keyconfig 20110522

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
dorando

Re: keyconfig 20080929

Post by dorando »

gwhtech wrote:I'm trying to get keyconfig working with the latest version of Thunderbird with no success. I can disable the key commands and they disappear (apply, close), but the key sequences still do the same thing. Does anyone have this working anywhere?
Do the shortcuts still work after restarting Thunderbird? It seem in Thunderbird 3 onward disabling doesn't work immediately for some reason.

jek60 wrote:Any idea why the "b" and "u" key bindings don't work in the edit panel?

Here is the python script for editing the toolkit.jar file:

Code: Select all

[...]
    if filename == "locale/en-US/editor/editorOverlay.dtd":
      #
        filestr = re.sub( r'<!ENTITY stylebold.keybinding "b">',         r'<!ENTITY stylebold.keybinding "q">',         filestr)
        filestr = re.sub( r'<!ENTITY styleunderline.keybinding "u">',    r'<!ENTITY styleunderline.keybinding ")">',    filestr)
        filestr = re.sub( r'<!ENTITY editcheckspelling.keybinding "k">', r'<!ENTITY editcheckspelling.keybinding "(">', filestr)
[...]
The entity names have changed, but you could also use keyconfig to change these.
jek60

Post by jek60 »

dorando wrote:The entity names have changed, but you could also use keyconfig to change these.

Thank you. Yeah, I realized shortly after posting that I hadn't checked that file but got whirled away into other things.

I can't remember any longer why I had to use the Python script to modify the codes. Something wasn't working at the time or "Global" caused undesired behavior in some contexts.

I will try a pure keyconfig-based emacs keybinding approach and see if the old script is now not needed and report back if there are issues.

BTW, I can't access the link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyconfig_extension:_Firefox although Google has a cached version.

It would be useful to have that link somewhere in the page viewtopic.php?t=72994
jek60

Post by jek60 »

OK, I entered the emacs keybindings using keyconfig and everything seems to work other than ctrl-A which still does a select all (as you warned in the dialog).

In this post here: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=72994&start=1169 you said:
dorando wrote:Also note that some combinations like Ctrl+A (grayed out in keyconfig) can't be used without setting ui.key.accelKey to 18 (changes most Ctrl+ to Alt+) or 224 (changes most Ctrl+ to Meta+ which is unusable on windows).

Would you mind explaining a little about this? Changing ctrl to alt isn't particularly desirable.

Thanks.

Here are the resulting prefs.js for keyconfig:

Code: Select all

user_pref("keyconfig.global.20080929", "");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_close", "control shift][W][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_editAsNew", "control shift][E][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_find", "control shift][F][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_newMessage2", "control shift][N][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_print", "control shift][P][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_quickSearchFocus", "!][][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_selectAll", "!][][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.key_viewPageSource", "!][][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_A", "control][A][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_beginLine\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_B", "control][B][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_charPrevious\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_D", "control][D][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_deleteCharForward\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_E", "control][E][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_endLine\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_F", "control][F][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_charNext\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_H", "control][H][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_deleteCharBackward\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_K", "control][K][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_deleteToEndOfLine\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_N", "control][N][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_lineNext\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_P", "control][P][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_linePrevious\")][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_U", "control][U][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_selectBeginLine\"); goDoCommand(\"cmd_delete\");][");
user_pref("keyconfig.main.xxx_key__emacs_ctrl_W", "control][W][][goDoCommand(\"cmd_deleteWordBackward\")][");
gwhtech

Post by gwhtech »

Dorando:
Yes, I've restarted Thunderbird and even restarted the system to no avail. Nothing seems to disable the function. Any ideas?
droope

Post by droope »

Hiya. Tried to update this to work with latest open alpha, but had no success

If anyone is willing to help me [-o< I tried to edit install.rdf and then "open with" the xpi file, but have no clue. If anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd me grateful. :)

Regards,
Pedro
zegames

Post by zegames »

Why this extension is not available in Amo pages?
zegames

Post by zegames »

droope wrote:Hiya. Tried to update this to work with latest open alpha, but had no success

If anyone is willing to help me [-o< I tried to edit install.rdf and then "open with" the xpi file, but have no clue. If anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd me grateful. :)

Regards,
Pedro

Try this one http://www.firefox.net.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32040
droope

Post by droope »

zegames wrote:
droope wrote:Hiya. Tried to update this to work with latest open alpha, but had no success

Regards,
Pedro

Try this one http://www.firefox.net.cn/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32040

¡Hi! ¡Thank you very much!

Still, no luck at the scary chinese site either. I don't know it it's a seamonkey alpha bug or what, it says "Seamonkey prevented ... " I click install, and it gets stuck at transferring...

8-[

I will try uninstalling prev version and report back

[strong]edit:[/strong] no luck ;(
dorando

Post by dorando »

jek60 wrote:
dorando wrote:Also note that some combinations like Ctrl+A (grayed out in keyconfig) can't be used without setting ui.key.accelKey to 18 (changes most Ctrl+ to Alt+) or 224 (changes most Ctrl+ to Meta+ which is unusable on windows).
Would you mind explaining a little about this? Changing ctrl to alt isn't particularly desirable.
Many <key>s and <handler>s use "accel" as modifier which will be replaced by another modifier according to that pref (by default to Cmd on MacOS, Alt on BeOS, and Ctrl on all others). You can see these in keyconfig by setting keyconfig.devmode to true. Shortcuts modified with keyconfig won't be affected.

gwhtech wrote:Yes, I've restarted Thunderbird and even restarted the system to no avail. Nothing seems to disable the function. Any ideas?
Anything in the Tools > Error Console? Which Thunderbird version exactly? Does it also fail if all other extensions have been disabled?

droope wrote:[...] "open with" the xpi file, but have no clue.
.xpi is the same as .zip

zegames wrote:Why this extension is not available in Amo pages?
I've never submitted it.
gwhtech

Post by gwhtech »

Dorando: Nothing in the Error Console. Thunderbird 3.1.4. Disabled ALL extensions and it still fails. Has no effect on the functioning of the shortcut keys.
mantra

Post by mantra »

dorando wrote:keyconfig allows you to change keyboard shortcuts. [/url].

wow!!!

i love it

can i reset all the shortcuts i edited?
i mean for example i forget some keys i edited

can i reset all the shortcuts to default?

thanks

windows 7 and xp
thunderbird last built
http://www.pcmech.com/article/clearing- ... he-how-to/
windows firefox 49.0.2 ,thunderbird 45.4 and under linux , firefox and thunderbird are always updated
OzarksCrescentMural

Post by OzarksCrescentMural »

I can't believe I can't find this anywhere, but I've searched for it.

What's the keyconfig command for closing a window?

What's the keyconfig command for closing the current tab?

Thank you!

I always appreciate the help. I have to search a lot for my job and by using keyconfig to automate my shortcuts, I've made my job so fast and easy.
OzarksCrescentMural

I found it.

To close the current tab:

var tab = gBrowser.mCurrentTab; gBrowser.removeTab(tab);
OzarksCrescentMural

I found this to duplicate a tab, but it's not working. Does anyone have the right command to Duplicate the Current Tab?

gBrowser.duplicateTab(gBrowser.mCurrentTab);

Also, I changed Apple + Shift + T to another shortcut. It's for Undo Close Tab. I'm curious what the actual command is, since you can't see the commands for the ones that were already there.

And here's one I find very useful. It combines two shortcuts into one. It Selects All (Apple + A) and Deletes (Apple + X). I assigned it to Apple + D, for the obvious association of Delete.

goDoCommand("cmd_selectAll");
goDoCommand("cmd_delete");
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

@OzarksCrescentMural: There used to be a "Duplicate Tab" extension. It hasn't been (and probably won't be) updated for Toolkit 2.0 (Firefox 4.0, SeaMonkey 2.1), but there is a new "Duplicate This Tab" extension which works with these versions. If you have the older "Duplicate Tab", you will have to disable or uninstall it manually, because the new one has a different ID, so it won't be regarded as a newer version of "the same" addon.

If your User-Agent string (as shown in the footer of your post) is authentic, then you should either (recommended) upgrade to a newer version of Firefox, or else use the older extension. (As of this writing, the current "stable" version of Firefox is 3.6.10, which is still supported by the "older" Duplicate Tab extension IIUC.)
Best regards,
Tony