Firefox 1.0 sucking up memory

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
james_go_2001

Post by james_go_2001 »

I know one thing is firefox 1.0 starts out at about 16k to 20k in the windows xp task manager but<br>after some time Navigating page to page for about 30 min's my memory usage is get's bigger and bigger by ever page i visit.<br><br>Take Shockwave.com for example you can be on there and not doing a dam thing and it sucks up some memory usage over some time.
Like play some shockwave games or any web page that got flash will eat up memory real fast but by the time it get's loaded it's in the 100k to 120k mark and getting higher by the minute. if any one had only 128mb in your computer firefox would kill it.<br>
GOD... GTA vice city use around 75k to play<br>
If you want play around and want to suck some more memory start moveing the mouse around on the page but<br>dont click on any thing and it starts getting higher too. :(
Onlooker

Post by Onlooker »

I have 128 MB's Ram and Firefox does me just fine. Then again I don't mess around with Shockwave games and the like. The Shockwave is likely the culprit, not Firefox. Flash I have no problem with at all. It slows me down for a second or two if it is heavy but that's about it. Maybe you need more computer???
james_go_2001

Post by james_go_2001 »

I have 5 computers and there way over 128mb.
All my computer have 512mb but one got 256mb and there way over 1.6 ghz starting from the lowest. i guess it's no big deal but it is wired that firefox can suck up to 45 to 55 mb or higher on normal web surfing and if you play some internet games it can get to 100 to 120 mb or higher at any time.

I guess... i can live with it cause i have over 256mb and i like firefox alot :)
J...

Post by J... »

I have also noticed an increased memory usage since upgrading to the PR (in 9.2 or whatever everything was smooth). I upgraded to SP2 (XP Pro) and the PR at the same time so I'm not sure which is the culprit.

Post by Guest »

Im still on sp1 and Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040913 Firefox/0.10.1
Right now as I type I have 35,836k
I have 640RAM so not much of a big deal to me.But I do feel for people with lower amounts.It really should be using this much.That is one place IE has FF beat.....for now until this gets fixed.

Post by Guest »

maybe an extension??

Post by Guest »

I myself did a full fresh install before anything was put in,default and all and still saw the leak.
After adding what I have now,I dont see any change from then so I dont thing themes,extension and a few custom tweaks do all that much as far as helping in the memory leak.
Thats just my case findings though.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Some users find Firefox has a memory leak. This is a common problem but the majority of Firefox users do not experience it.
There is a bug report filed, but I do not know the progress of fixing it.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0

Post by Guest »

Im having the same issue with firefox: after starting navigation I have 100% of memory used. I don't think that shockwave is the problem 'cause in my case I was not viewing shockwave or flash files, only navigating the web. I needed to shut down the program but when restarting it the same happened. I have 256MB of RAM. I even restarted my computer but had no luck.

Now Im using IE for writing this message LOL cause firefox is causing problems.

Version .9 was very fine and fast for execute.

1.0PR takes too long to start (like Netscape) and I guess now firefox is not the smooth and faster browser like was before. :( too bad
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Firefox will get slightly slower with each release, because the developers are adding new stuff with each version.
It also depends on the number of extensions, plugins, and other customsiations that will run at startup.

Firefox will never start up as quickly as IE, because IE is integrated into Windows to the point that al lot of what IE uses is loaded with Windows. Firefox has to load in its entirety. The second time you run Firefox during a single Windows session, it will load faster because when you close it it keeps some of itself in the memory (it stays memory-resident) so it will load faster next time.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
james_go_2001

Post by james_go_2001 »

I noticed that if you are listening to a radio station stream via of web page will sucks up memory too but listening to the radio stream for more then 20 to 30 min will kill firefox so i had to find the .asx and import it to my player. some web pages wont let you import and you have to use a plugin :(

Thankyou all for posting all this info.
tongle

Post by tongle »

Same thing happens to me...I managed to get Firefox to use 100 megs of my memory (and XP itself only uses 82 megs >_>)
<b><a href="http://www.petitiononline.com/f1254114/petition.html">Sign this petition if you want to help spread Firefox</a></b>
Ken_2004

FF Usage on RAM

Post by Ken_2004 »

I love FF too but as many ppl have pointed out, the memory usage is too high. I use XP sp1 and have 384mb RAM. Most frequently I checked my memory usage, FireFox used up 200MB. I do not use plugin. I only have 5 skins, which I think was not the culprit. I only opened 3 tabs maximum and all plain site with lot of texts [no java script, no flash, nada, plain like this forum]. I opened FF the whole day and nite, though, cause I need to access information from net at any given time.

The only thing I could do to avoid excess RAM usage was to quit FF and re-load the application. It would normally start fresh from 20MB, though, most certainly after hours of browsing that will increase again.

I just would like to be honest on my post at this board and do not invite any flames from FF fans -as I have seen recently happened here too frequent. Please -ppl are starting to fear posting any issues they have with FF here.
Poddytat

Post by Poddytat »

I have the same issue with FF hogging my memory. I would post a jpg to prove it. Right now, it's hogging 142MB, and I haven't been doing any java or flash surfing. Just plain old looking. I even cleared the stupid cache. Matter of fact, until this is straightened out I think I'm going back to Avant Browser.

PS I don't care if I get flamed, I'm not an idiot, and I know there's a problem here.
ntrigue

Post by ntrigue »

same here, I have winxp sp1 with 384mb ram and the latest version of Firefox is hogging up more memory every minute. Its crazy! I dont think its to do with any of the extensions/add-ons or with any other software. The problem is poor memory management by Coders of Firefox who have forgotten that there are still people out there with less than 512mb ram.

Ps. SP2 for WinXP sux. If you want better protection, switch to linux! :)