MozillaZine

Thunderbird rejects differing IMAP accounts w/ same login

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
modgeekgirl

Post Posted July 31st, 2003, 11:13 pm

I've searched both the forum and bugzilla and have not found any indication that this has already been submitted and if it has, I do apologize :)

I'm using the latest thunderbird build (0.1) running on windows XP pro, 1.2ghz, 640Mb of ram. I do not have the imap server info however I do believe it's qpopper running but I am not sure. It is running FreeBSD 4.7 however.

I have one physical box that has two domains aliased to it: foo.com and bah.com. The login is secure and requires foo@foo.com for both login and to send mail. So, the account foo@foo.com sends and recieves mail just peachy. When I created the second account, with the email address of foo@bah.com, I need to set up the login as foo@foo.com for IMAP to send mail. Thunderbird allows me to through the process untill I get to the username and states "A mail or newsgroup account with the same username and server name already exists. Click back adn enter a different server name or click Cancel."

I do realise that for most, this is pretty trival, but in the age where a lot of domain aliasing is now used instead of physical boxes it is frustrating.

The work-around is to use the IP for the host instead and that works just fine.

I'm just curious if this is a true bug or a quirk or what. But since I have not seen this posted in either the forum or bugzilla, I thought I'd bring it up ;)

Lisa

rosskendall

Post Posted August 1st, 2003, 1:01 pm

I found a similar difficulty (except using POP accounts). It is not possible to have multiple Thunderbird email accounts that use the same server (POP, IMAP or SMTP) and username. I actually wouldn't mind this if I could set up multiple 'From:' email addresses and names for one account.

My one email account receives email from an unlimited number of aliases across 5 different domain names. It would be nice to be able to respond using the appropriate email address

Would the reason be that Thunderbird developers assumed that this isn't what users should be doing, and so put the check in to stop less experienced users from making a mess of their accounts?

For me it's simply a matter of managing my multiple email addresses that I use for different roles (work, play, etc.) To do this I think it would be great to have these features:
- multiple 'From' email addresses and names for one account
- automatic selection of correct 'From' address when replying
- different signatures for each 'From' address

P.S. Thanks Thunderbird folk for all the great work, it's looking really good.

modgeekgirl

Post Posted August 1st, 2003, 1:46 pm

I agree. If I could manage mulitple domain addresses with one account, instead of having to do the hack around would be awesome. I think your post brings up valid points but I think one of the reason (in my opine) that this may not have been addressed is to cut down on spam outbound, at least, in my opinion that seems to be reasonable answer as to why this has not been addressed.

Return to Thunderbird Bugs