MSVC++ Toolkit Builders: Anyone need comsupp.lib? ...

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
RemyJ

MSVC++ Toolkit Builders: Anyone need comsupp.lib? ...

Post by RemyJ »

I never saw a resolution for the missing comsupp.lib issue other than to comment out the IE profile migration stuff, so I made my own.

No source mods needed, no linker errors and IE profile migration works.
Contains no MS code, nor did I reverse engineer any MS binaries.
All 56 lines (including readme and comments :) ) written from scratch by me.

Unzip into an empty directory, read the code and makefile (both are about as simple as you can get), make mods to either or both if necessary, run your mozset, run make, then make install. The source code has a little readme at the top.

My mozset (mozvc7.bat) and .mozconfig (.mozconfig.vc7) are included for reference as well as a short test stub. The LTCG patch to remove the -YX from one of the Makefile.in files is also here for completeness.

Feedback welcomed.

comsupp.zip
RemyJ

Post by RemyJ »

More than a few people have downloaded the package.
Anyone tried it yet?
Does it work for you?
moox

Post by moox »

Anyone else tried this yet? I have a great build environment right now and I am not looking to hose it, but to be able to have IE migration work and finally use -GL on a Toolkit build would be nice. Shall I be the guinea pig?
RemyJ

Post by RemyJ »

moox wrote:Anyone else tried this yet? I have a great build environment right now and I am not looking to hose it, but to be able to have IE migration work and finally use -GL on a Toolkit build would be nice. Shall I be the guinea pig?

Be my guest! I've done maybe 30 builds with the library and I've not had a single issue with the build in general as well as with progfile migration. I'm down to 3 patches, one for an HTTP bug that's fixed but not rolled into the aviary branch yet, one for the LTCG, and one to the installer so it doesn't crash when trying to install talkback.
Xu

Re: MSVC++ Toolkit Builders: Anyone need comsupp.lib? ...

Post by Xu »

RemyJ wrote:No source mods needed, no linker errors and IE profile migration works.

It's working nicely,
Thank you for sharing this. :-)
RemyJ

Post by RemyJ »

Cool, thanks for the feedback.
ghuerkam

Post by ghuerkam »

RemyJ wrote:More than a few people have downloaded the package.
Anyone tried it yet?
Does it work for you?

Just tried your package, it's working fine, IE-Profile Migration is also working.
thanks.
Kaleva

Post by Kaleva »

I used it too -- worked like a charm!

Thanks.
varun21

Post by varun21 »

i compiled the two test executables (with the same test.cpp in the src from RemyJ's comsupp.zip) compiled with RemyJ's comsupp and MS comsupp. When i run remyj's test.exe (compiled and run on on winxp sp2) it crashes after displaying the output. (Says 'send error report')
<a b C D e f G>
<a b C D e f G> .

While the MS comsupp.lib compiled MScomsupp.exe says

<a b C D e f G>
<a b C D e f G>

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Why?

(PS:-how can i attach these zipped files. i dun c the options)
RemyJ

Post by RemyJ »

It throws different errors because I don't know exactly what the MS comsupp.lib actually does so I simply RaiseException EXCEPTION_NONCONTINUABLE_EXCEPTION. Feel free to change it to any exception you like. Besides, I'm not sure I really WANT to know exactly what it does or I might not be able to claim that that this is an independent work.