Unofficial FreeBSD build

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
Tommes

Unofficial FreeBSD build

Post by Tommes »

As I couldn't find a FreeBSD build of Thunderbird anywhere, I compiled Thunderbird for <b>FreeBSD 4.8 (GTK2)</b> last night and
created a .bz2 binary package of that build.

If you want to give it a try, it's available at:

<a href="http://home.arcor.de/t.hecker/freebsd/thunderbird/">http://home.arcor.de/t.hecker/freebsd/thunderbird/</a>

As this build was primarily done for myself, I do not guaranty it will work for you!
Anyway - It's running quite fine on my machine and I thought I could share the binary with other FreeBSD users who do
not want to or cannot build it themselfs.

Please let me know if this build is working on your systems, too. If it's usable for others (and not just me) I could do weekly
updates or something ...

P.S.: I also compiled the enigmail extension for FreeBSD - the .xpi files are available at the address mentioned above as well
perlhack

Re: Unofficial FreeBSD build

Post by perlhack »

Tommes wrote:P.S.: I also compiled the enigmail extension for FreeBSD - the .xpi files are available at the address mentioned above as well

Hmm, the .xpi file is being served as a text file. You may want to add an AddType section to your .htaccess file to handle it correctly.

As for the binary of thunderbird, seems to be working fine on my Pentium Pro machine.

Thanks for providing it!
Tommes

Post by Tommes »

perlhack wrote:Hmm, the .xpi file is being served as a text file. You may want to add an AddType section to your .htaccess file to handle it correctly.

Yep - forgot testing that! :-)

I tried setting the mime type for .xpi files to 'application/x-xpinstall', but then firebird tried to install that extension.
So now, the mime type is set to 'application/octet-stream' so it's downloadable and doesn't show up as text in the browser.
perlhack

Post by perlhack »

Tommes wrote:So now, the mime type is set to 'application/octet-stream' so it's downloadable and doesn't show up as text in the browser.

I managed to download enigmail with Mozilla, but enigmime still downloaded as a text file for some reason (even after purging my cache).

I just used "fetch" instead; worked flawlessly.

Everything is installed and seems to be working properly, though I haven't done much testing yet.
DavidGerard

Post by DavidGerard »

If you could do this for each milestone, that would be really good!

I know that an official FreeBSD port is waiting on a tarball being available on a regular basis ...
DavidGerard

Works fine on 4.6.2-RELEASE

Post by DavidGerard »

My box is 4.6.2-RELEASE, but I've added quite a lot of updated libraries along the way ... In any case, it's working fine, and presently downloading three years' mail that has been left on the server all that time :-)
Tommes

Post by Tommes »

Nice to hear that the binary is working and useful to others, too!

I will certainly update the package when new milestones are available (at least) - probably more often, though ;-)

As for the strange behaviour of the web server with the enigmime .xpi file - I just don't know what's going wrong there.
I can't do more than "AddType application/octet-stream .xpi", can I? (It's working for the enigmail .xpi file ...)
Well, one can still right click it and use "Save Link as..." to download the file.
DavidGerard

Post by DavidGerard »

DavidGerard wrote:I know that an official FreeBSD port is waiting on a tarball being available on a regular basis ...

That is to say, a <i>source</i> tarball. (The ports system generally works by downloading a source tarball, applies FreeBSD-specific patches against it and then registering it with the system and installing it in a given location.)
perlhack

Post by perlhack »

(excuse the late addition to this thread)

Does anyone know if there are plans to create a FreeBSD port of enigmail/enigmime? I ask because these need to be compiled with the same tools (and versions) as what was employed to compile thunderbird, so using Tommes' xpi with the FreeBSD TBird port isn't an option.

Also, should such a port require, say, security/gnupg?
Tommes

Post by Tommes »

perlhack wrote:Does anyone know if there are plans to create a FreeBSD port of enigmail/enigmime? I ask because these need to be compiled with the same tools (and versions) as what was employed to compile thunderbird, so using Tommes' xpi with the FreeBSD TBird port isn't an option.

As Enigmail needs the Thunderbird source tree for building anyway, maybe it could be made an option for the Thunderbird port.
As in: setting something like WITH_ENIGMAIL=yes when compiling the port - that could build Thunderbird with Enigmail "pre-installed".

I don't have any experience with creating a port for FreeBSD and not much time, either - so I cannot help with that at the moment. :-(

But you can create your own Enigmail XPIs after building Thunderbird without much trouble. Look at the "Building Enigmail" page on
their homepage. You just have to extract two .tgz files into the compiled Thunderbird source tree and run about five commands to create
the .xpi files.
Just remember to use "gmake" when the build instructions for Enigmail tell you to use "make".
perlhack

Post by perlhack »

Tommes wrote:<snip>

As Enigmail needs the Thunderbird source tree for building anyway, maybe it could be made an option for the Thunderbird port.
As in: setting something like WITH_ENIGMAIL=yes when compiling the port - that could build Thunderbird with Enigmail "pre-installed".

That is a far more sensible solution. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

Tommes wrote:I don't have any experience with creating a port for FreeBSD and not much time, either - so I cannot help with that at the moment. :-(

Every time I think about contributing to the ports system, I start reading the Porter's Handbook and determine that the initial time investment required to learn the process is too great. Someday, maybe...
apeiron

Post by apeiron »

perlhack wrote:(excuse the late addition to this thread)

Does anyone know if there are plans to create a FreeBSD port of enigmail/enigmime? I ask because these need to be compiled with the same tools (and versions) as what was employed to compile thunderbird, so using Tommes' xpi with the FreeBSD TBird port isn't an option.

Also, should such a port require, say, security/gnupg?

You should try sending mail to the appropriate mailing list. Pretty much the moment Thunderbird's source tarball was made available, Joe Markus Clarke made a port of it. If Enigmail falls under gnome (i.e. Joe's jurisdiction), you can be sure of getting a port out of it rather soon. If you're curious about how to do it yourself -- that is, how to handle required code inside of a Mozilla.org source tarball -- take a look at www/galeon. Admittedly, there's a lot to learn -- but it shouldn't be much more than copying and pasting what you need. And install portlint. It'll save you a lot of headaches. If you get stuck, ask the ports@ people -- that's part of why the list exists.

Whether or not it requires security/gnupg depends upon its functionality. I don't know a lot about Enigmail, but from the name it seems that encryption / digital signing is a major part of the program. If that's so, you may want to make it depend on it or a replacement, rather than making it a tunable.