keyconfig 20110522

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dorando

Re: keyconfig 20080929

Post by dorando »

grool wrote:I just want to ask if the compatibility is really updated, because FF 3.6.8 broke my keyconfig (not even compatibility update) when I moved profiles to a new Windows 7 system.
Maybe another extension is interfering with the update process. You could try setting extensions.logging.enabled to true and look in Tools > Error Console for the messages posted during the update check (use right click > Find Update to only check one extension).
grool wrote:It seems Win7 keeps its stuff in places I'm not familiar with.
You can access your Profile Directory through Tools > Troubleshooting Information….

Iceweasel wrote:I created a function which hides/unhides tool and tab bars. I use this in situations where I need to save screen real estate to fit multiple windows on screen.

The function works perfectly but the situation I mainly need it for is when I have a flash application loaded. The flash application filters the key strokes and I am stuffed because I can't use the function to unhide menu and tab bar. These situations are time critical and I can't afford to lose time, which is why I created the function.

Is there anything I can do?
If a Flash Application has the focus the keypress doesn't seem to reach the window (see bug 78414). You might be able to assign a system wide shortcut with XBindKeys (or KHotKeys, gconf-editor, Xfce Keyboard settings, ...) to invoke an external command which sends a keypress to Firefox (maybe with something like XMacro).
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Iceweasel: Don't reinvent the wheel. The following may or may not apply to you, since I'm on SeaMonkey which is "similar but different" to the Firefox you use:
  • My toolbars and menubars have grippies on the left side: click that, and the corresponding bar collapses, so that the grippies for all collapsed bars occupy together no more space than one single bar only as high of the width of one grippy (which is — how much? maybe 6px high? — anyway, less than half as much as one toolbar with small icons and no text). Faster than "View → Show/Hide → <bar name>" for temporary or "quick" changes.
  • Hitting F11 toggles Full-screen mode on and off; when on, even the titlebar and the OS taskbar disappear, as well as the statusbar, menubar and (at least in my version) everything other than the URL bar, tab bar and (of course) the page content. Try it and see, maybe Firefox has it too. The keyconfig window lists "key_fullScreen" as the corresponding function, which may or may not help you. (I see this mentioned also as the trigger key for "View → Full Screen" but of course the single-key shortcut is faster than the two-click menuitem.)
Best regards,
Tony
Iceweasel

Post by Iceweasel »

dorando - thanks for the xfce keyboard idea.

tonymec wrote:Iceweasel: Don't reinvent the wheel.
  • My toolbars and menubars have grippies on the left side: [...] Faster than "View → Show/Hide → <bar name>" for temporary or "quick" changes.
  • Hitting F11 toggles Full-screen mode on and off [...]

Tony, many thanks for your tips.

Unfortuantely, mouseing is not as useful to me as the keyboard function I wrote (toggle visibility of menu, nav, aios and tab bar, move FoxClock to status bar when menu is removed). I can well imagine that Firefox has grippies; I probably got rid of them because I am not very dextrous when it comes to clicking. I can't tell you how often I misclick and accidentally close tabs etc. because I am a few millimetres out, which can be disastrous when I trade. A keyboard shortcut is always quicker and safer for me. I don't have the time to individually click tool bars away. The flash apps are trading platforms and prices move quickly and I am on a slow, sometimes flaky, internet connection. Getting all toolbars back with a shortcut might be required as a sort of panic button when things go belly-up.

Full-screen mode is never useful to me because what I need is carefully arrange browser (+ other) windows without overlap asI need to view these at the same time.
Soar Alba
WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

Dorando ... first, I'd like to thank you for answering questions such as the one I'm about to ask. No one's paying you to do such things, and it's a kindness to the community. So thank you for that.

Now, after having suitably buttered you up :) [although my thanks is, I assure you, genuinely meant], I am wondering: I am seeking a key that emulates the function performed by the "Remove Bookmark" button one sees when one clicks the filled-in bookmark star of a page that is bookmarked.

I will usually bookmark open window sessions in their own folders; being able to remove a bookmark (from the keyboard) after visiting the page would be quite useful.
sridhar

Post by sridhar »

I wrote a small blog post in which I have put the keyconfig codes of what I believe are frequently used actions in Firefox. Here's the link if any one is interested. Thanks again to dorando for creating the plugin and the support.
dorando

Post by dorando »

WCityMike wrote:I am seeking a key that emulates the function performed by the "Remove Bookmark" button one sees when one clicks the filled-in bookmark star of a page that is bookmarked.
Try

Code: Select all

var itemId = PlacesUtils.getMostRecentBookmarkForURI(gBrowser.currentURI);
if(
itemId != -1) {
 StarUI._itemId = itemId;
 StarUI.removeBookmarkButtonCommand();
}

WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

Thank you, Dorando -- I love it.

Edit: I find that it is improved by adding the code for "Close and focus left tab", resulting a single keystroke that lets me work backward up the list -- I hit Ctrl-Alt-W, and it removes the bookmark from my bookmarks, close the tab, and moves itself to the tab to the left.

var itemId PlacesUtils.getMostRecentBookmarkForURI(gBrowser.currentURI);
    if(
itemId != -1) {

StarUI._itemId itemId;

StarUI.removeBookmarkButtonCommand();
    }
var 
tab gBrowser.mCurrentTab; if(tab.previousSiblinggBrowser.mTabContainer.selectedIndex--; gBrowser.removeTab(tab); 

The one "downside" to the combination is that if I had duplicated a bookmark, i.e., bookmarked something that was also in one of my Bookmark Toolbar folders, using this combination removes it from everywhere -- but as that's the way the Remove Bookmark code is coded, I don't think it's an avoidable circumstance. I just need to be careful in such circumstances.
dorando

Post by dorando »

WCityMike wrote:The one "downside" to the combination is that if I had duplicated a bookmark, i.e., bookmarked something that was also in one of my Bookmark Toolbar folders, using this combination removes it from everywhere -- but as that's the way the Remove Bookmark code is coded, I don't think it's an avoidable circumstance. I just need to be careful in such circumstances.
Try

var itemId = PlacesUtils.getMostRecentBookmarkForURI(gBrowser.currentURI);
if(
itemId != -1)
 PlacesUtils.bookmarks.removeItem(itemId); 
which should only remove the bookmark most recently modified.
WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

Thanks, dorando. That's beautiful. Quite happy.
retepmu

Post by retepmu »

I used keyconfig with Thunderbird for a long time. Everything worked fine.

After I updated to TB 3.0 (now it is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100802 Mnenhy/0.8.3 Thunderbird/3.1.2) my body pane is empty, as long keyconfig is activated.

That takes place only with my old profile and all old options.
It doesn't take place in a new profile.

My question:
Does anyone know how to solve the problem without having to configure a complete new profile (it would be a lot of work, because I use many extensions)?

Are there any configurations known which could be the cause of the "conflict"?

Thank you.
Andreas
Version of TB or FF used by me: the actual one
My tip collections for Thunderbird and Firefox (both in german language)
nameanyone

Post by nameanyone »

Dorando,

Big thanks for the solution you offered in a separate thread. I'm copying it here for others to see.

Plus, I'd like to ask another question (I have a feeling it's a hard one):
How can I make these titles stick between the restarts?
Oh, and how do I "unwatch" the title, i.e. go back to the default behavior of tracking the current tab?

Thank you again, for keyconfig and for all your answers.

var w=prompt("Set the window title to:",document.title);
if (!w||!w.trim().length) return;
document.watch("title", function(){return w;});
document.title = w;
dorando

Post by dorando »

Andreas Borutta wrote:After I updated to TB 3.0 (now it is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; de; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100802 Mnenhy/0.8.3 Thunderbird/3.1.2) my body pane is empty, as long keyconfig is activated.
Anything in the Tools > Error Console?

nameanyone wrote:How can I make these titles stick between the restarts?
Oh, and how do I "unwatch" the title, i.e. go back to the default behavior of tracking the current tab?
You might want to build a custom extension with http://dev.dorando.at/mozilla/blank.xpi as a base and add above the </overlay> in the main.xul ( look for it within Profile/extensions/userxul@nobody/overlays/ after restating Firefox) the following code:

<script type="text/javascript"><![CDATA[

var userXUL = {
  ss: Components.classes["@mozilla.org/browser/sessionstore;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsISessionStore),
  observe: function(subject, topic, data) {
   Components.classes["@mozilla.org/observer-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIObserverService)
   .removeObserver(this, "sessionstore-windows-restored");

var title = this.ss.getWindowValue(window, "userXUL-title");
   if(title) {
    document.title = title;
    document.watch("title", function(){ return this.title; });
   }
  },
  title_on: function() {
   var title = prompt("Set the window title to:",document.title);
   if (!title||!title.trim().length) return;
   document.unwatch("title");
   document.title = title;
   document.watch("title", function(){ return this.title; });
   this.ss.setWindowValue(window, "userXUL-title", title);
  },
  title_off: function() {
   document.unwatch("title");
   this.ss.deleteWindowValue(window, "userXUL-title");
   gBrowser.updateTitlebar();
  }
 }

Components.classes["@mozilla.org/observer-service;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIObserverService)
 .addObserver(userXUL, "sessionstore-windows-restored", false);

]]>
</script>

<keyset>
 <key id="userXUL-title-on" modifiers="control shift" key="O" oncommand="userXUL.title_on();" />
 <key id="userXUL-title-off" modifiers="control shift" key="U" oncommand="userXUL.title_off();" />
</keyset>
retepmu

Post by retepmu »

dorando wrote:Anything in the Tools > Error Console?

Meanwhile I could reproduce one cause for the effect.

When I delete the default key F8 for the command "Fensterlayout > Nachrichtenbereich" (Translation: Windowlayout > Messagearea), the effect takes place.
When I reset that command, the effect is gone.

If you still like to know the output of the error console, please let me know.
Andreas
WCityMike

Post by WCityMike »

Quick question -- for Dorando or anyone else.

Right now, I have Ctrl-B mapped to open focused on "BookmarksMenu" instead of "AllBookmarks".

I'd love for it to instead focus on the first folder named "[Folder Name]". Any idea how I might designate that, inside the ShowPlacesOrganizer paranthetical?
retepmu

Post by retepmu »

I like to realize a shortcut to switch between these two options:

1 Tools > Options > Display > Advanced > [ ] use fixed width font for plain text messages
2 ... [x] use fixed width font for plain text messages

Does anyone know, which code for keyconfig does the job?

If you like to give me hints how one could discover the appropriate code for commands in general (when TB does not offer a shortcut by default), I would appreciate that a lot.
Any hints are welcome.

Thank you.
Andreas