[Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme updates

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: [Ext] Update Notifier 0.1.5.5 - Get Extension/Theme upda

Post by Lee_Dailey »

Fry-kun wrote:You're right, I didn't have it added to tbird
If that preference makes it work then it's a bug -- it's supposed to hide it when there are no updates, and show it when some are available. It worked flawlessly in previous versions (before I upgraded to Fx 3.x, I think)

howdy Fry-kun,,

yup! it otta work the way you apparently had it. the author seems to have lost interest, so we're left with finding the best available working config. for _me_ that means leaving the icon displayed at all times.

the author seems to be visiting this site but his last post that i can find is from ...
"Fri, 2010-02-12, 09:16am"
... and his last login seem to be ...
"Last visited: Tue, 2010-06-29, 05:14pm"

if you are really interested, you could go to the front page of this thread, click on his username and then send him a private message. i suspect he simply got caught up in this "real life" thing i've heard rumors about ... [*grin*]

take care,
lee
mercian

Post by mercian »

Thanks Lee, maybe it's because I tried to install toolkit after I'd upgraded to v3.1.1, rather than having it installed already in v3.1 - when I have some time I'll attempt upgrading T'bird again. At the mo it's no problem :-)
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

mercian wrote:Thanks Lee, maybe it's because I tried to install toolkit after I'd upgraded to v3.1.1, rather than having it installed already in v3.1 - when I have some time I'll attempt upgrading T'bird again. At the mo it's no problem :-)

howdy mercian,

you are quite welcome! [*grin*]

take care,
lee
mercian

Post by mercian »

mercian wrote:Thanks Lee, maybe it's because I tried to install toolkit after I'd upgraded to v3.1.1, rather than having it installed already in v3.1 - when I have some time I'll attempt upgrading T'bird again. At the mo it's no problem :-)

Yep, that did it :) Disabled extension manager with Toolkit, updated to v3.1.1, FF advised Update Notifier not compatible but didn't disable/uninstall it and it still appears to be working.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy mercian,

kool! [*grin*] glad to know it's working for ya now.

take care,
lee
alexo

Post by alexo »

A small problem I noticed today on my home machine:
Update notifier on FF starts checking for updates and just sits there, spinning, forever.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Depending on where you got your add-ons from, one or more of the places you got your add-ons from could have gone down temporarily which would cause the check for new updates to not time out.

After all places like AMO aren't always online 24/7. You either can keep trying to check for new updates or just try again later (and ignore the never-ending update check).
allan_wind

Post by allan_wind »

It appears that if (1) "Check for updates when Iceweasel starts." option is enabled, and (2) update notifier finds updates on restart then (3) the Startup option "Show my windows and tabs from last time" is reverted to "Show my home page" and the (4) session (tabs in use) are lost instead of restored. This is with update notifier 0.1.5.5 and Iceweasel (aka Firefox) 3.5.11-1 on Linux. Upgrading firefox may also trigger this behavior however I am not sure if this is simply a function of new add-ons being detected post-upgrade.

(4) means session restore is unreliable and a serious usability issue for me as I use tabs as a "to read" list. For now I disabled (1) in hope that my session will be restored reliably.

Not sure what component to attribute this problem to. I reviewed the hits for ""session restore add-on" in bugzilla without finding anything relevant, and gave up as forum search seems to return an unbound number of hits.
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

Since Firefox 3.6.8 (in Firefox 3.6.9 as well), this extension causes a conflict with the Unhide Passwords addon, making it so that whenever I customize the menu bar, the menus remain greyed out/inactive, even when the Customization Window has been closed. The bug has been completely tested, and the problem is with Update Notifier. It's been quite a while since there was an update, and a new version that fixes this bug, and is fully compatible with Firefox 3.6.9 would be appreciated.
em28

Post by em28 »

DarkForce,
It is most likely the development has ceased on this extension.
May I suggest to place the extension icon only in the status bar ?
That was my way of solving this bug.
darkeforce

Post by darkeforce »

Someone needs to pick up development on this addon. It's tremendously useful.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

em28 wrote:DarkForce,
May I suggest to place the extension icon only in the status bar ?
That was my way of solving this bug.

darkeforce wrote:Someone needs to pick up development on this addon. It's tremendously useful.

Sigh... Let me clear up the FUD from em28, darkeforce. tmlong is the author of Update Notifier and he has yet to post anywhere that he's quitting and/or looking to pass Update Notifier to a new developer.

See this, darkeforce: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... developers

Finally tmlong has never supported alphas, betas, or trunk (Minefield). So by default Update Notifier won't be available until sometime after Firefox 4 goes final due to the sheer amount of changes required even in extensions this time.

Basically be patient.
alexo

Post by alexo »

Ngamer01 wrote:
em28 wrote:DarkForce,

darkeforce wrote:Someone needs to pick up development on this addon. It's tremendously useful.

tmlong is the author of Update Notifier and he has yet to post anywhere that he's quitting and/or looking to pass Update Notifier to a new developer.

Finally tmlong has never supported alphas, betas, or trunk (Minefield). So by default Update Notifier won't be available until sometime after Firefox 4 goes final due to the sheer amount of changes required even in extensions this time.

Basically be patient.

Update Notifier is released under the MPL. If somebody feels strongly about it, they could always fork it, no permission from the original author is required.
Ngamer01

Post by Ngamer01 »

Credit would have to be given though unless you built your own Update Notifier from scratch without using tmlong's Update Notifier.
sunrisefirefly

Post by sunrisefirefly »

I have one glitch to report and a suggestion:

UN places its button in the far right end of the Menu Bar and unless I'm misunderstanding the options, there's presently no way to entirely remove it from that location. It can "hide" when there's no updates, but... If you hide the Menu Bar in the View>Toolbars menu, UN will force it to display whether or not it is displaying its own button. I prefer to hide my Menu Bar to add some extra space to the page display, so it thwarts this, but more importantly... It creates a glitch in conjunction with the Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar add-on; when the icon is set to hide on no updates, and Firefox is set to hide the Menu Bar,the website page displayed will bounce up and down by a couple pixels quickly and repeatedly.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing this, as I had just added (perhaps unwisely) 10 more add-ons at once when this behavior began. So I'd spare someone else the hassle of disabling/enabling all their add-ons one-by-one to figure out what's driving the browser crazy if there's an easy fix. Would it be possible to offer as an option which bar the button occupies? (i.e. Menu, Address, Status, etc.) Or at least have the add-on check to see if the Menu Bar is hidden, and respect that?

Also, this is something I've been wanting a few times now, after upgrading Firefox only to find out after the fact that certain add-ons I hate using it without aren't yet compatible with the new version. How about having UN check the current version of Firefox when it checks for updates, and if there's a new version, have it check all your add-ons and let you know which, if any, are incompatible before you download the update?