Pop-Ups after update!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ShelboDee

Pop-Ups after update!

Post by ShelboDee »

I'm not sure when the most recent update was, but I DO remember that these pop-ups started happening after the recent update.
It's not on any specific site...it's on any random site. For example, I have an online class. And when I go to my schools website, I'll have 1 or 2 pop-ups come up talking about college reducing fees and what not. That's never happened before...The pop up's I'm getting seem to go with the site that I'm viewing.
Not like how malware makes completely irrelevant pop-ups..and mostly dirty ones. I haven't got any like that.
So I downloaded the firefox add on called "add-block plus". I think it's called that...and it doesn't seem to be working at all :( I'm still getting pop-ups like crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions? It's getting super annoying!
DanRaisch

Re: Pop-Ups after update!

Post by DanRaisch »

Under Tools->Options->Content do you have "Block pop-up windows" selected?
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

AdBlock Plus will be able to do it's job, properly, only after either installing a filterset subscription or configuring it manually.
Check into both the "EasyList" and "EasyPrivacy" filtersets here.

Also, help forum: http://adblockplus.org/forum/
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."
elist

Post by elist »

sounds like spyware...
I is posible when a new version of firefox instaled/upgrade, when it check for compatibility for add-ons, ...firefox update an add-on, but a new version of add-on contain spyware?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

What!?
There's no way that Firefox or any extension will include "Spyware" or anything else, malicious.
Please don't suggest that it does.
Too many checks done beforehand.

@ ShelboDee,
See > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
elist

Post by elist »

No it's not what i said, but a creator of an extention can ad spyware in an add-on.
I don't remember witch one, but the previous version of that add-on was Ok, but the "New" version contain random adds (when browsing over the web) ...
I think it was someting for video downloading.
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/can_a_fire ... yware.html
http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/07/ ... ouncement/
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Well, the 1st one you posted is from 2006/7....& reads as follows...
[q]The extension isn't one you get off the Firefox site, however, but one that arrives as spam identifying itself as "a helpful extension for Firefox". Install the extension and it loads just like the real numberedlinks extension. But it's not.
[/q]
& the 2nd situation has apparently been taken care of as well.
[q]
Upon discovery on July 12th, the add-on was disabled and added to the blocklist, which will prompt the add-on to be uninstalled for all current users.
[/q]
;)
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
elist

Post by elist »

Ok :-)
Just a question (I think it is). Firefox, when new version is instaled, just re-check for add-ons compatibility/update in their list listed there
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/) ?

Anyway I'm sorry for any misunderstood i do :-)
And i appology to ShelboDee for aving pollute a bit he's topic :-)
ShelboDee

Post by ShelboDee »

Hello all. When I go to the options menu, I DO have the box checked to "block" pop-ups. Along with the add-on.
But still, even today..I'm getting pop-ups :(
I scanned my whole computer for any virus...and the results were clean.

Also, the pop-ups are from Firefox. It has the little fox symbol in the top left and it says "Mozilla Firefox" on the bar as well.

Soo I'm still not sure what could be the problem...
elist

Post by elist »

Can you put the ads web address (here in this topic) ? (if you can, just broke the link, example: "htt p:// forums mozillazine org" )
With that url i can (and others) having ideas from where those ads came from. :-)
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

ShelboDee wrote:When I go to the options menu, I DO have the box checked to "block" pop-ups. Along with the add-on.
But still, even today..I'm getting pop-ups...

Also, the pop-ups are from Firefox. It has the little fox symbol in the top left and it says "Mozilla Firefox" on the bar as well.

Soo I'm still not sure what could be the problem...

KB wrote:Some popups opened through JavaScript are beyond the realm of the internal blocker (at least for now)...

...you can use the NoScript extension to allow only certain sites to use JavaScript, or you can use the Adblock or Adblock Plus extension with filters applied.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Killing_pop-u ... JavaScript
See above post for links to filtersets.
AdBlock Plus will not function without either filtersets, manual configuration, or both.

The popups are not "from Firefox"... the only reason that you notice the Firefox logo is because the popup is 'running through the browser'.
Ab subabsurda numquid ad veritas. "From the somewhat absurd possibility to reality."

Post by Guest »

So with the add-block plus add on...whenever I enter a site and get a pop up, I have to go in and "filter" that site?
I've never had to do this before, because I've never had this problem.

It's just frustrating because I've had my computer for years, along with firefox, and I've never had this issue.
And now all of the sudden, there are pop-ups everywhere.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

As already suggested, if you have popups everywhere then you probably have an infection on your machine. Have you preformed any Anti Malware scans? Spyware and adware are different than viruses and depending on what AV you have it may not catch them all. Try Malwarebytes.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
GTryder

Post by GTryder »

Guest wrote:So with the add-block plus add on...whenever I enter a site and get a pop up, I have to go in and "filter" that site?

JIC all the posted links are inoperable:\
EasyList Subscriptions [FAQ's] wrote:
ABP by itself blocks nothing on its own! ... only 'Subscriptions' or filters do.
Adblock Plus is a fabulous piece of work created & maintained by Wladimir Palant ... but it comes as an empty, non-blocking program that is awaiting instructions on what to do. It will not block anything at all if it is not given any instructions.

When ABP is installed for the first time, it will ask you if you want to 'subscribe' to a known maintained list of 3rd-party filters...
EasyList Subscriptions [home page]: wrote: 1. EasyList (blocks and/or hides ads):
EasyList is the "main" subscription. It blocks and/or hides image ads, flash ads, script ads, iFrames... and also (by default) it will block many cookies, trackers, & spyware issues associated with those same blocked sites. All regular adblocking filter strings the filters in this subscription 'block' the ads from being downloaded.
2. EasyPrivacy (blocks tracking,web bugs):
This is an OPTIONAL subscription to help protect your privacy. It is to be added along with the EasyList subscription. The EasyPrivacy subscription blocks many different types of tracking, web bugs, and marketing-analysis strings.
.... and best of all ... THEY'RE FREE!

And Yes. You can still configure additional filters.
brazendreams

Post by brazendreams »

I've been having the same issue as the OP since upgrading to FF4. It's very frustrating. I open FF4 and 90% of the time I get a popup in a secondary tab of the browser window that I opened. It didn't popup in the sense that it is it's own window, but a tab in the same window. YES, popups are blocked via firefox settings. I don't have the Adblocker. I have NoScript. I disabled all addons and it still does it. There is no spyware or malware on my computer unless that spyware was ultimately hidden and was set to trigger with the update of FF4. Which I highly doubt. I have scanned my PC several times looking and there's just. Nothing.