thunderbird and "#4.5.3 Too many recipients" issues...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
stumped by TB

thunderbird and "#4.5.3 Too many recipients" issues...

Post by stumped by TB »

i use thunderbird for two pop email accounts. up until a few weeks ago, i was able to send emails to a large number of recipients (whether bcc'd or not). by "large", i mean over a hundred recipients.

however, as of 4 days ago, i am no longer able to send emails to large recipient lists; i keep getting the following alert:
"Alert
The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: #4.5.3 Too many recipients.."

the situation is quite cumbersome and untenable, as i am not able to send any emails to more than 5 people without the alert appearing (and the email not being sent)!

the only explanation i can think of is that i recently upgraded to thunderbird 3.1.4 (ie., just over a week ago). the problem seems to correlate chronologically, though it may be a coincidence.

as i mention above, in the past (and up until very recently), i was able to send emails to multiple recipients (upwards of 100-200 recipients) through thunderbird, with my current OS and ISP. however, there are no other changes to my operating system or my internet service provider that i am aware of.

of note, my roommate, who uses the same OS and ISP as me (though via a separate computer, of course), but who has not upgraded to thunderbird 3.1.4, does not seem to be having this problem. as such, i am assuming the issue is related to thunderbird.

have other people had similar problems? any idea about how to deal with this (setting up recipient lists doesn't deal with the issue)? can this be a bug with the new thunderbird (ie., version 3.1.4)?

thanks for the help!
DanRaisch

Re: thunderbird and "#4.5.3 Too many recipients" issues...

Post by DanRaisch »

Are there images or other attachments included in the messages that result in these error messages?
stumped by TB

Post by stumped by TB »

nope, no attachments or images.

and, the size of the email itself is negligible (32KB) and far smaller than other emails i've successfully sent in the past to multiple recipients.
ridgebyj

Post by ridgebyj »

I am experiancing the same problem as above. Cannot send e mails with large number of recipients
This has only been happening in the last week or so. No problem before that.
So what needs to be done to resolve this. Maybe I should go back to the previous up grade??

stumped by TB wrote:i use thunderbird for two pop email accounts. up until a few weeks ago, i was able to send emails to a large number of recipients (whether bcc'd or not). by "large", i mean over a hundred recipients.

however, as of 4 days ago, i am no longer able to send emails to large recipient lists; i keep getting the following alert:
"Alert
The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: #4.5.3 Too many recipients.."

the situation is quite cumbersome and untenable, as i am not able to send any emails to more than 5 people without the alert appearing (and the email not being sent)!

the only explanation i can think of is that i recently upgraded to thunderbird 3.1.4 (ie., just over a week ago). the problem seems to correlate chronologically, though it may be a coincidence.

as i mention above, in the past (and up until very recently), i was able to send emails to multiple recipients (upwards of 100-200 recipients) through thunderbird, with my current OS and ISP. however, there are no other changes to my operating system or my internet service provider that i am aware of.

of note, my roommate, who uses the same OS and ISP as me (though via a separate computer, of course), but who has not upgraded to thunderbird 3.1.4, does not seem to be having this problem. as such, i am assuming the issue is related to thunderbird.

have other people had similar problems? any idea about how to deal with this (setting up recipient lists doesn't deal with the issue)? can this be a bug with the new thunderbird (ie., version 3.1.4)?

thanks for the help!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

ridgebyj, since you may be using a different ISP/email provider, you might check with them to see if they have changed their policy on the number of addresses permissible on one outgoing email. The set limits on those things to reduce the risk of their system being used for sending spam.
stumped by TB

Post by stumped by TB »

ridgebyj wrote:I am experiancing the same problem as above. Cannot send e mails with large number of recipients
This has only been happening in the last week or so. No problem before that.
So what needs to be done to resolve this. Maybe I should go back to the previous up grade??

has this problem coincided with an upgrade to thunderbird 3.1.4 for you as well?
ridgebyj

Post by ridgebyj »

For anybody that is having problems with Thuderbird sending e mails to mor than 20 or less recipients
try this.
Go to Thunderbird mail account settings. Check to see what the Outgoing Server is.
If it is SMTP in the box change it to SMTPHM. I did and it solved the problem. I can now send up to 99 different recipients when it was having trouble sending 30 and ended uo only being able to send 20 or less.
It is a recipient restriction not the length of the e mail. It is likely done to discourage Spam senders a noble thought???
Hope this solves your problem
John Beveridge
stumped by TB

Post by stumped by TB »

thanks for the follow-up.

what does adding "hm" do exactly?

i came across another forum entry (http://www.ottawaforums.com/forum/index ... topic=1695) that suggests that the "hm" suffix is short for "hotmail". not sure if that is the case, but if so, seems a bit strange...

meanwhile, did you start having problems when you upgraded to TB 3.1.4?

ridgebyj wrote:For anybody that is having problems with Thuderbird sending e mails to mor than 20 or less recipients
try this.
Go to Thunderbird mail account settings. Check to see what the Outgoing Server is.
If it is SMTP in the box change it to SMTPHM. I did and it solved the problem. I can now send up to 99 different recipients when it was having trouble sending 30 and ended uo only being able to send 20 or less.
It is a recipient restriction not the length of the e mail. It is likely done to discourage Spam senders a noble thought???
Hope this solves your problem
John Beveridge
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

The "hm" will only work if that's what your email provider offers. You can't just randomly rename server names and expect them to work.

Post by Guest »

I'm having exactly the same problem and yes I have Thunderbird 3.1.4. I tried putting the hm on but it was rejected. Any suggestions? Go back to an earlier version of Thunderbird?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Of course it was rejected. As I stated above, that will only work if your provider requires it in their server name. You can't just randomly change what they require.

Now, please start a new topic since you probably have a different provider than the original poster.
thomyj99

Post by thomyj99 »

Daifne wrote:The "hm" will only work if that's what your email provider offers. You can't just randomly rename server names and expect them to work.

I love sarcasm daifne, but it is definitely not fixing the issue. Anything constructive on this topic? So we can all learn?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Thanks for your sarcastic post, but you've replied to a thread that's been dead for almost a year. The version of Thunderbird involved back there has been obsolete for almost as long. If you want support you should create a new topic and provide details of your Thunderbird installation and the problem you're having.

Locking this due to the age of the original posts.