Firefox 4 Feature Directory

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox 4 Feature Directory

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Yeah, I read it I just didn't know what a "setTimeout()-based animation" was. Vogon poetry to me. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

TabViews seems to have stuck - guess it can be marked as a feature now right?
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
El Pino

Post by El Pino »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Yeah, I read it I just didn't know what a "setTimeout()-based animation" was. Vogon poetry to me. ;)

That's how all Javascript animations work (unless there is some super secret way I don't know of yet). It allows you to set a time delay between the execution of functions. So for example you call a function 20 times that gradually fadens a picture, with a timeout of 50ms. Then it will be a 1 second animation... Without setTimeout, the functions just execute one after the other, so it would be over before you could even see it.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

My point was I didn't know it was about JavaScript-based animations. Some of these bugs are very difficult to even know what they are *about* without in-depth knowledge of the topic at hand, which is why I asked. :)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Someone asked about the animation item I listed earlier, well here is an article about it from Mozilla Hacks: http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/08/more-e ... tionframe/
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Added Indexed OGG Support to the list.
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Some other new items just landed that could be of worth noting here, namely some of the HTML 5 forms code.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

RyanJ wrote:Some other new items just landed that could be of worth noting here, namely some of the HTML 5 forms code.

I saw that not too long ago.

I almost didn't think that they would make it.
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Apparently they aren't finished just yet either, there is more to come. Should be interesting to see how much more they can cram in before the feature freeze.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Split off the Tab Candy stuff to the proper thread, start here. viewtopic.php?p=9775055#p9775055

The banter I split off to Locked.

As always, conversions about this action should that place here viewforum.php?f=11
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

You don't realize how automated your mouse movements are until you "right click-> open in new window" 100 times a day, wanting to open in a tab. Damn, it'll take time getting used to the change.

I guess that isn't a feature. Anyway...
mernen

Post by mernen »

Are you sure hardware acceleration is not yet supported in Linux? Lately Firefox has been rendering ridiculously fast here, beating Microsoft's own IE9 HTML and canvas demos (SVG is still slow), even with large, maximized/fullscreen windows. I just can't see that happening without hardware acceleration.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Last time I checked, Minefield didn't have OpenGL acceleration for Linux in yet. I'll try to verify in a VM.

EDIT:

OpenGL is not yet enabled in Linux and OSX yet. Performance could be a side effect of the mass refactoring that has happened.
mernen

Post by mernen »

Just tried the Win32 build on the same machine, with mozilla.widget.render-mode set to default (-1). Indeed, it seems Firefox 4 is currently able to compete with IE9's graphics even without hardware acceleration! Also, setting render-mode to 6 made no difference at all to me. Guess things are just heating up.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

mernen wrote:Just tried the Win32 build on the same machine, with mozilla.widget.render-mode set to default (-1). Indeed, it seems Firefox 4 is currently able to compete with IE9's graphics even without hardware acceleration! Also, setting render-mode to 6 made no difference at all to me. Guess things are just heating up.

D2D pref behavior has been modified.
-1 is enabled.
0 is disabled.
Nothing else matters.