miniT 20110327

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

I'm really confused on the term "reordering" [tablib] as opposed to tab dragging. Is it the same thing? Obviously, not. Someone care to explain the difference?

Thanks.

Side note: Having this many extensions/breakoffs/variants of the miniT extension is crazy. Why doesn't someone take it upon themself to create one to bind them all? Yes, I know of TBE and all the craze and fear behind it. But I really do believe binding all these then adding a preferences/options dialogue to allow each feature to be turned on and off as we like is possible. I apologize if the reason was to avoid an extension like TBE [for there maybe be code issues I'm not considering] but with so many few options we have here broken off into many others it couldn't hurt to design one capable of them all.
Current: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b2pre) Gecko/2007112000 Minefield/3.0b2pre
For kicks: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6
dorando

Post by dorando »

oldtimer wrote:I'm really confused on the term "reordering" [tablib] as opposed to tab dragging. Is it the same thing? Obviously, not. Someone care to explain the difference?

tablib provides the background functionality to make tab dragging possible but does not contain tab dragging functionality itself. It could be used as basis to provide a "Move Tab to Left/Right/Start/End" menuitem.

oldtimer wrote:Side note: Having this many extensions/breakoffs/variants of the miniT extension is crazy. Why doesn't someone take it upon themself to create one to bind them all? [...] But I really do believe binding all these then adding a preferences/options dialogue to allow each feature to be turned on and off as we like is possible.

sboulema version does that already, except for the drop indicator.

oldtimer wrote:I apologize if the reason was to avoid an extension like TBE [for there maybe be code issues I'm not considering] but with so many few options we have here broken off into many others it couldn't hurt to design one capable of them all.

The versions by me were requested exactly this way.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

dorando wrote:
Wolfey wrote:Unfortunately, with that option disabled, I won't be able to scroll through tabs now :(

This WFM. With which miniT variant and version happens this?

In addition to the original miniT, I've just tested out the other four variants of miniT (tabscroll, drag, drag+indicator, and sboulema) recently. All five of them were downloaded from your site.

Only the original miniT (version 20040920) and miniT (tabscroll) were affected by this. The other three variants of miniT (drag, drag+indicator, and sboulema) work without a problem.

[EDIT: Added the four variants of miniT to this list, along with which are affected, and which are OK.]
dorando

Post by dorando »

Uhm, you say that scrolling through tabs only works if you disable "Scroll wheel in tab bar" in AiO and use a miniT variant which either hasn't this feature or has it disabled by default. Seems rather unlikely to me, please reread my previous posts.

As a side note having miniT and miniT (sboulema) installed renders one of them unusable as one overwrites the other at runtime (because they have the same chrome:name) even if only one is enabled.
Wolfey

Post by Wolfey »

Regarding the versions of miniT that I tested...Here they are:
  • miniT (drag+indicator) 0.4/20040301(?).
  • miniT (tabscroll) 20040914.
  • miniT (drag) 20040920.
  • miniT (original) 20040920.
  • miniT (sboulema) 20040920.1. Tab-skipping occurs only if "Enable tabbar scrolling" is checked. It works OK if "Enable tabbar scrolling" is unchecked.
All of them were tested with All-in-One Gestures installed, and making sure its "scroll wheel in tab bar" option was checked. If that option is unchecked (or if All-in-One Gestures is not installed), none of these will have the tab-skipping problem (especially drag and drag+indicator, since they do not have tab-scrolling).

Maybe a note should be added regarding possible conflicts with tab-scrolling (the tab-skipping problem I mentioned) if both miniT and All-in-One Gestures are installed, or maybe (if both are installed and that option in All-in-One Gestures is checked) one of them has their tab-scrolling option overridden (to keep tab-skipping from occuring)?

Just a suggestion, that's all :)

dorando wrote:As a side note having miniT and miniT (sboulema) installed renders one of them unusable as one overwrites the other at runtime (because they have the same chrome:name) even if only one is enabled.

Uh...I'm sorry for not mentioning this earlier (and I should have mentioned it :oops:), but when testing out miniT and its variants, I did it like this (all were done in a new profile):
  1. Install a variant of miniT (for simplicity, the original miniT will also be considered a variant here) and restart Firefox.
  2. Open up multiple tabs, and scroll through them, seeing if the scrolling order is affected. Take note as to whether it works OK, or if tabs are skipped when scrolling.
  3. Uninstall the current variant of miniT and restart Firefox.
  4. Repeat the above steps until all variants have been tested.
This way, I could make sure that only one variant was installed at any particular time (to avoid conflicts between variants), with a restart in between, to make sure nothing went wrong in the installation/uninstallation process.

[EDIT: Added in version information for miniT variants, as well as a note regarding the conflict with All-in-One Gestures.]
humphrey9

Post by humphrey9 »

Hi

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=161
with this one
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/extfiref ... _pass3.xpi
i get an huge performance hit using 50+ tabs. anyone can me please give a hint to only use "open tab right to mine" and the scrollwheel on my mouse to switch tabs?
Thank you
Mark
Last edited by humphrey9 on December 19th, 2006, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JR_Baas

Post by JR_Baas »

The only complaint that I have with 20040920.3 is when you open a tab from a bookmark, and there are no tabs open, it still loads a new tab, thus giving you a untitled tab, and the bookmark tab. It would work a lot nicer if it checked to see that there were no current tabs, and load the bookmark in the untitled tab. I also have tabbrowser preferences installed.
RockOfVictory

Still don't understand docShell.allow*

Post by RockOfVictory »

dorando wrote:
Vigil wrote:Just what are docShell.allow* attributes, anyway?

Described here. These are sticky for the lifetime of the tab.

That doesn't help much, but I guess if I can't understand it, I don't need to use it anyway. Looks like it basically holds tab history longer, but I don't see any difference if I have

Code: Select all

#miniT-docShell, #sep-miniT-docShell {display:none}
in the userChrome.css or not.
~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google. (Running FF 2/WinXP)
dorando

Re: Still don't understand docShell.allow*

Post by dorando »

humphrey9 wrote:i get an huge performance hit using 50+ tabs.
I do get the same ammount of performance loss with miniT or without it.

RockOfVictory wrote:[...]but I don't see any difference if I have

#miniT-docShell, #sep-miniT-docShell {display:none}
in the userChrome.css or not.
WFM, no idea why I doesn't hide the docShell menu for you.

JR_Baas wrote:The only complaint that I have with 20040920.3 is when you open a tab from a bookmark, and there are no tabs open, it still loads a new tab, thus giving you a untitled tab, and the bookmark tab. It would work a lot nicer if it checked to see that there were no current tabs, and load the bookmark in the untitled tab. I also have tabbrowser preferences installed.
You are using miniT (sboulema), this is not a feature of the main package.
JR_Baas

Re: Still don't understand docShell.allow*

Post by JR_Baas »

dorando wrote:You are using miniT (sboulema), this is not a feature of the main package.

Where to I post a message for miniT (sboulema)?
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

already read your post ;)
dunno how to add that, but will look if i can come up with something
onemen

Post by onemen »

i'm try to write extension that the users will have the abilitiy to choose where they want new tab.

i copy the "moveTabTo" function

gBrowser.moveTabTo = function (aTab, aIndex)
{
  this.mTabFilters.splice(aIndex,0,this.mTabFilters.splice(aTab._tPos, 1)[0]);
  this.mTabListeners.splice(aIndex,0,this.mTabListeners.splice(aTab._tPos, 1)[0]);

aIndex = aIndex < aTab._tPos ? aIndex: aIndex+1;
  this.mCurrentTab.selected = false;
  this.mTabContainer.insertBefore(aTab, this.mTabs[aIndex]);
  for(var i = 0; i < this.mTabs.length; i++){this.mTabs[i]._tPos = i;}
  this.mCurrentTab.selected = true;
  return aTab;
}

but it's not work well. if i try to make new tab to be the first tab. i get error message from undoclosetab and from that moment i can not close tab in that window.

can you give some explanation on the code. (what is _tPos ?)
do i have to use all the tablib.xul....?

i try also another method for switch between tab, i switch 3 attributes
1 - the tab label
2 - the tab image
3 - the tab linkedpanel

it's look good but again it's conflict with undoclosetab ](*,)
dorando

Post by dorando »

20041125: [miniT, miniT (drag), tablib]
- Cleanup after the rewrite, should be slightly faster (likely not noticable) [tablib]
- Changed doubleclick on tab/tabbar to only react on left click (as Firefox does already).

onemen wrote:i get error message from undoclosetab and[...]
Since gBrowser.moveTabTo is defined, undoclosetab assumes a TBE/tablib compatible implementation.
onemen wrote:what is _tPos ?
The tab position, so tablib doesn't need to calculate it everytime it's needed.
onemen wrote:do i have to use all the tablib.xul....?
Yes, most of the code is dependent to each other. Or you could make your extension depend on tablib being installed.
onemen wrote:i try also another method for switch between tab, i switch 3 attributes
1 - the tab label
2 - the tab image
3 - the tab linkedpanel
Tabbrowser doesn't use the linkedPanel concept by default, so this likely causes proplems without something like tablib.
onemen

Post by onemen »

dorando wrote:Tabbrowser doesn't use the linkedPanel concept by default, so this likely causes proplems without something like tablib.
so what concept the Tabbrowser use ??
for change tab position i try to use

this.mTabs[i].ordinal = i
instead of

this.mTabs[i]._tPos = i
but the Browser crashes

why miniT 2041125 dosen't have pref-minit.xul how can one change options?
morpurgo

Post by morpurgo »

My Opinion

I use MiniT (D&I) 0.4.1 and now i see that everyone wants to make a version of this extension. This is what i would call “not seeing the forest because of the trees”. Why not make one extension that has all options, and delete the rest. Open Source i think is not for showing off your one product, but to work and make something for the world together.
P4-2.4, 1024mb WXP SP3/Notebook 1536Mb WVISTA SP1 | Thunderbird 2.x latest | Firefox 3.5 | Openoffice.org 2.x | ComodoIS 3.9 | LAN 10-100