Firefox 4. How to disable 'Switch to tab'?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sthones

Firefox 4. How to disable 'Switch to tab'?

Post by sthones »

Hi,

testing Firefox 4 Beta 4, I run into an issue with the new 'Switch to tab' functionality in the address bar. I have a number of tabs open on a webpage I'm working with. In a new tab (actually even in a different Firefox window, located on a different screen), I want to open this page again.
now that I type the page name into the address bar, hoping that it'll point me to my bookmark entry for that page, Firefox only presents the list of already open tabs with the 'Switch to tab' functionality. but I don't want to switch, I want the new tab to show that page.

what can I do?

Regards
sthones
DanRaisch

Re: Firefox 4. How to disable 'Switch to tab'?

Post by DanRaisch »

This would better be discussed in a different location but to post there you must be registered. If you do choose to register, please post back in this thread, asking a moderator to move this to a more appropriate location.
Soutar_3DG

Post by Soutar_3DG »

You could middle click on the link or press ALT + ENTER to open it in a new tab rather than have it switch to the tab.
jawn1

Post by jawn1 »

I'm also interested in finding out how to disable this stupid feature.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Then register and post in the proper forum. Support is not the place for questions about test builds.
sthones

Post by sthones »

DanRaisch wrote:This would better be discussed in a different location but to post there you must be registered. If you do choose to register, please post back in this thread, asking a moderator to move this to a more appropriate location.

then would some moderator please move this thread into 'a more appropriate location'?
sthones
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Off to Builds...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

If you already have the tab open, why do you want to open it again?

Alternatively, Soutar_3DG is correct.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You should be able to remove the "switch to tab" listing via a userStyle or userChrome hack.

@ KWierso, there are many reasons for wanting to duplicate a tab. Not the least of which is that some websites will have popups for adding comments that obscure the information you are commenting on.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

That's why there should be a "duplicate tab" that's easy to find. Right now you need to drag and drop a tab while pressing Ctrl, which is not very discoverable. A right-click menu entry wouldn't do any harm, in my opinion.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

if you middle-click or alt-enter the switch to tab entry, it opens as a new tab.
TrueFalcon

Post by TrueFalcon »

I've been using Duplicate Tab for years. It works great. The latest is at this URL:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/28/

It's incompatible with 4.0, but if you tweak the MaxVersion it works fine. You know how to do that, right? If not, you shouldn't be using Betas.
Hund

Post by Hund »

I would also like to know how to disable this "feature"? Its really annoying when you by accident uses the feature and looses all your other open tabs.
kingfurball

Post by kingfurball »

Please add me to the list, of people who wants this thing gone... Is there anyway we can get this "feature" toggled off by default before FF 4 goes live??? This will drive people nuts.... It has already done that to me (albeit a short drive) ... I just want FF 4 to be able to continue dominance over the up coming Internet Destroyer 9 .... take care, King Furball and all the animals
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Kingfurball, it will be on by default in Fx 4. Removing it is in the extension realm.

And don't extrapolate your opinion onto the others: most like that feature. Far less people are complaining here than for other features like Panorame, plugin-container, removal of the RSS icon. This shows that this feature is well accepted.