Memory Leak

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
rahfeldt

Memory Leak

Post by rahfeldt »

Something is dramatically different in FF 1.0PR. There appears to be a serious memory leak going on that was either not present in Release 0.93 or else was slower to reveal itself.

I am running Win98SE and am unable to use 1.0PR to access more than 5-6 sites before sites either cannot open or I get other indicators of something gone amuck.

After terminating FF, if I try to start even small, unrelated apps, I receive the message that they are unable to start due to lack of memory. The accompanying indication is to shut down something else to make room, but I have nothing else running. The only recourse is to reboot. All is fine unless I restart 1.0PR and use it for a short time.

As a result, I have removed 1.0PR and returned to 0.93. I seem to have no choice at this point.
-Jim-
willem@moz

Post by willem@moz »

Please give some more information about your system... cpu... ram......and these kind of things
The end-user is NEVER wrong, does not make any mistakes.
The programmer allows mistakes.
geffr

Post by geffr »

I have the exact same issue. Win 98 SE with all MS patches. 512 Ram. AMD Barton 2800+ CPU. ASUS MB. Chaintech Nvidia FX 5200 Video. I would be extremely grateful if this could be fixed - I really want to stay with Firefox. Here's what I posted in another forum:

"I'm not 100% certain, as I don't have to tools to measure it, but it's looking to me like Firefox 1.0 release candidate is bringing back the Netscape 7.02 Win 98 memory leak issue. After running Firefox 1.0 pr for an hour or so, my system slows to a crawl & the last time I got low resource warnings. The solution each time has been to shut down Firefox 1.0. I'm writing this with 0.93; which despite the security issues I've gone back to. I hope Moz addresses this; I've been using Firefox since 0.7 & 1.0 PR is the first version of Firefox that's given me this problem. I used the zipped version of 1.0 & removed previous profiles. "

Geff R
Cluey

Post by Cluey »

I have noticed this memory leak in winblowsXP too.
If you try the old trick of minimising Firefox the memory used, as reported by task manager, goes down and then continuously grows, even when minimised.
It looks to be growing by 8-20k every second and while I type this I have checked to see if it does the same with the window, windowed. I don't use full screen but it has just occurred to me to test.
OK in full screen mode it seems to slow but not stop the memory usage.

Edit. I just noticed how old the other posts were as I found them via search. I am having this problem with 1.0PR
I Used to Be Schizophrenic, but We're OK Now.
geffr

Post by geffr »

I have no explanation as to why, but the .10.1 security release seems to have solved the problem for me. (fresh install, NOT the patch)

Geff R
neelix

Post by neelix »

I never had FireFox installed before and Did a fresh install of the 0.10.1 and I still see a big memory leak!
I also notice that it uses a HUGE amount of memory. I've seen it over 80,000 K in Windows Task Manager and
thats with only 3 tabs in use. I only have 6 extensions installed also. Something needs to be done about
this memory problem. :shock:
WinXp Pro SP-2
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
1024MB DDR400 Corsair Memory
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Bug List for bugs with mlk key word for Firefox.

Bug List for bugs with mlk key word for browser.

Bug List for "memory" in Firefox.

Bug List for "memory" in browser.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

For historical purposes, the counts are:

respectively.

(I had to change the search from "browser" to "core".)
AnotherGuest.

Post by AnotherGuest. »

For entertainment, try reading other threads on this. Be prepared to sort out a lot of disinformation (we're all still learning). There are some known problems. One or two of you may be experiencing them, but not necessarily all of you. The various memory monitors generally do not show what you think they do. Nor does high memory use necessarily mean that the memory is not available for other programs.

Take a look at my messages in: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 05#1236705 . SChapel also has a more comprehensive list of suggestions.