Info: Start up "This folder is being processed..."

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
StormFX

Info: Start up "This folder is being processed..."

Post by StormFX »

After an hour of playing with some settings, I FINALLY figured out what causes the "This folder is being processed . Please wait until the processing is complete..." alert/error. If you're using the "Global Inbox" with multiple accounts and have them all set to get mail at startup, make SURE they're ALL using the default SMTP. If you need to use a different SMTP for an account, then either don't use the Global Inbox for that account or make sure that that account is not set to automatically get mail at start up.

Somewhere in the docs or something, I saw it mentioned that using multiple SMTPs could "potentially cause problems/errors". Guess this is one of them :)
Elen

Post by Elen »

I get the same "This folder is being processed . Please wait until the processing is complete..." message even if all my mail accounts use the default SMTP. Seems like there is more than one cause for this annoying little bugger.
ke.han

Post by ke.han »

I am not using global inbox. I do not have any accounts set to check on startup. I am using only one SMTP setting. My POP mail still won't download!!!
This is a sho2wstopper. I can't download any of my POP mail.
StormFX

Post by StormFX »

Elen, Try turning the automatic downloading of messages at startup off for all your accounts, then restart TBird and turn them on one by one, restarting it after each one. Wait for the first (default) account until last.

Ke.han, your pop accounts may require you to authenticate. Check that box on your account(s).
clay ruby

Post by clay ruby »

ke.han wrote:I am not using global inbox. I do not have any accounts set to check on startup. I am using only one SMTP setting. My POP mail still won't download!!!
This is a sho2wstopper. I can't download any of my POP mail.

this is the same boat that i am in.
sdegrace

Post by sdegrace »

Me too, except that only one of my POP accounts was affected. I do not and have never used the global inbox, and have to use the same SMTP server for all accounts by necessity due to the policies of my ISP. I would receive the same error both at startup and when checking mail manually.

I was able to fix the problem by unsetting the check email at startup property for the affected account and re-starting. On re-start I received a message "building inbox summary file" or something to that effect, I wish I'd preserved it. After that everything worked normally including checking mail at startup.

I think that for whatever reason (but see below) TB was trying to build this summary file, perhaps starting it earlier in program execution in a separate thread but not having completed it when TB later tried to check mail, so the two threads were trying to access the same resource. The ongoing summary file task stopped the checking of mail, generating the error, which is actually understandable, but checking the mail seemed to also permanently derail the building task. The solution seems to have been to let the buiding task complete without interference, which in this case not checking mail at startup was able to accomplish.

I suspect this common problem can have multiple proximate causes but may have its roots in one or a small number of related bugs. In my case, I had recently merged my old profile into a new one, because the previous profile had become corrupt and the simple act of saving attachments was causing TB to hang (accept no input whatsoever) for upwards of thirty second and causing CPU use to go through the roof. It seems bizarre that one thing should have led to the other, but in fact merging the old profile into the new one fixed the problem. I hope the bug that caused my profile to become corrupt in the first place (the problem first appeared early this summer but I never got around to fixing it) has been sorted already.
old SKopischke

Post by old SKopischke »

Are you regularly compacting your folders? It is strongly recommended and can prevent problems such as are described in this thread. Check <<<b>this page</b>>> for more information on compacting folders.
sdegrace

Post by sdegrace »

I'm just getting TB to ask to compact folders automatically when doing so would save 100 K, which means they compacted fairly regularly. I think something like that should be the default behaviour that users have to make an effort to turn off, actually, and not the way it is now. Making users compact their own mail requires users to do something that most of them won't know about or expect. And then whoops, too late, you're suddenly having problems, too bad eh.

Essential data hygiene that is completely non-intuitive to uninitiated users but which can have very annoying consequences if not seen to should not depend on users happening to skim that part of the manual, or users reading the notes at all. Great way to get an undeserved reputation for bugginess and erode your market share.

Stephen
mkp123

Re: Info: Start up "This folder is being processed..."

Post by mkp123 »

The problem discussed here is a headache for almost all the users. I think that using multiple SMTPs may be the cause of these all errors. Because of this problem it is not possible to do further things with mail box. We can’t use the global inbox if this problem is encountered. This is not a big problem deal with mail box. We are able to fix the problem by unsetting the check email at startup.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
This thread is dated "Sept. 2005".
Please don't drag up these long dead threads.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
James

Post by James »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi,
This thread is dated "Sept. 2005".
Please don't drag up these long dead threads.
Locking.

It may be a possible spammer and this poster is just making up a post by copying parts of previous posts.