.

Come on... you've cast me out into the darkness, please give me a little help here!
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

Sounds like some sort of character set issue? How are you typing the Thai text? Is it with a special language-specific keyboard? Is it using a standard Unicode encoding, or something proprietary?
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
jfmxl

Post by jfmxl »

I'm just typing away at my ordinary keyboard. The text is utf-8 encoded. The subject line comes out right in any case. The body comes out right in the event that I shift-click the write mail button and let Thunderbird wrap html tags around what I type. I think that's what happens when you shift-click write.

But whether I type as usual or into html mode, the resultant text looks like hell... at least in the copy in my sent folder. The indications from the people that I'm emailing is that they cannot read the damn text. The vowels and tone marks are offset, not over or under the consonants as they should be. It's like typing into a dumb terminal.

How can I fix this? I'm going to have to open a yahoo mail account to correspond with my Thai friends. Yahoo gets it right... no trouble. How absurd is that?
John Francis Lee
Chiangrai, TH