Firefox Freezes When Playing Video

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
brettb8787

Firefox Freezes When Playing Video

Post by brettb8787 »

Recently Firefox has been freezing when I try to watch any kind of video online. It freezes occasionally on other sites without video, but it always happens when I try to watch a video. I have also found that when this happens, I am able to get it to unfreeze sometimes if I repeatedly right click my open Firefox on the taskbar. I can watch videos just fine on Internet Explorer, so this seems to just be a Firefox issue. I have Firefox version 3.6.10 and Shockwave Flash version 10.1.82.76. I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, but this did not work. Anyone else have this issue or have any possible solutions?
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Firefox Freezes When Playing Video

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

I have the same Flash version: 10.1.82.76.

What add-ons might you be using? Have you tried the same links (Flash) with a clean profile?

I always test with my sons site - he is a scuba diver and has lots of Flash videos available.

http://www.gotnarcosis.com/Videos.aspx
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
bgoot

Post by bgoot »

Disable flash hardware acceleration:
1) Start a flash movie
2) Right click on the video
3) Click on the tab that shows the monitor with the eye in it.
4) Uncheck Hardware acceleration

and /or disable plugin-container.exe for flash:
go to about:config as if it was a website like abcnews.com
search for swf
double click dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll to toggle it to false if it isn't already
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
brettb8787

Post by brettb8787 »

bgoot, your second tip for disabling the plugin-container.exe for flash seems to have done the trick.

Thank you very much. It's pretty annoying not being able to watch video.