MozillaZine

Incorrect email rendering due to headers AND Zombie files

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Gensuke

Post Posted July 1st, 2003, 3:08 pm

Yesterday i was checking imported email messages from eudora and I've noticed a couple of things:

1) Some bad formatted outlook 2000 email is not rendered correctly: everything goes in the message body, headers panel nonexistant, subject panel expanded, but empty.

This email cause me a lot of troubles:

From ???@??? Wed Jan 08 20:35:52 2003
Return-Path: <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>
Received: from smtp4.libero.it (193.70.192.54) by ims1d.libero.it (6.5.028)
id XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX for xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx; Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:03:14 +0100
Received: from xxxxxxxxxx.xx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) by smtp4.libero.it (6.7.015)
id xxxxxxxxxx; Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:03:14 +0100
Received: from xxxxxxxxxx.xx ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by xxxxxxxxxx.xx with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.4453);
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:00:21 +0100
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.5762.3
content-class: urn:content-classes:message
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="utf-8"
Subject: Very important email from the office
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:00:19 +0100
Message-ID: <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: Very important email from the office
Thread-Index: xxxxxxxxxx.xx++
To: "xxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>
Cc: "xxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>,
"xxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>,
"xxxxxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 08 Jan 2003 10:00:21.0459 (UTC) FILETIME=[xxxxxxx:xxxxxxx]

Actual messagebody

2) HTML email with "contenttype" missing or invalid: eudora seems to recognise an html message marked as text/plain and adds a couple of extra tags (<x-htm></x-html>) wrapping the message body, in order to render such type of mails.

It would be nice to find a way to check if the message is really plain text or not (and detect plain text messages cointaining sample html code *grin*)

3) Sometime the deletion of email and/or accounts is only logical: the files and directoryes (and prefs.js entries) are still there.

Regards.

niralisse

Post Posted July 1st, 2003, 3:58 pm

This is most likely related to trunk bug <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3157">3157</a> an oldie that really should be fixed by now. A lot of Eudora users (including myself) can't use mozilla mail/tbird because it won't import html mail from Eudora properly. A solution was posted in bugzilla, but it seems nobody's gotten around to implementing it yet.

Gensuke

Post Posted July 1st, 2003, 4:52 pm

niralisse wrote:This is most likely related to trunk bug <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3157">3157</a> an oldie that really should be fixed by now. A lot of Eudora users (including myself) can't use mozilla mail/tbird because it won't import html mail from Eudora properly. A solution was posted in bugzilla, but it seems nobody's gotten around to implementing it yet.

If you do not have a lot of mails, you could just delete the <x-html> tags (search and replace with a text editor and insert a "Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" under the "Mime-Version:" line of headers.

I've manually corrected all my mails in that way.

The only drawback is that the mails are marked unread (and you cannot edit compressed mail files).

niralisse

Post Posted July 2nd, 2003, 2:01 pm

Not even worth it, Gensuke. Thunderbird isn't *that* good... :D I also have a few thousand HTML emails. Moz should do this menial task for me, isn't that the point of an import?

Return to Thunderbird Bugs