MozillaZine

problems with yahoo mail

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
pasmis

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 5:22 am

Since this morning I am no longer able to enter my yahoo mail page. It shows a page with instructions to update to firefox 3.6 OPTIMIZED FOR YAHOO! (with yahoo toolbar). This sounds crazy!!! There is no skip link or any other options. They simply don't let me login.

I am currently using Firefox 3.5.8 because some of my add-ons don't work on 3.6

Could this Yahoo action be legal? To force someone to use a specific browser or their fu**ing toolbar?

(note that in the screenshot is firefox, no chrome)

Large image.
Last edited by LIMPET235 on March 16th, 2010, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large image tags removed to preserve the forum layout...

Franadora

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 12:10 pm

If you remove everything on your URL after "yahoo.com", will it be any better? Or does it redirect you back to this page?
Wenn es nicht spassig ist, ist es nicht richtig gemacht.
--Windows7 Starter, Home Premium & Pro; Android Jelly Beans 4.1.1; WindowsXP (disappearing)

Digidave

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 12:25 pm

I had the same problem. See my post titled "Firefox stole my homepage" I tried everything to get to my homepage which is my Yahoo e-mail. I finally wound up having to update to 3.6 from 3.5.8 just to get my e-mail. It's working out for the most part but I still have problems with Optimoz tweaks which really bums me out. Just the idea that Firefox forced me to update in order to get my e-mail is quite discerning though. Makes me wonder what's going on.

Digidave

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 12:29 pm

Oh, by the way, I downloaded the update .exe file for updating. I didn't use the link provided & I didn't have any request asking me if I wanted a Yahoo toolbar. It was a normal update like any other.

LoudNoise

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 12:31 pm

Firefox didn't make you update. If you cannot use the Yahoo page because something Yahoo did it is not Firefox's fault

Try this folks
Clear your cache. Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> Network, Clear Now button.

If you are still having problems delete any cookies that have to do with the site. Tools --> Options --> Privacy, Show Cookies button

If you are not using Windows see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differen ... x,_and_Mac
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

teoli2003

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Btw, I wouldn't update Firefox by downloading something at Yahoo. They will likely try to push some crap at the same time.

But they are free to do whatever on their services. If you don't like it, vote with your feet, go to another webmail. There are plenty of them around here, most of them not trying to trick you into installing software.

Ngamer01

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Companies (especially Google after being hacked by an IE 6 exploit) do realize that people can't continue to use old, out-dated software. Using old browsers is like leaving doors open and unlocked in your house.

Yahoo! may have ulterior motives (marketing/advertising) when offering a Yahoo! version of Firefox 3.6, but their main intention is to get you to upgrade so that you stop using old, out-dated software. Sure Firefox 3 and 3.5 updates are still being issued by Mozilla, but the final updates for those two versions are approaching soon.

Eventually Mozilla will stop supporting Firefox 3 and 3.5 in favor of pushing 3.6 and nightly updates. Then when Firefox.next is ready to go gold, 3.6 updates will cease a number of months after the final release of Firefox.next (after the development/beta cycle is complete).

pasmis

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 4:23 pm

@Franadora - There's no way to trick the redirected page. Sometimes the mail page opens normally - about 30% of the tries. It's all about luck :)

@Digidave - Firefox certainly does not force you to update. Yahoo is the one who is desperately trying to push their crap (Yahoo toolbar), hiding it in "The New Firefox".

@LoudNoise - Cleared the cache and renoved all cookies but did not solve the problem.

@teoli2003 - You are right. I am using gmail but for mailing lists I want to have the emails sorted in folders not with labels therefore

I'm thinking what would happen if someday Google would let us access Gmail just in Chrome ...

pasmis

Post Posted March 10th, 2010, 4:41 pm

@Ngamer01 - "Firefox 3.5.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until August 2010"

I want them (yahoo) to "warmly recommend" me to update not to force me +their crap (toolbar)!

Davezilla17

Post Posted March 11th, 2010, 6:09 am

K-Meleon has a similar problem with Yahoo! Mail. If I sign into it with KM I use 'Classic Mail' which I actually prefer anyway. I admit the all new singing & dancing Yahoo! Mail is probably better & I can open that with another browser if I really need to. A word of warning though, although I can spoof my user agent with K-Meleon, it may fool the browser sniffer but it doesn't actually work properly. I just use the KM default UA now.

I found that spoofed it had problems with the address book. Primarily that it seemed to be under the impression that my contacts list needed to be constantly added to after I sent an email. Sometimes it kept telling me I had duplicate contacts. ](*,)

For example if I emailed my brother in France, who is in my contacts list, after I sent the email it kept asking me to 'add contact'. When I reverted to 'Classic Mail' it was fine.
SeaMonkey ~ A sane browser in an insane world.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

dsjohn

Post Posted March 11th, 2010, 10:23 am

I got the same error in my firefox while opening my yahoo. I can't open it.

But after doing a browser updates, my firefox is working now with yahoo.. :)
Sig removed by moderator. faq.php?mode=rules#f4r13

LoudNoise

Post Posted March 11th, 2010, 11:34 am

dsjohn-
Please remove the commercial links from your signature
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."

Ngamer01

Post Posted March 15th, 2010, 9:11 am

pasmis wrote:@Ngamer01 - "Firefox 3.5.x will be maintained with security and stability updates until August 2010"

I want them (yahoo) to "warmly recommend" me to update not to force me +their crap (toolbar)!

You don't even have to take Yahoo's version of Firefox. There's always: http://www.mozilla.com/ :wink:

earther

Post Posted March 16th, 2010, 7:25 am

I have been getting that the last two days around midnight eastern time. I was able to get around it by going to Yahoo.com or logging out or using an obscure Linux browser. Eventually it stops (but probably to be reborn daily). I wrote Yahoo! some nasty feedback for all the good it will do.

earther

Post Posted March 17th, 2010, 8:31 am

FYI, the dreaded download did not hijack the login page last night. Now that's something to Yahoo! about!!!

Return to Firefox General