Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not save sent messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
solar96

Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not save sent messages

Post by solar96 »

Thunderbird updated to 3.1.2. Sent messages no longer show in Sent folder. Also, sent folder takes forever to open.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird 3.1.2 does not save sent messages

Post by tanstaafl »

Try specifying a different sent folder in tools -> account settings -> copies & folders. If that works, then move the saved messages from the old folder to the new one.

There might be some sort of problem with the file used to store the messages for the old folder. I had that happen to me once and I couldn't spot anything wrong with its file attributes or security settings.

Some other possibilities are that you have a corrupt folder or that you're starting to have problems with your hard disk (bad sectors) and its showing up first with that file.
dastinger

Post by dastinger »

Hey tanstaafl,

I had the same problem and that solved it. Sent messages were being saved to the folder Sent but on gmail, not Thunderbird. Thank you ;)
domani

Post by domani »

have the same problem from today: sent folder does not open, and when it doesthere are no sent mails in it?
since this version I have also a problem with unresponsive script when saving a mail or attachment,
so it seems this version is not really suitable for regular use, looks like a beta version, with many bugs...
sorry but till now tb had no problems, now I must seriously consider to move to another program?
pge

Post by pge »

I agree with everything you wrote, domani. I'm really annoyed at losing all my sent mail. This updated version does very much seem like a beta version. I'm ready to move on, too.
igota no

Post by igota no »

how large is the Sent folder?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

domani and pge, it's much more likely the problem is with your profiles.
What type of account, POP or IMAP? What is the target for saving outgoing messages? (See the menu path posted by tanstaafl.)
* Which version of Thunderbird? Check Help>About for the version number.
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which ones?
* Do you regularly compact your folders? Weekly or more often is strongly recommended. Check http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders for more information on compacting folders.
backbonebill

Post by backbonebill »

Moderator - that is a lame excuse for a non-functional piece of software. I've used Mozilla since it was part of Netscape and this new Thunderbird SUCKS.

The burden is not on us to compact folders every week. We have email addresses for years and the program should SAFELY store that data in a user-friendly non-distructive way. The burden is on Mozilla to design a product that doesn't lose important data.

When my sent mails are all suddenly blank, or I can't send mail because it can't write it to a folder that is a design problem that wastes my time. For those of us who have to keep a record of our email for transparency - open records - reasons - then it becomes a legal liability to use Thunderbird.

I need a step-by-step way to ensure that enough memory is dedicated - or whatever - and a clear way to retrieve and restore my sent folder.

Please provide solutions not excuses.

Bill Moyer
Vashon, WA
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No one offered excuses. Users are responsible for the maintenance and protection of their important data, not the software companies. I think you'd have a very difficult time convincing anyone that the entire burden of maintaining your computer data falls on someone other than yourself.

How recently did you back up your profile? Never? That's very responsible.
And you can't be bothered to perform a couple of mouse clicks to compact message folders, something necessary in any email client accessing POP type email accounts? That's very responsible.

Oh, and before I forget to mention it, this forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community.

Now, if you would like assistance to see if your data is still accessible, please answer the following:

* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? If, so, which ones?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You don't have to manually compact folders every week. There are several easy ways to automate compacting the folders. See Compacting folders. The easiest way is to check "Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Network & Disk Space -> Disk Space -> Compact folder when it will save over 100 kB" .

Thunderbird is more vulnerable to corruption than Outlook Express (which also compacts folders) due to its using mbox files to store messages, same as Eudora. They are working on a pluggable mail store to let you use MailDir (it stores each message in a separate file) instead.

I suggest you read Keep it working and Common misconceptions about Thunderbird

If you don't like the help you get here, try the official support forum at http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging .
GNCA

Post by GNCA »

New install v. 3.1.6 on a new i7 iMac OS X 10.6.4. So archiving folders IS NOT the issue. They are MT.

Transferred the address book. Set up one email account and sent a test message. It hangs at "copying message to Sent folder." Hmmmm. Well there is no "Sent" folder. Help Search>>>>Google Search>>>>>> No Joy.

Create Sent folder? Nope. Doesn't work. Cancel "copying message to Sent folder." Hangs at "Copying messages to Drafts folder. Hmmmm. Well there is no "Drafts" folder.

Create Drafts folder? Nope. Doesn't work. Cancel that one too.

The message arrives a few seconds later on the iMac one seat down, but there is no Sent folder on this one, and it won't create one, nor can I. Hmmmm.

Searching this site reveals many very unhappy people without Sent folders. I'm lucky that this is a new install and not one with a thousand sent and received emails I would have like to have kept for my records.

So what's the big secret? Where's the Sent folder? Why won't it save my Sent mail? And why can't I create a Sent folder and get TBird to save the email there? My magic wand is magically making my time disappear.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

GNCA wrote:So what's the big secret? Where's the Sent folder? Why won't it save my Sent mail? And why can't I create a Sent folder and get TBird to save the email there?

Well that actually depends on a number of things so we need to ask some questions before being able to answer you.

* What kind of mail - POP, IMAP?
* Is your mail service from an ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* What is the target for saving Sent messages as defined under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?
* What is the target for saving Draft messages as defined under Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

POP or IMAP account? If its POP are you using a global inbox?

Are you unable to create any folder? You can tell Thunderbird what folder to use as the Sent or Drafts folder using tools -> account settings -> copies & folders.

On some of my IMAP accounts the email provider used Sent Items instead. Since Thunderbird defaults to "Sent" as the name of the Sent folder copying the sent message hung until I told it to use Sent Items.
GNCA

Post by GNCA »

Close comparison time.... The server address was POP., but the server type was IMAP. Deleted and created a real POP account. The Sent folder appeared automagically.
GNCA

Post by GNCA »

Posting while you were. Found all the test emails in the Gmail server sent folder - which led back to a complete, word-for-word, comparison of account settings.

May all your problems be as easily solved.