Is my Firefox 32bit or 64?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Thaidog

Is my Firefox 32bit or 64?

Post by Thaidog »

I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 and I am wondering if it came with a Firefox that is 32bit or 64bit. How can you tell or how can you find out?
Bluefang

Re: Is my Firefox 32bit or 64?

Post by Bluefang »

If you go to about:buildconfig what is the build platform target?
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Thaidog

Post by Thaidog »

Bluefang wrote:If you go to about:buildconfig what is the build platform target?

x86_64-unkown-linux-gnu
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Then yes, I should think it is a 64bit build.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Firefox is 32-bit only. I've read that Mozilla may have plans for a 64-bit version when Firefox 4 rolls around, but nothing yet.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Most Linux distributions distribute a 3rd party build, so 64bit distros will likely have 64bit builds available. There are also 64bit 3rd party builds for Windows ( http://www.mozilla-x86-64.com/ )

But you're right, Mozilla doesn't currently support any 64bit platform, aside from making sure the code is compilable.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Thanks for the clarification, Bluefang.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
James

Post by James »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Firefox is 32-bit only. I've read that Mozilla may have plans for a 64-bit version when Firefox 4 rolls around, but nothing yet.

Bluefang wrote:Most Linux distributions distribute a 3rd party build, so 64bit distros will likely have 64bit builds available. There are also 64bit 3rd party builds for Windows ( http://www.mozilla-x86-64.com/ )

But you're right, Mozilla doesn't currently support any 64bit platform, aside from making sure the code is compilable.

Yes it is nothing new for many Linux distributions that have 64-bit OS's to also provide 64-bit Firefox packages. Some argue more 64-bit plugins should exist because of this but yet 64-bit plugins are still slow coming.