Should be standard features

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
videobruce

Should be standard features

Post by videobruce »

The 'stock' ability of a tab location at the bottom where it should be. Placing the 'tabs' at the top is inconvenient since all programs reside in the task bar and moving from the top to the bottom of the screen is a pain. Also, not having the red close 'X' is a negative.

Add additional buttons to the pathetic Navigation bar, such as;
FF, REW (both to allow going back or forward to the first or last URL in that tab), Author/User Mode, Show/Hide Images.

A 'Slide Show' option in the Navigation bar where one click on a 'Show' tab and all images on that page will show one at a time by clicking the 'next' button (just like a slide show), instead of click on one at a time and going back.

Those are standard in Opera.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
gunnyj6

Re: Should be standard features

Post by gunnyj6 »

Also, when closing a tab, focus should move to the previously-focused tab. This should be default.
Long live the Suite!
therube

Post by therube »

How many browsers do you know of, do you use, that place tabs at the bottom

Suppose you mean red close 'X' in each tab, there is an extension for that

Slide show, not familiar with that, perhaps an extension, don't know

tab closing does work like that, though i believe it will only be for a tab opened from the "parent" window
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

What extension do you have that makes focus go to the previously-focused tab when you close the current tab? It's not default behavior.
Long live the Suite!
therube

Post by therube »

None.
Though it depends on how a tab was opened & what intervening actions have happened.

Thinking that if you click a link that opens in a new tab (not one that you select to open in a new tab), then when you close that tab, it should return focus back to its parent.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

Closing tabs always results in focus being given to the tab immediately left of the closed tab. :(
Long live the Suite!
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

Just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my profile or something, I installed SeaMonkey on my laptop, which had never had SeaMonkey installed on it before.

Same behavior. Closing a tab gives focus to the tab immediately left of the closed tab (or right, if the tab was the left-most one), and not to the previously-selected tab as Opera does (and I believe, most other tabbed browsers do, notably excepting K-Meleon).
Long live the Suite!
Pim

Post by Pim »

On my machine it works like therube says. I open a new tab from within this one, and when I close the new one, this one becomes active again, no matter if there are other tabs in the window.
However if I create a new tab with Ctrl+T and close that, the rightmost tab becomes active.
K-Meleon is a Gecko browser like SeaMonkey. Does the whole Gecko family behave the same?
Groetjes, Pim
gunnyj6

Post by gunnyj6 »

You may not quite be understanding the behavior I'm describing. See the bug for full description: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=595382
Long live the Suite!
Pim

Post by Pim »

I understood what you said perfectly. However, you were giving incorrect information when you said "Closing tabs always results in focus being given to the tab immediately left of the closed tab". Like therube and I replied, it doesn't always happen, only in some circumstances. You said so yourself in the bug report (which you hadn't given the link to until now).

With that out of the way, it does appear like the behaviour of the browser could be improved upon.
Groetjes, Pim
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

videobruce wrote:Add additional buttons to the pathetic Navigation bar, such as;
FF, REW (both to allow going back or forward to the first or last URL in that tab)

This is actually there. The little down arrow next to the forward/back button brings up a menu of the last several URLs in that direction.

<ridiculous formatting>Those are standard in Opera.</ridiculous formatting>

A. So? In case you didn't notice, Seamonkey ISN'T Opera.
B. Size=125? Really? I'm so glad message boards do sanity checking on the size command nowadays.