MozillaZine

How do I import Pegasus Mail mailboxes?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Leolo

Post Posted August 18th, 2003, 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm going to switch to Mozilla Thunderbird, but I don't want to lose all my previous emails.

Do you know what is the proper way of importing Pegasus Mail mailboxes into Mozilla Thunderbird?

My Pegasus mailboxes are in the standard unix format. I've tried overwriting the "Inbox" file in my Thunderbird folder and it seems to work, but some messages are lost, and some of them have the wrong date :(

I would like to import my mail intact. Is this possible?

Thanks a million.
Best regards.

GordMcFee

Post Posted August 18th, 2003, 6:33 pm

Two possibilities come to mind.

(1) (a) If Pegasus already stores its messages in unix format, you can close Thunderbird and copy the Pegasus mailbox files (they should have no extension) to your Thunderbird mail folder. When you restart Thunderbird, they should be there. As you access them, they will be indexed.

(1) (b) Alternatively, can you save the mailboxes in unix format? I know that works with Forte Agent.

(2) If (1) doesn't work, can you save the Pegasus mailboxes in Eudora format and then import via Tools -> Import -> Mail?

HTH.
Gord McFee

David James

Post Posted August 18th, 2003, 6:49 pm

You've done it more-or-less the only way it can be done. The only thing is that I would delete the Inbox.snm file that is in the same directory.

I'm not sure why you're getting errors in some of the messages though. It's possible that the file itself is corrupted and Pegasus has compensated for it in some way.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3

Leolo

Post Posted August 19th, 2003, 1:20 pm

Thank you very much for the replies, GordMcFee and David James.

Well, there are only 3 or 4 messages lost, and only a handful have the wrong date. Maybe those emails were corrupt, but I don't mind, they aren't very important.

The good news is that the rest of the emails (more than 300) are OK and now I'm a happy Thunderbird user! :)

Cheers.

GordMcFee

Post Posted August 19th, 2003, 6:03 pm

Leolo wrote:Thank you very much for the replies, GordMcFee and David James.

Well, there are only 3 or 4 messages lost, and only a handful have the wrong date. Maybe those emails were corrupt, but I don't mind, they aren't very important.

The good news is that the rest of the emails (more than 300) are OK and now I'm a happy Thunderbird user! :)

Cheers.

And that makes all of us happy!
Gord McFee

$p!

Post Posted August 20th, 2003, 6:32 am

i tried to save my inbox in Pegasus Mail with "Messages"->"Save Messages on HD", i saved the messages as one file and copied that to the Thunderbird Mail Folder.
When i start Thunderbird now i have 4 e-mails but it should be about 400 :(
The 4 e-mails are all dated at 1.1.1970 and they contain the Inbox File ...

Leolo

Post Posted August 20th, 2003, 8:48 am

Hi,

Try with this method:

1) Create a new folder (name it as you wish) in your Pegasus Mail mailbox (choose STANDARD UNIX FORMAT!!)

2) Select all the messages that you want to copy from your older INBOX folder.

3) Press the COPY button and copy them to the new folder you created in step 1.

4) Now close Pegasus Mail and go to its mail directory (usually C:\PMAIL\MAIL )

5) Identify the directory that corresponds to your user (there is one directory for each user)

6) Enter that directory and look for a file with the .MBX extension.

7) Copy the file with the .MBX extension to the directory where Thunderbird stores your mails.

8) Delete the file called Inbox (I am assuming you don't have any emails in Thunderbird yet, otherwise you should make a backup of your Thunderbird email first!!!)

9) Delete the file called Inbox.msf

10) Rename the .MBX file to Inbox

11) Now open Pegasus Mail and delete the folder that you created in step 1.

I hope that solves your problem.

Best luck.
Regards.

$p!

Post Posted August 20th, 2003, 1:46 pm

Thx very much, works fine :)

ashley

Post Posted September 2nd, 2003, 7:34 am

I just switched from pegasus to mozilla mail, because I want to keep track of my mails both on linux and windows, and was trying out import and export functions.... no luck. stumbling upon this thread simply solves the problem! thanks a lot!

mobert

Post Posted September 2nd, 2003, 10:17 am

Beautyful!! Works like a charm!! Thank you!

But I have one issue about importing from pegasus. How do I also import folders that I have made in pegasus that are in pegasus 2X format? Can they be imported with the folder names and all into Thunderbird? If so How?

Thanks again :)

mobert

Post Posted September 2nd, 2003, 4:07 pm

Never mind figured it out :)

Just follow the same steps above for inbox for all the other folders and rename them to the folder name want it to be named in the Thunderbird data folder.

Phew! hehe :)

Thanks again.

Return to Thunderbird General