Where did our files go?

Discuss application theming and theme development.
mcdavis

Re: Where did our files go?

Post by mcdavis »

Yeah. Here's the command I'm using (obviously, with my own paths in there):

Code: Select all

cd d:\mcd\dvl\moztheme\
rem "change date for nightly version "
mkdir fx3.7nightly-0915
cd fx3.7nightly-0915
rem "extracts to current directory"
c:\mozilla-build\info-zip\unzip d:\app\fx3.7nightly\omni.jar chrome\*

Or just leave off the chrome\* bit to get it all.
Last edited by mcdavis on September 20th, 2010, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theme Development is Radical Participation.
NNL Beta Builds for Current and Up-coming Firefox
Dear User: Your Help is Needed
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Sometimes installed add-ons get repacked as XPIs in the profile/extensions directory. Only a couple, though ... most are in directories of their own. Which ones get repacked and which ones stay in their own directories?

(This is about Bug 533038, the extensions side of omnijar work.)

My own add-on was one of those getting repacked, making it hard to edit the chrome.manifest after install to point to my working files, so I've gone with em:unpacked=true for now. I'd rather just keep doing it the old way if I can figure out how.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

This is probably one of those cases where it's good to have a separate developing install.rdf. In my main theme directory I put in an extra folder called "test". In there I put reference files like notes on things I am working on and various things from the default theme I'm working on including as well as a special chrome.manifest and install.rdf. Then I have two separate xpi's/jar's as well. myaddon.jar and myaddon-test.jar. The first one is for the release version and the second one is for my development version. The development version uses beta version numbers, the single-jar file structure and unpack=true. The release version has the jar-within-a-jar structure, and skips the other two.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

Hmmm.... I don't how you guys have your workbenchs organized. For me, my extension is only packaged when I ship it. The most time it is just a folder named "myExtensionID" with all my files inside it organized according chrome manifest as showed below:

So, I only have to copy and paste this folder inside the extensions folder in my workbench profile. The next time I restart Firefox, the extension will be installed.
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

ShareBird wrote:Hmmm.... I don't how you guys have your workbenchs organized. For me, my extension is only packaged when I ship it. The most time it is just a folder named "myExtensionID" with all my files inside it organized according chrome manifest as showed below:

So, I only have to copy and paste this folder inside the extensions folder in my workbench profile. The next time I restart Firefox, the extension will be installed.

If the theme or extension is already installed, the old directory structure remains intact. It's the installer that creates the repacked xpi whether it is a new add-on or an update to an existing add-on.

Something I tested and found that works is this: If you are installing something for the first time or updating something that already exists don't use the installer. Instead create a subdirectory with the add-on's GUID. Unpack the theme.jar or extension.xpi and copy the files into that subdirectory just like it appears in your screenshot, then edit the extension.ini file with the path. Start up Firefox and the add-on will be installed without that blasted repacked xpi.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
ehume

Post by ehume »

CatThief wrote:If the theme or extension is already installed, the old directory structure remains intact. It's the installer that creates the repacked xpi whether it is a new add-on or an update to an existing add-on.

Something I tested and found that works is this: If you are installing something for the first time or updating something that already exists don't use the installer. Instead create a subdirectory with the add-on's GUID. Unpack the theme.jar or extension.xpi and copy the files into that subdirectory just like it appears in your screenshot, then edit the extension.ini file with the path. Start up Firefox and the add-on will be installed without that blasted repacked xpi.

Thank you. Crucial info, this.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
ShareBird

Post by ShareBird »

CatThief wrote:
ShareBird wrote:Something I tested and found that works is this: If you are installing something for the first time or updating something that already exists don't use the installer. Instead create a subdirectory with the add-on's GUID. Unpack the theme.jar or extension.xpi and copy the files into that subdirectory just like it appears in your screenshot, then edit the extension.ini file with the path. Start up Firefox and the add-on will be installed without that blasted repacked xpi.

I don't think it's necessary to edit the extensions.ini file. Just placing this subdirectory inside the extensions folder is enough to install the extension. Actually this is what I do and have described above :-)
Silvermel - A Theme for Firefox and Thunderbird
YATT - Yet Another Theme Tutorial
Don't give a man a fish. Teach him how to fish instead.
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

ShareBird wrote:I don't think it's necessary to edit the extensions.ini file. Just placing this subdirectory inside the extensions folder is enough to install the extension. Actually this is what I do and have described above :-)

Ahhh, so you did, ShareBird. My apologies for reading your post too quickly.
Still passionate for Mozilla themes and extensions, just not actively developing them for public release anymore.
mcdavis

Post by mcdavis »

Thanks for the information, everybody. It's nice to know what some of the options are as we live on the bleeding edge yet again.

It turns out I am able to edit the renamed xpi after installing to make the chrome.manifest point to my local files, just like before. For some reason I thought you couldn't, but it's working fine now.
patrickjdempsey

Edit: sorry, I posted in the wrong thread.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
CatThief

Post by CatThief »

Forgive me if this is old news, but I found something on this blog that will allow us to install our themes without having them converted into the packed xpi file. It's as simple as adding <em:unpack>true</em:unpack> to install.rdf. :D
KLB

Post by KLB »

In case someone comes along trying to figure out what is needed from the omni.jar file to build a theme, I was able to build a working default theme by copying the following folders to a separate theme folder:

chrome\browser\skin\classic\aero\
chrome\browser\skin\classic\browser\
chrome\browser\skin\classic\communicator\
chrome\toolkit\content\global\
chrome\toolkit\content\mozapps\

I don't know if there are other folders, but so far all seems to be working just fine for me.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
patrickjdempsey

I noticed that there were also aero folders in toolkit, but I didn't keep in them to see what was there.
KLB

Post by KLB »

I'm still running on WinXP so I don't currently support aero in my theme and left them out of my theme. Once I get a new machine I'll add in aero support for my theme.
Ken Barbalace - AMO Editor (I focus on reviewing themes)
I maintain Classic Compact, a very compact yet clean Firefox theme.
EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Periodic Table)
ehume

Post by ehume »

Do they still have a chrome.manifest file?
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.