LDAP setup problems

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
magavara

LDAP setup problems

Post by magavara »

I just transferred from MS Outlook Express to TB 0.9 and notice that the LDAP Directory setup is different from OE and I can’t get it to work.
1. What do the fields ‘Base DN’ and ‘Bind DN’ mean, and what do I have to enter there?
2. I need to log on to my LDAP server with a password … where can I enter that??

Post by Guest »

What is the mail server running on your host? MS-Exchange Server? Anyways I guess you will need to ask your administrator about the values for BaseDN and BindDN..... E.g. My co. uses Exchange server where the LDAP settings dont require me to specify BindDN (anonymous bind) with a BaseDN of "c=US" - however the exchange server uses NT authentication which I get prompted for...

I dont know/ understand LDAP too well -- but as far as I understand, BaseDN is the 'path' to the root of the structure where information about people (e-mail address included) is stored in your LDAP server whereas BindDN is the 'path' to the information of the identity you will login with into the LDAP server. [LDAP is a 'directory service' - so think similar to folder structure that we are used to - however with much more features. LDAP identifies folders with Distinguished Names (DN) - a 'path' which have parts (name-value pairs) separated by commas (instead of / or \ that file-system directories use) - so a typical DN could be "ou=Sales,dc=MyDomain,dc=com" )
mmckenzie

Post by mmckenzie »

For my MS-Exchange 5.5 server, the settings are as follows:

Base DN: cn=Recipients,ou=London,o=Autograph
Bind DN: cn=Matt,o=Autograph

Where Autograph is the "Organisation Name" and London is the "Site Name"
and Matt is the "User Name" and Autograph is the "Domain Name"

the user's password will be sought in a subsequent dialog box.

For Exchange with Active Directory, the settings are different and have been discussed in another thread, but the advice seems to be:

Base DN: dc=company,dc=com
Port number: 3268
Bind DN: company\username

in particular note that with Active Directory, Exchange's LDAP port is changed from the default LDAP port (389)