Ideas for Thunderbird Extensions

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
mscott

Ideas for Thunderbird Extensions

Post by mscott »

I hope to start working on support for Thunderbird Extensions this weekend.

To kick things off, I've put together a document which describes the extension feature and contains a list of some ideas I've gotten from both the forum and personal email that might make good extensions for thunderbird.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... sions.html

I'll periodically check this thread and if I see some good ideas, I'll add them to the page.

-Scott
Thunderbirds are Go!
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

I have some wacky ideas ... I'd like to see Bayesian Training Extensions. Available in (for example), three flavors.

Light (start me off easy)
Medium (for most people)
Extreme (I hate email)

That way people can choose from a predetermined set of bayesian training. I'm thinking the majority of users don't have the patience to train their filter and might be discouraged by the lack of accuracy in the beginning of the process. Most people are just lazy and would be thinking "Everyone knows what spam is, I trust you to pick me a decent base that I can customize over time".

A ROT13 Extension - encryption for the lazy. :)

Keymapping extensions - vi-style navigation, emacs bindings, make my own.

The Ultimate Mailing List Manager - Example, right click on a folder, set "3 days", it keeps 3 days worth of mail, so I can subscribe to a high volume list and not worry about having to clean it out all the time. Bonus points for being able to associate a URL to each mailing-list, so I can middle click on the folder or whatever and it launches the browser to the archive page of the list.

vi-embedded-extension - So I can write my mail in vi. (I'm crazy like that)

Dual-head extension - this one is crazy. I have two monitors, Go crazy with the layout. ie. a whole monitor as a preview window, etc.

SuperIMAP with Maildirs - Down with local folders!! If you have multiple PCs and/or dualboot, the local folders are annoying, especially since you have to change the defaults to not use the. Even then, the tree gets in the way. Hide them from me, I just want to see my IMAP accounts and nothing else. Let me choose a ~Maildir (or whatever it is in windows) in the prefs and a button that says "Backup to local machine" or whatever. When I create an account, a "Restore from a Maildir" option would be available. Add the option for lined-out deleted messages and expunging instead of the Trash thing.
Rhubarb

Virtual folders

Post by Rhubarb »

As an added plus, how about virtual folders whose 'contents' are based on one or more 'real' folders (i.e., when an item is added to one of these real folders, it also, immediately, shows up in this virtual folder) with filtering capabilities?

Benefit: you don't have to save multiple copies of your emails for project related & people related items, it's easier to organise stuff, etc.
And He Said: "Rhubarb"
coffeemonk

PalmSync extension (plus another)

Post by coffeemonk »

my biggest extension NEED is:

PalmSync.
I'm currently using MozillaMail on my machine at work to do all my addressbook management chores because it has the Palm conduit. Until we have an extension which packages this conduit up for Thunderbird, i'll not be able to completely switch over (i use t-bird at home currently, and just "sync" my work & home address books via a remote FTP site).

another extension i'd like to see is:
not really an extension at all, per se, but rather excising the address book from Thunderbird and making it a standalone app that can be used as an extension in thunderbird (much like the "thunderbird-extension" plans for Firebird). this would allow greater integration of the Moz Address Book into the host OS, while still maintaining the explicit ties to Thunderbird.
m@
AceMarkE

Yahoo/Hotmail

Post by AceMarkE »

I'm doodling around with ideas for the Yahoo/Hotmail extension (loosely translated: I'm looking at the source code for MrPostman and YahooPOPS to see how they did it). If anyone else out there is interested in working on it, let me know.

My current thoughts involve mimicking their functionality using Python and PyXPCom, mostly because I like Python and think it could make a lot of work simpler. Then again, it might be possible to simply take a lot of the code and use it directly.

Question for mscott: YahooPOPS/MrPostman both work by acting as a POP3 server locally. Is there any way to interface directly with Thunderbird and transfer the messages instead?

Mark Erikson
jhirshon

Post by jhirshon »

Random sigs, auto-quote colors, vcard sigs and mail priority from the compose window - YES!!! :D

Bayesian spam filters - also YES - support for DSPAM (if applicable - it's the best of the Bayesian filters) at http://www.networkdweebs.com/software/dspam/

The idea for the Ultimate Mail List manager (from above post) is also an excellent one! :)

Support for Palm - a must! There might be an easy way to create this extension by using the LGPL technology at http://www.jsyncmanager.org/

Hope this helps and REALLY looking forward to seeing these extensions - TBIRD ROCKS! :D
stickedy

Post by stickedy »

I don't if anyone here knows Incredimail. I don't ike the program either, but it has a very nice Feature: by right-clicking on the status in the upper right corner you can select an advanced mail managment. A new window opens and you see a list with all messages wich are currently on the POP-Server and waiting for download. You can now select messages and choose to delete or pause downloading them.
This is very nice if you have a slow internet connection and some big message blocks your email account and so on. I think this would be a very exciting feature if Thunderbird would have such a possibility!
ericb

Re: Ideas for Thunderbird Extensions

Post by ericb »

<ul>
<li>allow to use Mozilla Calendar as a Thunderbird extension (it should
be simple and some calendar contributors/users want this).</li>
<li> Extension of address book :
- with new fields : birthday, anniversary, ...</li>
- a way to group cards (by company, family) which has something in common
(addresses, company names, ...)<br>
- a way to define the location and name of the addressbooks<br>
- true and unbuggy way to print the addressbooks in paper (with a minimum
level of customation in order to increase the number of cards per page).
</ul>
sgbouwhu

Post by sgbouwhu »

I would really like to see the Quick Reply function mentioned elsewhere on this forum as an extension!
mscott

Post by mscott »

Page has been updated to include some of the ideas discussed here. Should show up in an hour or so:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunder ... sions.html
Thunderbirds are Go!
willll

Post by willll »

Get All Messages
View / Message Body As / HTML / Simple / Plain
Set Mail Priority without menus
I don't understand why wouldn't be in the default build, anyway
©dn

Post by ©dn »

willll wrote:Get All Messages
View / Message Body As / HTML / Simple / Plain
Set Mail Priority without menus
I don't understand why wouldn't be in the default build, anyway

doing these

willll wrote:Get All Messages

http://downloads.mozdev.org/cdn/getmess/getmess.xpi - might return File menu item as well

willll wrote:View / Message Body As / HTML / Simple / Plain

button / menu / both ?

willll wrote:Set Mail Priority without menus

+ menu ?

expect in Trivial-like extension as soon as Tb has support, and I have it written
andrea.m

manual filters

Post by andrea.m »

Can anything be done with an extension? I'd like an extension that implements manual filters (currently filters can only be disabled or enabled), so that I can apply filters at the click of a button.
The code needs to access the filters files
Obscura

Play a sound...

Post by Obscura »

One of the things that I really miss is an email client that can play a sound file when mail I get new mail. It would also be super cool if different filters had the ability to play sounds when they had a hit. (woman moaning for new email, toilet flushing for deleted spam, etc)
Obscura

AutoBounce...

Post by Obscura »

The junk controls on MozillaMail have successfully zapped over a thousand spams since I activated them a few weeks ago. It would be nice if, in addition to moving the message to the spam can, the controls sent a bounce so it appeared to the spammers that the address was no longer working properly.

Pine lets you bounce any message and its a nice feature. :-)