MozillaZine

RSS feeds re-downloading

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
srah

Post Posted December 9th, 2004, 1:26 pm

My RSS feeds were working just fine, then quite inexplicably (I can't remember changing anything) TB started re-downloading all of my RSS feeds every time I restarted it, rather than just downloading *new* posts.

I have a sort of temporary fix going on now with filters, so that I just have to delete *that day's* messages and all earlier ones are filtered to the Trash, but it's a pain having to delete these read posts and remember to update the filter every day!

I was hoping that upgrading to 1.0 would solve the problem, but I've just done it and it hasn't worked.

I thought I had read about someone else having this problem, but I don't see any mention of it in this topic, so maybe it's one of my settings that's wrong instead of an actual bug. Any advice?

FXWGBill

Post Posted December 9th, 2004, 11:27 pm

I am having the same problem, duplicate news articles in my RSS feeds, and am a new user. At this point I'm not even sure how to create a filter to help with the problem. I would appreciate any and all help ...

Thanx,

FXWGBill

srah

Post Posted December 10th, 2004, 12:28 am

It's only a temporary fix, but what I did was:

1) Click on "News & Blogs" in the folder list
2) Click "Manage message filters"
3) Click the "New..." button
4) Give your filter a name, select either of the radio buttons, select "Date" from the first pull-down menu, "is before" from the second and type today's date into the last field. (Unfortunately you have to change that every day!) I have the checkbox checked for "Move to folder" and am putting any old ones in the "Trash" folder.

Again, only temporary and a pain to have to update all the time - I'm still looking for something better!

dominich

Post Posted December 10th, 2004, 6:50 am

srah wrote:It's only a temporary fix, but what I did was:

1) Click on "News & Blogs" in the folder list
2) Click "Manage message filters"
3) Click the "New..." button
4) Give your filter a name, select either of the radio buttons, select "Date" from the first pull-down menu, "is before" from the second and type today's date into the last field. (Unfortunately you have to change that every day!) I have the checkbox checked for "Move to folder" and am putting any old ones in the "Trash" folder.

Again, only temporary and a pain to have to update all the time - I'm still looking for something better!
A better filter is Age In Days is greater than 1 with action = Delete this message.

Still just a temporary fix. I hate having to sort through multiple copies of an item.

srah

Post Posted December 10th, 2004, 11:15 am

Thanks. So multiple people are having this problem... is it a reported bug, then?

dominich

Post Posted December 10th, 2004, 11:34 am

srah wrote:Thanks. So multiple people are having this problem... is it a reported bug, then?
Just looked, Bugzilla has it as Bug 258465, looks like its been around since 0.8 at least

sokrates1

Post Posted December 13th, 2004, 3:59 pm

The bug has been reported "fixed", but i still got the same problem. And it just started yesterday. For no apparent reason, without me changing anything. I just killed the whole rss-account, but that can't be the answer, now can it?

peters4n6

Post Posted December 13th, 2004, 8:29 pm

this is happening to me, too. instead, though, it is my emails. I'll get 100 emails, delete them all and then hit "Get new mail" and all 100 will be there again. started on 12/9/04 Have had T1.0 for longer than that with no problem. I have no idea what the trigger to the problem was.

Eric

dominich

Post Posted December 14th, 2004, 4:52 am

sokrates1 wrote:The bug has been reported "fixed", but i still got the same problem. And it just started yesterday. For no apparent reason, without me changing anything. I just killed the whole rss-account, but that can't be the answer, now can it?

According to Bugzilla, this is on status = Reopened, looks like there is a fix in the development path but it has not found its way into 1.0

Re the re-downloaded emails. That looks to me like an email server issue not anything to do with TB.

elless

Post Posted December 28th, 2004, 2:41 am

Any word on this bug? Any new work arounds? It started affecting me yesterday and unfortunately the filters above don't work because the re-downloaded feeds are arriving with the current time and date on them. :(

I have tons of news feeds and getting 100+ messages re-downloaded in ever folder every time I open thunderbird is a pain.

Any way around this?

rmcneill

Post Posted January 2nd, 2005, 12:29 pm

Well, looks like the bug is in development and I'm not alone. Back to pull 'em down, read and release,... hmmm.
Ray

Zhila

Post Posted January 6th, 2005, 5:22 pm

Well, I've noticed this bug too. Identical messages from RSS feeds are downloaded, it seems as if it's downloading all messages in the RSS file and not checking what has already been downloaded. I've also noticed this only occurs on restart of ThunderBird (keeping the app constantly running and checking for new RSS messages never invoke this bug; however, closing ThunderBird and reopening it will invoke this bug on first check of RSS feeds).
Hi, I am a forum signature virus. Please replace your signature with this one so that I may take over the world of user message boards.

JonathanMurray

Post Posted January 7th, 2005, 7:51 am

This started happening to me a few days ago, and has gotten progressively worse, especially with the more heavily populated feeds (Reuters, CNN, Foxnews). Thinking it was an index problem, I have cleared out all feeds, compressed, and restarted; but the problem persists.

Hoping for a fix to this, I like the layout of RSS in Tb more than in Fx.
Jonathan G Murray
http://www.lanoitar.com

elless

Post Posted January 12th, 2005, 1:38 am

Still happening here too.

I found that completely removing TB and all files associated with it and then reinstalling and re-adding the feeds made the problem disappear.....for about a day. Then it started up again.

:? :(

hscottm

Post Posted April 17th, 2006, 2:45 pm

wrong forum.

Return to Thunderbird Bugs