Any anti-virus programs that work with Thunderbird?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
daniel

Post by daniel »

ellandry wrote:daniel how can avg 7's email scanner work in thunderbird, it has no plugin for it plus inside TB i see now icon for avg but i see in outlook

also Im tryiing avast right now. Question will it protect me when i use Mozilla Thunderbird email program or only if I use Outlook or OE?

AVG doesn't install a plugin to work. You need to go to the AVG Control Centre --> Email Scanner and in the drop-down box with "installer plugins" as a lable above it select "Personal Email Scanner" and click properties. Then click "Add" --> leave the drop-down box labeled "Server type and protocol" as "POP3" --> Click "Connection" on the left, change the "type of login" to "Fixed host" and put your email servers POP3 address in. Click "OK" and go through the same proccess again but this time change the "Server type and protocol" to "SMTP" and the "Connection" to your email servers SMTP server, then click "Ok".

You will notice that the Servers tab will now have to items and when highlighted, down the bottom there will be a label "Local port" and below it it will have a number like 5202. Take note of both the numbers and now go to Thunderbirds account settings and change the server name for both POP3 and SMTP to 127.0.0.1 and change the port to the ones that you can see in the AVG window that you should still have open.

Also if you want AVG to "certify" your mail by adding the little tag down the bottom of incoming and outgoing click "Ok" in the current AVG window and click "Configure" in the one you go back to. Make sure that "Check incoming mail" and "Check outgoing mail" boxes are ticked and then tick "Certify mail" below both of those boxes. Keep clicking "Ok" until you are back at the main AVG screen and then close the AVG main window.

Don't forget to send a test email and receive one back to make sure that it worked.

I hope this helps you,
Daniel
OverlordQ

Post by OverlordQ »

Hendikins wrote:For the record, Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.0 seems to work.

NAV Corporate 7.60 DOES NOT on the other hand . . From what I can tell the E-mail get's downloaded, then Mozilla gives a error that it cannnot write to disk.
AorB

Post by AorB »

ellandry wrote:daniel how can avg 7's email scanner work in thunderbird, it has no plugin for it plus inside TB i see now icon for avg but i see in outlook

also Im tryiing avast right now. Question will it protect me when i use Mozilla Thunderbird email program or only if I use Outlook or OE?

AVG doesn't install a plugin to work. You need to .... A few (or more) paragraphs of instructions .... and then close the AVG main window.

Don't forget to send a test email and receive one back to make sure that it worked.

Personally, I use a number of programs to screen my emails, both coming and going. I have script sentry on guard always, McAfee's total scan disk periodically, and NAV always on.

Norton Anti-Virus automatically, without any hassle on my part, has caught more than a few incoming virii in several of the 3 or more mailing programs that I use. Although it costs me less than $20 a year to continue, a new virus signature upgrade occurs every wednesday automatically, since I have it set that way. I attest to its affectiveness, it's saved my butt several times. I've considered it my "primary" virii wacker for at least 5 years.

Norton AntiVirus automatically sets up virus protection for email programs that use POP3 and SMTP communications protocols, so it protects my data whether I use Thunderbird, Eudora, Calypso, QuickMail, FTPexplorer, or Pop3 Scan Mailbox WITHOUT any fiddling on my part.

BTW, I never use Outlook Express and only use IE when MS makes it impossible to use another program. I did download AVG to take a look at it, but it was a major pain to setup and use... so it got wiped.

What I'm saying, I guess, is try 'em all and use the one that "works" for you. So that's my opinion.

Oh yeah, don't forget a good firewall. I suggest either ZoneAlarm or Sygate, both are free and very highly rated.
ellandry

Post by ellandry »

well I got 11 worm emails today and NOD32 blocked and deleted all of them. Thats proof enough for me
Kelt

Post by Kelt »

thanks for the info, i am going to give that a try
"There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot."
---Steven Wright
peterx2

Avast appears to work ok..

Post by peterx2 »

I have been running avast on a win-me machine and it seems to work ok with thunderbird.. Adds a cert tag to incoming and javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
javascript:emoticon(':lol:')outgoing.
MSL

Post by MSL »

How did you get avast to work thats what i am using and need help with it.
old Neil Parks

Post by old Neil Parks »

MSL wrote:How did you get avast to work thats what i am using and need help with it.

It's not easy to set up. You have to hand edit an INI file. Fortunately the help screens are reasonably helpful. The FAQ on Avast's web site is worth looking at also.

But once it's set up, it works very well.
technomage

Post by technomage »

ellandry wrote:I tried this test with Thunderbird and NAV 2003 pro and NAV let me download every email without so much as a message.

http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

I thought that Norton (I've got NAV7.61) didn't detect virii on download, only on attempts to run.

also, i tried the GFI thing. yes i received the emails (which is more a fault of the server, not the antivirus or the email program), but only one of them created gfi-test.txt on my desktop, and I had to actually attempt to run the file for it to do so. sounds like decent enough results to me, no?
Daffe

AVG 6.0 vs. 7.0

Post by Daffe »

I have AVG 6.0 and received an email with a virus attachment in Thunderbird 0.3 that was already modified to .PIF ... Is this because AVG thinks Thunderbird is similar to Netscape's email client or did someone just send me an email with an already modified virus attachment? I'll upgrade to 7.0 if 6.0 doesn't provide any email support for Thunderbird.
Nerd3D

AVG is a proxy mail scanner

Post by Nerd3D »

You have to set it up using the manual configuration (Which is a bit confusing). Your POP server will be localhost (127.0.0.1) and some port number I can't remember. The SMTP is the same.

Nav 2000 worked this way. I presently use NAV 2003 without any problem.
^_^ Happy Rendering ^_^
http://www.nerd3d.com
Daffe

Post by Daffe »

Thanks for the info! Actually, ended up purchasing AVG 7.0 the other day. Decided I need more writeoffs for my business.
Geronimo

Post by Geronimo »

I don't seem to be aqble to follow the AVG advice. I have the free edition if that matters.
Nerd3D

I don't think...

Post by Nerd3D »

I don't think the free version works with any thing but OE.
^_^ Happy Rendering ^_^
http://www.nerd3d.com
shaidar

Linux antivirus?

Post by shaidar »

Any suggestions on TB + Linux virus scanners?