Firefox not finding websites on first attempt

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
drew2424

Firefox not finding websites on first attempt

Post by drew2424 »

This problem occurs randomly. Sometimes when I click on a link, www.drudgereport.com for example, I get a message in the lower left corner that says "looking up www.drudgereport.com..." and then after about 10-15 seconds I get a message that says "www.drudgereport.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again". Once I click "ok" I can click the link again and it will go right there.

Again, this is random. It makes no difference if I have been to the site before or not. It happens on many sites (not just drudge) and it ALWAYS goes right to the site after I click "ok" on the error message and try again.

Btw...I'm using version 1.0. This also happened on with the previous version, but instead of saying "looking up www.xxx.com", it would say "resolving host for www.xxx.com" or something like that.

This is the only problem I have with firefox. Thanks for any suggestions.

Post by Guest »

Never heard of that problem. You need to check your connectivity. Especially if you're using a wireless connection.
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Hmm, well, I have sort of heard of this problem.

Can you tell us what speed/type connection you have? Also, what are your computer specifications?

Post by Guest »

I have a cable connection (3mb), XP home, 2.6P4, 768mb RAM, ZoneAlarm firewall. I doubt it has anything to do with the connection because it is so random...when it happens i can usually click on some other link and it will work right away. My connection is reliable and it never happens when I use IE.
drew2424

Post by drew2424 »

That last post was mine btw...
jandaman

Post by jandaman »

I have the same problem (dsl)
For example, I'll be reading Fark.com and opening the links in a new tab. What really bugs me is if a page doesn't load for some reason, the address bar remains blank.
drew2424

Post by drew2424 »

I guess I should also mention that I have the following extensions installed....

1. Googlebar
2. text zoom
3. nuke anything
4. image zoom
5. close tab on double click
6. ieview
7. dictionary search
SpeedyGonsales

Post by SpeedyGonsales »

You have problems with DNS IPv6 resolving (I know because I had it too).

Solution:

1. Type about:config in location bar
2. Find(scroll down to) network.dns.disableIPv6
3. Right click on above item
4. Choose toggle

Problem should be solved. Strictly speaking problem is at your provider (and mine) that use DNS cacheing servers, without support
for IPv6 requests, but Firefox (Mozilla) could ship with default setting at true, not false. Just a suggestion.

HTH

--
God speed
drew2424

Post by drew2424 »

That seems to have fixed it.....thanks much speedy!
wiseman5455

Post by wiseman5455 »

It worked for me too!!! I thank you very much Speedy was having the same problem as well!

Cheers:-)

Post by Guest »

So changing the value from FALSE to TRUE has resolved this hang-up issue?
dreamerboy

Post by dreamerboy »

I am having the exact same problem, and it is really irritating. Randomly, some links won't work on the first attempt and I have to click again, just like drew2424 said. I tried changing my IPv6 setting from false to true like Speedy recommended, but that didn't work. Does anybody have any other suggestions? I already re-installed Firefox and it still happens. The interesting thing is that it didn't happen the first few weeks I used the browser.
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

dreamerboy, your connection speed and computer specs?
st33lwolf

Post by st33lwolf »

im having the same issue... but its not a problem... i just c it when i went to that site...

specs : t3 connection, p4 ht ext 3.65ghz, 1012 mb ram, xp corp sp 2

dont matter though... i only see that error on that page...
dreamerboy

Post by dreamerboy »

I have a Celeron 700MHz, 256MB RAM, Windows 98SE, with cable internet 2.6 megabits per second.