[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
squashr1979

[Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by squashr1979 »

I have just been granted commit access to the Download Manger Tweak project on mozdev.org http://dmextension.mozdev.org/. I will be adding version 0.8.2, which supports Firefox 3.0, and am creating this forum topic to discuss it. When I update the homepage, which may take a day or so, I will link to this topic.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
daTerminehtor

Re: [Ext] Download Manager Tweak 0.8.x

Post by daTerminehtor »

Congrats and well done!
RNiK

Post by RNiK »

Good news! 8-)

Looking forward for any DMT development news.
MondoWin ==> Italian site for information about MS Windows tweaking
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

Is there anyone using DMT on a non-Windows PC? I am looking at adding this to AMO (addons.mozilla.org) and they will want to know what systems it has been tested on. If you have tried it on Linux or OSX, etc then I'd like to know. I still need to be added as an owner on AMO, like I was to mozdev.org, so it will likely take a little while.
squashr1979, the developer of Download Manager Tweak for Firefox versions 3.0 and newer.
mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

I just tested it under Linux and it works.

BTW would it be possible to use the buttons from the Firefox theme rather than use DMT's own buttons?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

BTW would it be possible to use the buttons from the Firefox theme rather than use DMT's own buttons?

I would have to say definitely maybe :? . I've never used a theme, so I downloaded one and tried it. The way the theme changes the buttons is the same as what DMT does. The two ended out fighting and both lost, the result was a nasty mix of the two. The solution I guess is to find a way to disable the DMT versions of the buttons according to an option setting. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll think about it. I can't just remove the DMT buttons or I'll have even more people complain that they're gone #-o .
DMCrimson

Post by DMCrimson »

Works fine here, on MacOS X 10.5.6.
jm1515

Post by jm1515 »

Much better than the base FFx DLmanager, =D>
but as an fyi DMT 8.1 breaks some context menu items on my system...
Specifically 'Bookmark this page' 'Save page as' 'Send Link' & 'View Page Source'...

FFX 3.06 Windoze SP2 on a Compaq OEM AMD Sempron processor......
jmagda
Deep in the OH wasteland...
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

jm1515 wrote:DMT 0.8.1 breaks some context menu items on my system...
Specifically 'Bookmark this page' 'Save page as' 'Send Link' & 'View Page Source'...

Try 0.8.2. The download queue feature, that was added in 0.7.0, made changes to the context menu. I removed that feature in 0.8.2, so it should fix your problem. Don't know why it would affect your context menu and not mine. Maybe you have another add-on that is also affecting the context menu and the two add-ons are interfering.
jm1515

Post by jm1515 »

squashr1979 wrote:
jm1515 wrote:DMT 0.8.1 breaks some context menu items on my system...

Try 0.8.2. The download queue feature, that was added in 0.7.0, made changes to the context menu. I removed that feature in 0.8.2, so it should fix your problem. Don't know why it would affect your context menu and not mine. Maybe you have another add-on that is also affecting the context menu and the two add-ons are interfering.

0.8.2 fixed it..... :mrgreen:
Excellent work.... =D>
jmagda
Deep in the OH wasteland...
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

squashr1979 wrote:

I would have to say definitely maybe :? . I've never used a theme, so I downloaded one and tried it. The way the theme changes the buttons is the same as what DMT does. The two ended out fighting and both lost, the result was a nasty mix of the two. The solution I guess is to find a way to disable the DMT versions of the buttons according to an option setting. I'm not sure how to do that, but I'll think about it. I can't just remove the DMT buttons or I'll have even more people complain that they're gone #-o .

I found a way to use an option to disable the DMT "theme" for the list of download items. It will be in 0.8.3, when that is released.
anonxlg

Post by anonxlg »

thanks for the update

is it me or did 'add to download queue' disappeared
this is the one feature i really need from dmt and it never worked properly in 3.0, now in the 'official' verison, it's gone

if it was taken out, why? will it be back?
squashr1979

Post by squashr1979 »

anonxlg wrote:is it me or did 'add to download queue' disappeared
this is the one feature i really need from dmt and it never worked properly in 3.0, now in the 'official' version, it's gone

if it was taken out, why? will it be back?

It was taken out mainly because it didn't work properly. There was even a serious bug reported, which was fixed simply by removing this feature. Also, I could never figure out what it was for and why someone would want it. How was it even supposed to work? What did you use it for and why do you "really need" it?

I can't simply fix it and restore it, there are too many changes from FF 1.0 to 3.0. DMT is mostly cosmetic GUI changes, but the download queue was not. It involved changing the underlying behavior of FF downloads. The only way is to start over with something new. That's a lot of work to do properly and would be difficult to maintain, as even small FF changes would break it.

I currently have no plans to do anything about it. My plans are to fix a few bugs I know about, release DMT on addons.mozilla.org, and port to FF 3.1 (hopefully in that order). If you do a very good job of answering the two questions I asked, and show me how it will make DMT substantially better, then I might change those plans.
AngryAvatar

Post by AngryAvatar »

I'm glad someone is bringing this back. I do have a problem however, and since it's with one of the features I really liked about DMT I hope it can be fixed. This problem happens in FF 3.0.7 running on Vista with all traces of previous FF installs purged from the system.

It's with the option "Open the Download Manager after a delay of ____ seconds" and "Close when downloads complete." I prefer my DM to open in a separate window. In the past I always set it to 1000 ms so it wouldn't open for smaller files like jpegs and such. However, while the old DMT wouldn't open at all if the download completed in less than 1000 ms, this one opens the window anyway. I thought the setting was to stop it from opening at all for smaller files and only open it for larger files that take longer than _____ ms to transfer, but it doesn't work that way any more.

The other problem is that checking "Close when downloads complete" does nothing, the window always remains open when the download is done.

Thanks for your work on bringing back my favorite extension!
anonxlg

Post by anonxlg »

the point of the queue is for ex, i'm downloading 10 things, instead of these 10 things download at 20kb/s and can queue it and make to download 200kp/s each
it also does takes a load off hhd defragmentation

it's actually quite useful, though i guess not many people bother using it, or doesnt realize its use