Firefox 1.0 PR (0.10)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
fishbert

Firefox 1.0 PR (0.10)

Post by fishbert »

If the branch nightlies of the past few days report themselves as 1.0PR (0.10), then why are they going in the "latest-0.9" directory on the FTP?! At the very least, it's confusing for someone trying to find the most recent build which actually does report itself as 0.9 as there is no way to tell them apart on the server.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Now that's a really good question!

I believe it is the 0.9 branch because it branched from the Mozilla trunk at Fx 0.9. After that, all versions -- 0.9, 0.9+, 0.9.1, 0.9.1+, etc. to 0.10 and beyond are all still on the 0.9 branch. Confusing, yes.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

Actually, it branched from the Mozilla trunk at 0.8 (0.9 and 1.0 are both from the same branch), so if that's what it were based on, then it would probably read "latest-0.8" on the FTP.

The problem is that all the available themes and extensions were broken in the "latest-0.9" branch nightlies because of a simple version bump to 0.10. So, it seems to me that either the builds are mis-labeled as 0.10, or they are mis-filed as "latest-0.9"
Lev_Arris

Post by Lev_Arris »

What annoys me much more is that they changed the keyboard shortcut for the download window AGAIN! First it was CTRL+E, then CTRL+Y and now its CTRL+J and again I have to ask WHY? (Ctrl+E was too close to CTRL+W, the close window shortcut, I get that... but what's wrong with CTRL+Y?)
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

For some reason, websites are reporting that 1.0 PR is out...don't listen to them unless somebody high up says so on this forum or mozilla.org says so.
CoolCatBad

Post by CoolCatBad »

Thet are calling it "1.0 Beta".
Poetic license, I suppose.
sweetdude

Post by sweetdude »

well according to this it is almost out

Firefox 0.10 (1.0 PR)
0 days, 20 hours, 11 minutes
Monday, September 06, 2004 08:59:00

http://planet.mozilla.org/
austizmo

Post by austizmo »

Lev, Ctrl + Y is the Windows shortcut for Redo. So if you've undone something in a text field, hitting Ctrl + Y would bring up the download manager instead of (as well as?) redoing your action.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040819 Firefox/0.9.1+
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

The build number always ups before the actual build comes out to catch problems that occur with new build numbers (especially with extensions). Every time a new version is about to come out you will see the numbers change ahead of time. It's still in the "latest-0.9" directory because it is still technically .9.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
Lost User 12174

Post by Lost User 12174 »

Lev_Arris wrote:What annoys me much more is that they changed the keyboard shortcut for the download window AGAIN! First it was CTRL+E, then CTRL+Y and now its CTRL+J and again I have to ask WHY? (Ctrl+E was too close to CTRL+W, the close window shortcut, I get that... but what's wrong with CTRL+Y?)
most of the developers must be left handed..

ctrl Y was a stretch
ctrl J i might as well use my right hand
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

tolremeno wrote:The build number always ups before the actual build comes out to catch problems that occur with new build numbers (especially with extensions). Every time a new version is about to come out you will see the numbers change ahead of time. It's still in the "latest-0.9" directory because it is still technically .9.
Right, but if it's still "technically" 0.9, then there is no point in bumping the version number yet. It's a simple patch to apply, but it breaks everything in terms of extension and theme compatibility. Such a patch should not be applied until the software really is version 0.10 (or whatever other number) *or* builds with this versioning should not be put in the "latest-0.9" directory on the FTP since they're made to be incompatible with everything else designed to work with 0.9. People (such as myself) shouldn't have to do forum digging to find the latest nightly which is compatible with 0.9 extensions and themes.

Also: Not to sound rude, but this thread has nothing to do with the keyboard shortcut to the download manager window. Please take that discussion elsewhere to avoid cluttering up this thread.
tolremeno

Post by tolremeno »

I see what you're saying, but they're actually bumping up the number before the release because they want to catch those breakages before the release "hits the streets." To quote mscott:

mscott wrote:we discovered with firefox 0.9 that it was a good idea to bump the version number before the release candidate to shake out any bugs with the extension manager update system which does different stuff when the version change.
tolremeno - still a *bird lover
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

All the themes will need to be revised anyways because they've changed the update icon from being in the statusbar to up in the menu bar.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
fishbert

Post by fishbert »

Hey, overall, I don't mind bumping the version number before an actual release... I'd just like to see some way of differentiating these "bumped" 0.9 builds from those that still play nice with extensions and themes listed as 0.9-compatible (perhaps a "latest-0.10" directory or something).

And yeah, most everything "will need to be revised anyway" at some point or another. But right now there are builds reporting themselves as 0.10 in the "latest-0.9" directory on the FTP server. I just don't think they should be there because it makes it difficult to differentiate between those builds that play nice with 0.9 extensions and themes from those that do not (unless one goes through through them with trial-and-error installations or goes forum digging).
Greg K Nicholson

Post by Greg K Nicholson »

Any build from September is "0.10"; August and before are "0.9.x". The version number was changed to be able to test the update service and to prompt authors to bump their maxVersions where appropriate. To avoid problems caused solely by the version bump, change app.extensions.version to 0.9 in about:config.