2003-05-30 Windows Build Now Available

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
RIV@NVX

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 7:21 am

mscott wrote:Soon to be found at:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/ ... 5-30-trunk

This build contains the following improvements:
1) An about dialog has been added to the help menu
2) Collapse overlays for mail compose and address book (patch contributed by Stephen Walker). This should improve new window time for these windows. However it breaks external themes. (Themers, look at messengercompose.css and addressbook.css in this build where lots of CSS files have been collapsed into these two files)
3) The new toolbar icons for the mail 3-pane now show up in the customize toolbar dialog.
4) default toolbar state for is full (large icons with text), before it was just large icons.
5) added a context menu to the mail 3-pane toolbar for customizing the toolbar.

Just a minor update before the weekend =)

-Scott

That was quick :)
Great job ;)
Why would you even consider to use the OS that is older and more obsolete than your computer?
See, that's just one of the reasons why I pick Linux.

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 8:20 am

mscott wrote:
macrxnapa wrote:
Further complications:

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Location: chrome://messenger/content/messengercompose/messengercompose.xul
Line number:308 Column: 11

<menu id="maileditCharsetMenu" label="&charsetMenu.label;" ...
--------------^

Hmm..that's very strange. That DTD file is defined in toolkit/locale/charset.dtd and it's loaded in messengercompose.xul by the following line:

<!ENTITY % charsetDTD SYSTEM "chrome://global/locale/charset.dtd" >
%charsetDTD;

Can you open up your en-US.jar file (a zip utility should show you the contents like winzip on windows). Then look for charset.dtd. Is the file showing up in the jar?

Ok, great.

Working with my debug version: There is no such file in that location. However, if I pull a copy from the source code, and place it there, I get the window back.

Qusetion: Is customizeToolbar.dtd also supposed to go there?

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 8:36 am

I think I see the problem:

I'm using OBJDIR to build various mozilla projects. I don't see the toolkit/locale directory being copied to the OBJDIR location matching the source code.

Could this be the problem?

-Don

Edit: Ok, I just learned that this is not necessarily the problem, Firebird doesn't do this and it seem to work just fine, including its Customize Toolbar window...

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 9:47 am

...So here's the plan.

It could be that I owe my Macintosh using friends an apology for trying things in a too "fancy" way.

I've now began a build that is NOT using OBJDIR. Building TB on this poor slow G4/350 takes ~4hrs. Build started ~9:30am. So I'm guessing mid to late afternoon that I'll have a new app for others to see, and I'll go out on a limb here, and wager that this upcoming build will be perfect. Including a Customize Toolbar window that works! (I'll simply die, if this doesn't happen ;-) )

Warm regards
Don

PS: Anyone like to donate a duel processor G4 for the cause? ;-) (even a low end duel would be a major improvement!)

mscott

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 10:09 am

macrxnapa wrote:...So here's the plan.

It could be that I owe my Macintosh using friends an apology for trying things in a too "fancy" way.

I've now began a build that is NOT using OBJDIR.

PS: Anyone like to donate a duel processor G4 for the cause? ;-) (even a low end duel would be a major improvement!)

Ah so you think it might be a build issue. That's good news 'cause I didn't know how to fix it from my end =).

Do we need to start a "buy Don a dual G4 fund"? =)
Thunderbirds are Go!

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 10:36 am

The problem is, I don't understand why. These are chrome files. If they're built properly on one kind of machine, shouldn't it work exactly the same way on others?

At this point, I'm open for recommendation...

-Don

Tom Sommer

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 10:39 am

it should be easy to find out, build the same source as you normally do...

mscott

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 10:55 am

macrxnapa wrote:The problem is, I don't understand why. These are chrome files. If they're built properly on one kind of machine, shouldn't it work exactly the same way on others?

-Don

Don, both of the DTD files you aren't seeing showing up in your build are part of the new toolkit (mozilla/toolkit). I just had a weird idea. Any chance your mac build isn't building the mozilla/toolkit directory? That would explain why these things aren't showing up.
Thunderbirds are Go!

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 11:01 am

Tom Sommer wrote:it should be easy to find out, build the same source as you normally do...

Build the same source as I NORMALLY do? It's not clear as to exactly what this means.

I'm doing an expermental build using the mozilla dir as the objdir. This, for all intents and purposes should reveal a possible build issue. However, a test build of Firebird works just fine.

The jar.mn file for the errant directory lists the files I need, so that's not it. Somehow the build is not piciking up on the toolkit/locale files and adding them to the jarfile.

My suspicion is that there is another directory, containing the icons and other objects for the Customize Toolbar window that is also not being added. Earlier, when I added the customizeToolbar.dtd file to my debug TB, I got the window, but nothing was in it.

Any help is much appreciated...

Regards
Don

galapogos

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 11:10 am

LuZu wrote:First the "Total" and "Unread" email information per folder isn't existing any more.

I miss this feature too! Also, older themes can't be used anymore, and since there aren't any Thunderbird specific themes, we're stuck with the default :(

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 11:13 am

mscott wrote:
macrxnapa wrote:The problem is, I don't understand why. These are chrome files. If they're built properly on one kind of machine, shouldn't it work exactly the same way on others?

-Don

Don, both of the DTD files you aren't seeing showing up in your build are part of the new toolkit (mozilla/toolkit). I just had a weird idea. Any chance your mac build isn't building the mozilla/toolkit directory? That would explain why these things aren't showing up.

Actually, all other items are being built, just the locale dir seems to be left out.

Does this help?

Don

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 11:35 am

macrxnapa wrote:
mscott wrote:

-Don

Actually, all other items are being built, just the locale dir seems to be left out.

Does this help?

Don

Wait, your right, the Toolkit dir is not being build. I should be seeing items next to some of the makefiles in some of the subdirectories, theres nothing.

Well, actually, the xre is being built, like Firebird. nothing else in any of the other subdirs...

Tom Sommer

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 1:27 pm

mscott wrote:1) An about dialog has been added to the help menu

Recheck http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... olist.html :)

mscott

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 1:30 pm

macrxnapa wrote:
Wait, your right, the Toolkit dir is not being build. I should be seeing items next to some of the makefiles in some of the subdirectories, theres nothing.

Well, actually, the xre is being built, like Firebird. nothing else in any of the other subdirs...

Wow, I'm shocked we were able to run on the Mac without building with the new toolkit!
Make sure you have the latest patch in:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206692

which turns on building toolkit for thunderbird.

I bet that's the problem.
Thunderbirds are Go!

macrxnapa

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 2:09 pm

mscott wrote:
macrxnapa wrote:

Wow, I'm shocked we were able to run on the Mac without building with the new toolkit!
Make sure you have the latest patch in:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206692

which turns on building toolkit for thunderbird.

I bet that's the problem.

Scott: Thank you very much. Pach applied! Starting build from distclean.

Revised estimate for new Mac build, sometime this evening. Perhaps tenish at the latest.

Return to Thunderbird Builds