"Document contains no data" - THE SOLUTION

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Filipp0s

Post Posted July 31st, 2004, 7:54 am

To stop this pop-up message, and display the error on the page itself:
a. Type about:config in the location bar
b. Look for the line browser.xul.error_pages.enabled
c. Change its value to true

If this message appears always, make sure your firewall isn't blocking Firefox from accessing the internet.

If this happens occasionally:
  • To prevent the annoying pop-up from appearing follow the instructions at the top of this post.
  • Older versions of the Panda Antivirus often cause this problem; read how to fix.
  • Peer Guardian might be the problem; remove it and use an alternative product.

If you still have questions, reply to this post and don't forget to tell what firewall and what antivirus you use.
Last edited by Filipp0s on February 5th, 2005, 6:20 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Filipp0s

Post Posted February 5th, 2005, 6:29 pm

I just updated the above message; previous posts have been split.

Renee_Billeaudeaux

Post Posted February 6th, 2005, 3:39 pm

i have norton anti-virus and the firewall that comes with windows XP. i am having alot of trouble recently with my mozilla. it won't let me get into my email on Yahoo or MSN. i have no idea what to do i'm in desperate need of help!

cowhand_jack

Post Posted February 7th, 2005, 12:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:i have norton anti-virus and the firewall that comes with windows XP. i am having alot of trouble recently with my mozilla. it won't let me get into my email on Yahoo or MSN. i have no idea what to do i'm in desperate need of help!
same thing happens to me running redhat 9 with a windows box behind firestarter. it's the same error message with ie6 and firefox. the thing is, when i boot to winXP the problem goes away, which leads me to believe it's something with the operating system itself (redhat 9) it doesn't matter which browser..firefox or mozilla, the error's the same..i'm completely baffled..it's also the same with the firewall off..

ravenatic

Post Posted February 9th, 2005, 7:03 am

I use Avast antivirus, and Xp fire wall. I can read mail on yahoo or MSN, I can read message boards, but can not post messages nor can I send mail, or switch from one page to another if there is a drop down box. I get the Page Contains No Data message.

Post Posted February 9th, 2005, 9:36 am

Thanks, that problem was really annoying!

FZT

Post Posted February 9th, 2005, 1:04 pm

I have the "contains no data" problem primarily on the nytimes.com site. I cannot access articles off the home page; email articles; nor print articles. nytimes support staff say the problem is with browser. If I clear all nytimes cookies and sign in again, then requested page appears, however, to do this all day long is a waste of time and annoying.

MattyUK

Post Posted February 10th, 2005, 9:58 am

I have found a faster workaround around the problem is to press CTRL and reload the page. Or CTRL + F5

Post Posted February 12th, 2005, 12:26 pm

I found that websites that have links like href="/somewhere/somepage.html" instead of href="http://domain.com/somewhere/somepage.html" give "contains no data" errors in Mozilla

lopiano

Post Posted February 13th, 2005, 6:32 pm

FZT wrote:I have the "contains no data" problem primarily on the nytimes.com site. I cannot access articles off the home page; email articles; nor print articles. nytimes support staff say the problem is with browser. If I clear all nytimes cookies and sign in again, then requested page appears, however, to do this all day long is a waste of time and annoying.

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found a way to resolve it?

bloomine

Post Posted February 15th, 2005, 3:37 pm

I found this post by google. It works for me . Bye :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distribution: mandrake 9.1, 9.2
HCL Entries: 0
Reviews: 0

Maybe this could be it too ( post #16)

Hi,

I have just found a thread on the mandrake-newbie list that gave details on tunning firefox. The interesting thing about the article is that I have found that ad.doubleclick had changed a user config entry using about:config i found that network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains was set to ad.doubleclick. I set this to true instead and I have no longer got this problem or the related dns problems I was suffering.

Real pain in the arse this one.

Andy

bloomine

Post Posted February 15th, 2005, 3:38 pm

I found this post by google. It works for me . I have mozilla Mozilla 1.8b on Slackware 10. Bye :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Distribution: mandrake 9.1, 9.2
HCL Entries: 0
Reviews: 0

Maybe this could be it too ( post #16)

Hi,

I have just found a thread on the mandrake-newbie list that gave details on tunning firefox. The interesting thing about the article is that I have found that ad.doubleclick had changed a user config entry using about:config i found that network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains was set to ad.doubleclick. I set this to true instead and I have no longer got this problem or the related dns problems I was suffering.

Real pain in the arse this one.

Andy

Steven7859

Post Posted February 17th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Hi. I appreciate the help provided on this site for non-experts like myself. I have a compaq notebook with Windows XP and SP 2, Norton antivirus, and recently when I click on firefox (my default browser) I get an empty page with "Document contains no data" and clicking any links provides the same message. I tried doing what was mentioned in your post but it doesn't change anything. This problem seems to happen "on and off," as last night firefox was working fine. I went into my Windows firewall and put "Mozilla.com" as allowed, thinking that was the problem. It didn't help. I greatly appreciate any help in figuring this out. My ISP is AOL dial. Steven

Spike0xFF

Post Posted February 18th, 2005, 12:51 pm

I get "document contains no data" in FF1.0 whenever I try to follow a link off the main page of nytimes.com. I am a subscriber to NY Times online. Problem does not occur on other websites! The about:config network.dns.ipv4OnlyDomains fix given above doesn't help me. I'm running Windows XP Pro, Norton AV, ZoneAlarm Pro, through a Linksys BEFSR41 and DSL modem. I've purged the cache, disabled NAV, shut down ZA.

Wait - I tried my laptop, XP Home - NAV, no ZA, wifi thru the same router/modem. On my laptop, FF can follow nytimes links! And IE 6 on my XP Pro system can't follow the nytimes links either, it just times out after about 10 seconds... So this is probably the same underlying problem with my system, not FF...

Oh well, "NEVER MIND" - unless somebody has a helpful suggestion. Only happens with links to internal pages of www.nytimes.com.
Last edited by Spike0xFF on February 18th, 2005, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/\_

YrbkMgr

Post Posted February 18th, 2005, 1:10 pm

I went into my Windows firewall and put "Mozilla.com"

You must set your firewall to allow FF to access the internet, as is stated in Post number 1.

Spike0xFF wrote:Doesn't this mean that my router and DSL connection aren't the problem, and that it's some issue between FF, XP, and nytimes.com? But at this point, what the h*ll do I do to troubleshoot?

Well, if it happens occassionally with IE, no, it doesn't necessarily point to a FF problem. It could be a timeout issue.

One way to troubleshoot FF issues is to create a pristine profile to make sure that it's not a misbehaving theme, extension, or rogue setting.

To start profile manager make sure FF is closed (either use ctrl-alt-del and close FF if it's listed, or reboot), then

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

If you still have an issue with a default profile, consider the following. You don't specify how your laptop is connected, but since you have no ZA on the laptop (mistake!), temporarily disable ZA on the desktop and see if you are able to connect to the site. It could be a "zone issue".
The nice thing about standards in computing is that there are so many from which to choose.

Return to Firefox Support