Rebuilding TBE's featureset with other plugins, II

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
reevuur

Post by reevuur »

sboulema wrote:you need to have Flowing tabs or Scrollable tabs installed

You wrote that to use "max width" for tabs
<i>tab { max-width: 90px !important; }</i>
I have to install Flowing Tabs or Scrollable tabs.

Is there no other way to adapt the max. width for tabs?
Flowing tabs doesn't work in firefox 1.0 and I do not really like scrollable tabs.
RockOfVictory

Rebuilding TBE - My Config:

Post by RockOfVictory »

This is a great thread! TBE has been driving me nuts with its "broken" session restores and running slower than IE! Minipouss's summary is great; I've set mine up mostly like his, but with a few differences. I do have two questions, though:
  • Anyone know what it is about TBE that causes so many bugs? Are there particular features within the extension that can be disabled to make it work better or faster? I'm fairly happy with the configuration below, but it would be a lot easier if TBE worked instead of having to download four or five specific plugins to do the same thing. Just my (useless) two cents.
  • What does docShell.allow* do in MiniT 20040920.3? We'll see if my recent post on the MiniT discussion gets a response.
I thought it might also be helpful to include some additional tips for newbies (like me):
  • about:config is a handy command you can enter into the Firefox address bar to edit preferences like extensions.tabprefs.showTabButton.
  • There is a Knowledge Base article on this thread, FYI: Extensions That Replace TBE.

minipouss wrote:What I've done, reading this topic :

Crash Recovery 0.3.4 (download) - RockofVictory also recommends this if you like to remember or restore your tab sessions. [Nov24 Edit: iIf you don't need to create multiple saved sessions, it is unnecessary to install SS. Simply set crashrecovery.sessionsaver to true in about:config.] Note my question about running this with SessionSaver 0.2d2 nightly23 (download). [Nov24 Edit: It is not recommended to run both, although it seemed to work okay for me. I've decided to uninstall SS and use the crashrecovery.sessionsaver instead.]

TBP 1.0.0 (download):
[*] opens links to external sites in another backgrounded tab (by default and not configurabled for the background)
[*] opens my javascript popups in a popup (TBE has some problem with this since 2 or 3 versions)
[*] opens Urlbar et Searchbar results in a backgrounded tab
[*] open external links in backgrounded tab (but Firefox comes in foreground like TBE does since 2 or 3 months :( )

two differents versions of MiniT :
[*] MiniT_20040920_pass3 to close tab by double-click and switch tabs with mouse wheel
[*] MiniT_drag_0.4.1 to drag and drop tabs

RockOfVictory not using this one:
Click2Tab 0.73 to open history (sidebar) and bookmarks (menu, toolbar et sidebar) in backgrounded Tab

everything works great :)

undoclosetab 20041126 (download) update by Turonah as noted here. I've included the undoclosetab link as of '05Mar8; also removed the rest of his complaint from his original thread:
but I'm not satisfied with the reopen of closed tabs....
Last edited by RockOfVictory on March 8th, 2005, 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google. (Running FF 2/WinXP)
c0mmm0n

Post by c0mmm0n »

what does crashrecovery gives you SS doesn't ? there's also a lite version of SS dedicated to crash recovery ;

to complete minipouss, miniT_drag is cosmetic as it just add the arrow for drag'n'drop, MiniT_pass3 enables drag'n'drop so you can according to your need drop the drag version ;

reevur, FT works with 1.0 check links on the dedicated topic, but ST is in conflict with TBP... :(

Finally i'm so much happy to have uninstalled TBE, my browser is faster and all functions work better whereas TBE was so slow ; imho TBE is not optimised at all, and should be rewritten from scratch but I still think if you want to do so many things you can't do them all well. I was a total TBE addict and am now totally rediscovering Firefox!
RockOfVictory

Post by RockOfVictory »

c0mmm0n wrote:what does crashrecovery gives you SS doesn't ? there's also a lite version of SS dedicated to crash recovery ;

As I noted in my Crash Recovery review, I posted a question on a CR thread and they mention that CR adds the additional functionality of a dialogue box upon recovery. This way, if the cause of the crash was a consistent popup that just kept reloading itself, you can opt NOT to restore all the tabs. You can't do this with SS, so I have both extensions installed. The lite version of SS is Crash Recovery 0.3.4 and won't restore your tabs if you do a normal close of Firefox.
c0mmm0n

Post by c0mmm0n »

Ok, thx for the info.
Fedorov

Post by Fedorov »

This should be simple, ever since I replaced TBE thanks to these postings I have ONE minor annoyance... if I mousegesture (All-In-One extenstion) or press CTRL-T to get a new Untitled Tab to use, the cursor is already positioned in the address bar ready for me to type/autocomplete which is great....

... if I hit CTRL-W or mousegesture to close my tabs including my very LAST one, i.e. I'm left with an "untitled" tab by itself but the cursor is not in the address bar ready for me.

I'm sure this used to be something that TBE did for me, I'm using BlankLast to avoid closing Firefox from the last tab.

Sounds fussy I know but If I do anything that leaves me FOCUSed on an Untitled tab I find it much more user-friendly and time-saving to have the cursor already in my address bar :)

Comments appreciated.

Fedorov.
c0mmm0n

Post by c0mmm0n »

just alt+D and type ? not the best solution but at least no mouse required
Henry-Rayker

Post by Henry-Rayker »

is there an extension that allows the tabs to be renamed?
also can you get the bookmark title to appear instead of the url in the tab's label?

I recently made the switch (after tab clicking options in conjunction with undoclosetab allowed me to middle-click to undo the closing of a tab) but still miss these features. It's not enough to make me go back, but it is something I'd like to see.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

dorando wrote:
sasquatch wrote:Which extension is it that lets you set up scrolling tabs for when there are a ton of tabs, so you can see them all?

Scrollable Tabs or Flowing Tabs, whatever you meant.

NB. Flowing Tabs is incompatible with mini-T. Scrollable Tabs removes the "Close Tab" button. About the latter, I just wrote to Sboulema (who made an improved and repackaged version of it for his Extensions Mirror). Let's see what comes out of it.

dorando wrote:
sasquatch wrote:Also, which one allows you to move them around to change the order of tabs?

miniT or variants.

sasquatch wrote:If it is Mini-T, I'd like to wait until the single window parts are taken out, and it is made "1.0 friendly".

Uhm, there are no "single window parts" in miniT...

I use mini-T on 1.0. Dragging a tab within a single window's tab bar "moves" it (with its Back/Forward history IIUC). Dragging it from one window's tabbar to another's "copies" it without its history. That doesn't bother me but I understand that some other people might not like it.
Best regards,
Tony
c0mmm0n

Post by c0mmm0n »

I have no problem with MiniT and Flowing Tabs, or TBP, but i would like to use Scrolling Tabs which is disabled if TBP is used
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

c0mmm0n wrote:I have no problem with MiniT and Flowing Tabs, or TBP, but i would like to use Scrolling Tabs which is disabled if TBP is used

Oh-oh. Didn't know that. Too bad when extensions clash. If it goes on like that, it looks like I'll have to uninstall all the tab-related extensions I already have and then install that TBE monster. And I don't know yet if it'll have all I want.
Best regards,
Tony
minipouss

Post by minipouss »

I asked the question on extensionsmirror's forum to know if this is a known incompatibility between TBP and ScrollableTab..............but it's written on TBP's homepage
have had reports that two extensions, Flowing Tabs and Scrollable Tabs, malfunction when the latest versions of TBP are installed alongside. Please don't bug me with such reports; the problems can be reproduced by uninstalling TBP and installing either the Basics extension or the Trivial extension. Talk to the maintainer of Flowing/Scrollable Tabs if you need assistance; I don't use either of these extensions and thus have no benchmark for locating their issues.

I also noticed that with the 2 versions of MiniT installed, the dragging of a tab into bookmarks (menu or toolbar) made a "double" bookmark for the page (anyway the MiniT_drag is just cosmetic as c0mmm0n said, so I uninstalled it)

I too would like to know if what Henry-Racker asked about the renaming of the tab "URL vs bookmark name" is possible with an extension. I'll search for that
Turonah

Re: Rebuilding TBE - My Config:

Post by Turonah »

RockOfVictory wrote:Anyone know what it is about TBE that causes so many bugs? Are there particular features within the extension that can be disabled to make it work better or faster? I'm fairly happy with the configuration below, but it would be a lot easier if TBE worked instead of having to download four or five specific plugins to do the same thing. Just my (useless) two cents.

Agreed, it would be a lot more convenient to download and install one plugin, instead of five or six just to have the same functionality. However, I think that's exactly what the problem with TBE is - it's just trying to do too much all at once. I mean, just the sheer number of options that you can customize, and a lot of them affect one another. So where TCO (Tab Clicking Options) just checks to see what you want to happen when you double-click on a tab or the tabbar, TBE checks that PLUS whether you have tab groups open, whether you want the new tab inserted to the right or left of the current tab (or at the end of the tabbar), etc. I mean, it makes sense to me that this would slow ANYTHING to a crawl ... it's like the electronic version of congress ... :P
Although I must admit I've wondered if TBE could benefit from being re-built from the ground up (kinda like a fresh start) - if you want to try doing that, you're more than welcome to :P
"Perhaps we fear the unknown because we know ourselves too well." - Outer Limits
roth377

Post by roth377 »

Henry-Rayker wrote:is there an extension that allows the tabs to be renamed?
also can you get the bookmark title to appear instead of the url in the tab's label?

I've been asking the same question (well, the second part at least), and haven't heard a response yet. I would also add the ability to have the tab width match the length of the bookmark name.
sasquatch

Re: Rebuilding TBE - My Config:

Post by sasquatch »

Turonah wrote:...ANYTHING to a crawl ... it's like the electronic version of congress ... :P

Good one. Makes it clear.

Turonah wrote:...Although I must admit I've wondered if TBE could benefit from being re-built from the ground up (kinda like a fresh start) - if you want to try doing that, you're more than welcome to :P

I think someone (was it here?) started combining a few of the smaller extensions which were similar. This might make sense.