Embedded Windows Media/Launch.com in Firefox 1.0

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
spooks

Post by spooks »

Hi

I seem to have everything working EXCEPT Launchcast - even after setting the user agent, I get

"Error

Sorry, we do not support Netscape on the Windows platform.

Error Code: 25 - 0"

Any ideas - this is at uk.launch.yahoo.com
spooks

Post by spooks »

Should have looked more closely - this is the launchcast RADIO that is not working, sorry
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

You can get into it if you spoof as IE, but the radio still will not play.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
din100

Post by din100 »

yea Radio still doesn't play but who cares 1000s of other radio stations tat works wit FX :). I'm only worried abt the video and thats just fine now :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 (No IDN) Firefox/1.4
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8b4) Gecko/20050908 (No IDN) Firefox/1.4
Scottylad

Rich text editors... Active X controls?

Post by Scottylad »

I am having problems with Hotmail and Yahoo mail in that the rich text editors are not appearing when I use Firefox 1.0... I believe this is because the coloured fonts etc are an Active X control?

Am I correct in saying that the Active X plug-in in the guide given previously is only for enabling Active X functionality through Windows Media Player? How then, would I go about enabling the rich text editor in hotmail?

Thanks very much.
buddy779

Post by buddy779 »

Vectorspace wrote:
buddy779 wrote:When trying the ActiveX test. I get WMP 10 to pop up. WMP says says "connecting", then "connecting to media". The Web page says "Transitioning", but the view window stays black. Then WMP says "Ready" and the web page says "Status: 10". The window stays black. I have AdBlock disabled. Any suggestions?

You have to select the Harry Potter trailer on the left, then press the play button below. The others will just say "Status: 10" - I think they are broken.
Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my post. I was trying to view the Harry Potter clip when I got those results. But I did go to Accuradio and got sound.

Found the problem. I was using a proxy server. If you want to use one, you must configure it into WMP. Everything works fine now.
Last edited by buddy779 on November 22nd, 2004, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfamonkey

Post by sfamonkey »

I did all of this but I get a message saying launch doesn't support netscape. :(
Please Help
carpediemhk

Post by carpediemhk »

After I download the active-x from the above site, I could't install the extension. The message I got was " Firefox could not downlaod at file ://c:/windows/desktop/mozactivex-ff-10.xpi beacuse: restart to complete." I've tried the "click here" method but same message appeared.

Win98 se
firefox 1.0
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

sfamonkey wrote:I did all of this but I get a message saying launch doesn't support netscape. :(
Please Help

Were you trying to listen to Launch.com radio (launchcast)? I say in Note 3 of the guide that Launch/yahoo radio doesn't work

carpediemhk wrote:After I download the active-x from the above site, I could't install the extension. The message I got was " Firefox could not downlaod at file ://c:/windows/desktop/mozactivex-ff-10.xpi beacuse: restart to complete." I've tried the "click here" method but same message appeared.

Win98 se
firefox 1.0

Try downloading an extension xpi and installing it in the same way. If the same thing happens, then post a new topic saying you can't install xpi's.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post by Guest »

Has anyone got this to work with Media Player 6.4? I've done everything mentioned above.

*ducks to avoid flying food*

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Has anyone got this to work with Media Player 6.4? I've done everything mentioned above.

*ducks to avoid flying food*

Or at least everything in the first post.
AnonEmoose

Post by AnonEmoose »

Anonymous wrote:Has anyone got this to work with Media Player 6.4? I've done everything mentioned above.
this has be thoroughly test on WMP 6.4 too... It works... just make sure u followed EVERY step including changing your User Agent EVERY time BEFORE accessing Yahoo Launch.
fnkmaster

Post by fnkmaster »

Scottylad: no, this works with other ActiveX plugins than just Windows Media Player. The problem is some ActiveX components also rely on IE-specific Javascript, like the Yahoo Rich Text Editor. I tried the ActiveX plugin with it the other day - if you switch UserAgent to spoof IE 6, Yahoo mail will send the ActiveX rich text editing component down the pipe, and I set the ActiveX plugin to run anything (just as a test while on mail.yahoo.com - don't actually leave your browser set like this, very unsafe of course). The rich text editor shows up, but the buttons don't appear to work so it's not actually useable.

I have had similar experiences with some other ActiveX components - it seems like the simple ones are more likely to work without a problem, and the funkier more interactive ones are less likely to work. This ActiveX plugin is pretty neat and does its job quite well, but it's not a cure-all to the woes of IE-only site content.
firefoxlover

mozactivex-ff-10.xpi

Post by firefoxlover »

Please, Vectorspace :
User Support Moderator

I try and try to install this mozactivex but no success.
I follow exactly all the required steps but the damned no want to install.
I get the message " Installation performed successfully, you must restart the browser for the changes to take effect"
After reloaded the firefox still it no exist in the Extension window, and of course no radio on the link for test the activex code.

PLEASE HELP.
fnkmaster

Post by fnkmaster »

firefoxlover: it's not actually an extension, it's a plugin, so you won't see anything in your extensions window. Make sure you shut down Firefox all the way (CTRL-ALT-DEL to go to task manager, if you see firefox.exe, kill it). In this one case, you might even be advised to try restarting your computer, since I had some trouble getting the plugin to be recognized (had to restart FF several times).

As for radio - not sure which test link you mean. The test link on the ActiveX plugin download site should have several movie clips to view. Make sure you are testing on that page since it's known to work and doesn't require any funny tweaking. Like I said, reboot and try again if all else fails, and you should at least see those movie clips on the test page now.