BOOKMARKS-management by far too primitive - SUGGESTIONS

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
thetiger

BOOKMARKS-management by far too primitive - SUGGESTIONS

Post by thetiger »

Hi there!

I am a facinated user of Firefox (and before of Mozilla, Netscape - in between switching to Opera and recently switched back): So THANKS for developping this great browser.

BUT:

The bookmarks management really sucks. It is even less user friendly than in the early Netscape-Versions.

E.G:

- You can't sort the bookmarks by dragging and dropping, and cutting and pasting regularely pasts at really unlogic places.

- The search-function dos not show, in which folder the bookmark is located. This WAS the case in Netscape (before the open source Mozilla times).

These two features make it really annoying for a today's surfer with large lists of bookmarks.

Thanks, Urs Thalmann.
Lost User 15175

Post by Lost User 15175 »

- I drag and drop bookmarks all the time. Pasting a bookmark will paste it directly below your current selection, or at the bottom of the bookmarks if no selection is made.

- dunno anything about that, never used the searc.
thetiger

Somhow... but could nevertheless be much better

Post by thetiger »

Hi guice!

Somehow you're right, dragging works in some cases, but cutting and pasitng does sometims work and sometimes not, I mean sometimes the bookmarks get pasted at really weird places.

And the search function is essential to me, and I want to know, in which folder I have stored my bookmark when I find it through the search function. Like the search function in windows explorer (if you are a windiot user as I am): when a file is found, you see in which folder it is located on your hard disk.

The old Netscape bookmarks manager with a explorer-like two windows style (folders left and content right) was much easier to use.

However, it should really not be that difficult to implement this features that have been present long time ago I think.

Regards, Urs.
EazY

Post by EazY »

I agree that the folder should be shown when searching - and there's also a bug with the bookmarks sidebar search that makes the properties window not show up when I useu it on the context menu of a bookmark after searching.

I never have problems with dragging or copying though - ctrl-click and drag will copy an item and I think shift-click will drag an item on the bookmarks menu.
Carbon_Unit

Post by Carbon_Unit »

The left frame in the bookmarks manager should be eliminated, it's like the right frame except it only shows the folders. That folder tree isn't in Netscape, so I wonder why it was added.
lbecque

Post by lbecque »

In regard to dropping or pasting bookmarks make sure that 'view unsorted' is turned on for the bookmarks to go where you want. Otherwise they are instantly resorted and end up not where you want.

I too agree that something is needed to show the folder when searching. This is sorely missed and even Netscape 4 had this!
lbecque

Post by lbecque »

To get this fix in the works go to Bugzilla and 'vote for this bug'!!!! at the following URL's:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196509
Bug 196509 - Search for bookmark should show parent folder

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171575
Bug 171575 - Implement "find bookmark"
tanstaafl_bh

Post by tanstaafl_bh »

The left frame can easily be hiddn by simply dragging the frame divider all the way to the left...