Who here is sticking with the suite

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
gmclean

Who here is sticking with the suite

Post by gmclean »

Everyone talks about Firefox. I personally tried it and found it lacked a lot fo the features I liked. Also having everything integrated into one is nice. I will continue to use the suite and not Firefox until Firefox catches up to it in terms of features. Who else here likes the suite much better? From the sounds of it the suite will no longer be released, but I hope osmeone will release it.
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

You should turn this into a poll.
therube

Post by therube »

Count me for the suite (though I only use the browser).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

jasonb wrote:You should turn this into a poll.

Yes, please! I´m for the Mozilla Suite.
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

I employ every component of the Mozilla Suite, in one capacity or another, on my home box.
And that's what I'm sticking with.

The only place that I do make use of Firefox is on my portable USB drive, since the
Suite obviously isn't suited to that particular usage.
txGreg

Post by txGreg »

I use the suite browser, and have considered migrating from Eudora to Moz Mail. I'll probably give Thunderbird a look, but I have absolutely no intention of moving from Mozilla to FF for the foreseeable future. I keep the latest Firefox installed for experimentation purposes, but have yet to find anything about it that urges me to change.

Scarrow wrote:The only place that I do make use of Firefox is on my portable USB drive, since the Suite obviously isn't suited to that particular usage.

Is this due to the efforts by others to make a portable version of FF? I see very little difference on my hard drive in the installation footprint of the two. I don't install the full suite (yet) and see the browser-only for it using about 15.7MB of my drive as compared to 14.9MB for Firefox...
gmclean

Post by gmclean »

txGreg wrote:I use the suite browser, and have considered migrating from Eudora to Moz Mail. I'll probably give Thunderbird a look, but I have absolutely no intention of moving from Mozilla to FF for the foreseeable future. I keep the latest Firefox installed for experimentation purposes, but have yet to find anything about it that urges me to change.

Scarrow wrote:The only place that I do make use of Firefox is on my portable USB drive, since the Suite obviously isn't suited to that particular usage.

Is this due to the efforts by others to make a portable version of FF? I see very little difference on my hard drive in the installation footprint of the two. I don't install the full suite (yet) and see the browser-only for it using about 15.7MB of my drive as compared to 14.9MB for Firefox...

anyways, i know older versions of firefox (known as firebird at the time i think) you just unzipped and could use, there was no install. So say at school where you don't have install permissions, you could use firebird

Anyways, even if I only used the suite for the browser, I find it a better browser than Firefox. I like Firefoxs top right search thing though. Also I haven't tried Thunderbird, but I like Mozillamail and since it being integrated is nice, I have no reason to.
Wildcard

Post by Wildcard »

Another Suite User, been using Mozilla since the M10 days. Since I use the mail component of Mozilla it was natural for me to stick to the suite instead of a Firefox/Thunderbird combo. I've use Firefox every now and then to experiment with it
beanboy89

Post by beanboy89 »

I proudly use the Mozilla Suite(Seamonky.) I don't use the Mail client often, but I find very Composer useful. Actually, I was a Firebird/Firefox since late 2003, and used Firefox until August of last year. I was tired, and quite frankly, sick of all of Firefox's attention and bugs at the time. So I switched to the Suite at the time. The switch was quite painless. I tried Firefox 1.0 for a few weeks in November, but again didn't really like it. So now I think I will be on the Suite for the foreseeable future. I like it so much, I don't think I could switch back to Firefox. Mozilla Suite just has so much that the stand-alone apps don't have. I certintly hope the Suite still lives, even in a "maintance" mode, but I'd love to see new development.
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

gmclean wrote:I like Firefoxs top right search thing though.

I much prefer the way the suite let's you input a search in it's much larger URL input box. It's dual-purpose and as it's much longer, more comfortable for writing longer search parameters.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Well, this is the Mozilla General forum, so... :)

I'm also a happy user of the Mozilla Application Suite. Some months ago I found that my brother still had Mozilla 1.2 on his PC (I made everyone at home switch), which was the first version I ever used. It was from November 2002. I didn't know I was using it for so long already. o_O

While I'm not much into modifying the appearance of programs, I do like tweaking, and have much control of what they do. So the complete interface suits me. :)
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

I, too, am a big fan of the Suite. I like the integration of all the apps (well, except composer which I don't use). I have used Firefox and Thunderbird at various times (I am trying them now) but find it easier to work with the Suite.

I have always done a custom install and always installed both browser and e-mail. But, as of late, I am finding I may have to do a browser only installation as I have a new requirement for my e-mail client with regards to Managing Identities. The current 1.7 trunk doesn't have this feature, but Thunderbird and the 1.8 nightlies do. I have asked for opinions about the stabiltiy of the 1.8 nightlies, but haven't got any responses.

I have been using Firefox and Thunderbird for a couple days now, but find that I may brave the 1.8 nightlies as I miss the integration and apparently better support by third party vendors.
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I'm another Suite fan. I've been using Mozilla as my primary browser since about 0.7, and each milestone has got better and better. I generally use only the browser, but use the mail client for the few newsgroups that I read, and it's becoming invaluable to me now for reading RSS feeds (through ForumZilla). Oh, and I adore the DOM inspector as well :).

I've tried Firefox on my spare machine, but didn't like the "cutsy" default theme, lack of visible prefs and silly visual effects (fading-in download manager?!). Oh, and no MultiZilla :).
dtobias

Post by dtobias »

I've used the Suite as my main browser since switching from Netscape 4.x somewhere around 2001.
Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/
Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
mgerrone

Post by mgerrone »

I'm another suite fan. Probably used Netscape til 2002, then switched. I was a huge Netscape fan, and loved what they did with Communicator, so this was the next logical choice. I just hope Mozilla 1.8 final does come out, available for download.

I tried Firefox, but it's not an easy adjustment for me. Too much like IE when it comes to the UI, and no real revolutionary features that I'd use at this point.