TBird hangs sending mail to IMAP sent-mail

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
hansen

Post by hansen »

nckd:
Could you message me the prefs.js-files from both computers? Just ***** sensitive data if you want, but don't remove anything.
pgc

imap/tb problem + impossible to move files from sent folder

Post by pgc »

Hi,

I experienced the same problem time by time. Today it looks very bad and I tried the "local sent folder" workaround.

Meanwhile, I found one more problem: I attempted to cleanup the sent folder manually moving all my sent messages to a new ad-hoc local folder. If I move the messages one by one, it works. But if I try to move more than 2 messages at the same time, the program does nothing. No signs of any activity, but the messages remain where they were.

Any idea? I use WinXP on a Dell Inspiron 8200 computer.

I add myself to the general opinion that we expect more attention on this problem by the developers. I've been convinced to move to TB from Outlook an year ago, and I found it a great program that I wish to support in its development, but honestly speaking I'm not sure I would do the same move twice.

regards
chprpipr

Ditto...

Post by chprpipr »

I have switched one of my clients (25 workstation company) to TB/IMAP nearly a year ago. Things have gone pretty well, but the "copying to sent items" bug has been a source of much frustration. Users won't do anything until the window goes away, not realizing that you can minimize it and move along. Getting this bug fixed would be a huge relief.

I also wanted to confirm the behavior that pgc is reporting. I have one user who has a huge imap store (600+ MB... he swears he needs all of it and more). I've taught him how to mass move messages by highlighting a block and dragging them to his Local Folders, but it doesn't work for him. TB just sits there. He is able to mass delete files. Moving the messages using the context menu (Right Click > Move To...) also does not work.
hansen

Post by hansen »

There is some problems with moving several messages from IMAP. This should have been fixed in the nightlies, so it will show up in Thunderbird 1.5.
matthewpaul

Workaround

Post by matthewpaul »

I was able to restore the local sent mail copy functionality by navigating to the mail folder (C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\********.default\Mail\Local Folders) and renaming my Sent and Sent.msf files to Sent1 and Sent1.msf) Upon restarting the program it created fresh copies and showed the old-now renamed- Sent1 mailbox.
good luck
Last edited by matthewpaul on September 7th, 2005, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to jog, but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.
~David Lee Roth
pgc

thanks for the support

Post by pgc »

hansen wrote:There is some problems with moving several messages from IMAP. This should have been fixed in the nightlies, so it will show up in Thunderbird 1.5.

I installed the nightly and actually I've been able to move my sent e-mail to another folder. Then, I reinstalled ver 1.0.6 for safety
Thank you very much
pgc
hansen

Post by hansen »

Looks like the bug is fixed in the nightly builds - or some of it.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=163951
Grahame

Fix for can't read mails in IMAP sub-folders

Post by Grahame »

I have had a number of problems with TBird but have persevered and today I have upgraded to 1.5 beta 1 - this caused an exisitng problem with not being able to read messages in subfolders other than when first starting TBird to get worse and report a message about reducing the number of cached connections. I have done this endlessly and today I reduced them to 0 - thinking that meant no caching. However this might not actually work like that and under a certain set of circumstances it reset itself back to 5. However, I set it to precicsely 1 and it stayed there and fixed the problem!

So, for me at least:

Update to 1.5beta1

Set server cached connections to precisely 1 and *not* 0.

Hope this helps someone. Not sure if if will fix my can't copy to sent folde rproblems but fingers crossed...

Grahame
BlueNoteMKVI

Same problem here

Post by BlueNoteMKVI »

I'm seeing the same problem here on several installations. Not always, but often enough to be annoying, the "copying to sent" window does not go away. After a long time (ie, go get lunch and come back) it will tell me "connection to mail server timed out" or "there was a problem copying to sent folder, try again." When I try again, it has always worked. Yesterday I had four separate windows all at once hang on me. Two of those messages were to a co-worker in the same office, so I was able to ask him if the message went through and he confirmed that it did. I assume the others did as well. I have root access to my mail servers so I would be more than happy to post any logs from either my local machine or my mail server if it would help - just let me know what you need.

Grahame has not been back to say whether upgrading to the beta fixed his problem - if this is fixed in 1.5 then that's wonderful, I can't wait for it to be released as stable. If I can't easily access subfolders in the beta then I can't upgrade.

My current setup is:

-One desktop machine that dual-boots Ubuntu Breezy for AMD64 and Windows XP, running Thunderbird in both. The profile is not shared.
--AMD 64 processor...3200 I believe.
--1 gig of RAM
-One laptop machine running Ubuntu Breezy for i386
--Centrino setup with 1.7 mHz processor and 512 MB of RAM
--Windows does exist on this computer, but I rarely use it and there's no email client installed. I'm not really sure why I keep it around.

I keep my Linux boxes up to date with the latest stable releases from the Ubuntu universe. It's not quite Gentoo-bleeding-edge kind of stuff (tried that, it broke too much) but it's pretty current. I keep the Windows box patched with all of the latest from MS and upgrade the software fairly often. I've seen this problem in all three Thunderbird installations.

I check 4 email accounts on one server and 1 on another. Both servers are running CentOS and up to date versions of software. The mail server is exim on both boxes.
Grahame

Post by Grahame »

I have had hardly any problems in this regard since upgrading - this week I had one hang when copying to sent folder but that has been the first in ages. I'm still on version 1.5 Beta 1 (20050908).

I'd recommend going for it on at least one setup (I'm on XP) to see if it improves - for me it was unlikely to get much worse! I think we upped the number f caches availble on the server as well reducing them (to precisely 1) on the client.

Grahame
washrack

upgrade and set cache results...

Post by washrack »

Had this problem for a few weeks.
Sent mail would only occasionally be put in the IMAP Sent folder and most often ask me to Retry repeatedly.

I've had the upgrade to TB 1.5 for a while now and tried the Workaround (deleting and resetting the Save Copy to checkbox in Account Settings) with little success.

However, I set the Maximum Number of Server Connections to Cache setting to 1 (one) in the Advanced section of Server Settings and that seems to have done the job.

Early days but unless you hear back from me on this, assume it's working.
noise

Re: upgrade and set cache results...

Post by noise »

washrack wrote:Had this problem for a few weeks.
Sent mail would only occasionally be put in the IMAP Sent folder and most often ask me to Retry repeatedly.

I've had the upgrade to TB 1.5 for a while now and tried the Workaround (deleting and resetting the Save Copy to checkbox in Account Settings) with little success.

However, I set the Maximum Number of Server Connections to Cache setting to 1 (one) in the Advanced section of Server Settings and that seems to have done the job.

I also upgraded to 1.5 and am still having the problem. My server connections was set to 2 (two), though. I just switched it to 1 and will report back if the problem continues.

UPDATE: I've been running this for several days now without issue. The hanging appears to be gone. Finally! Hooray!
Last edited by noise on April 5th, 2006, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
desconocido

Can not copy to Sent folder

Post by desconocido »

Hi,

I've just installed my first version of Thunderbird (1.5) on MAcOS X through WiFi to a Freesco firewall and router and then via a very slow GPRS link to the Internet. Works fine to smtp and pop of yahoo except that it times out sometimes. (Similar to Eudora on my other computer.)

However...

I am now beginning to get these failures to save to Sent folder (also to Draft folder when I try that).

Also, if I go to "Tools->Account Settings...->Copies & Folders", my initial tick marks for saving copies to Sent etc have vanished.

Also, if I reset the tick marks and click OK, if I revisit the settings the tick marks have vanished again and the following message has appeared in the Javascript console:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER) [nsIMsgIdentity.fccFolder]" nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/AccountManager.js :: getAccountValue :: line 913" data: no]

The file "Prefs.js" in Thunderbird/Profiles/*****.default does not appear to have any entries relating to Copies and Folders.

Also, reading the comment "However, I set the Maximum Number of Server Connections to Cache setting to 1 (one) in the Advanced section of Server Settings and that seems to have done the job." In my "Tools->Account Settings...", neither in Server Settings->Advanced... nor in Outgoing Server (SMTP) do I see any such setting. I'm just using pop and smtp with username and password.

Regards
Dujo

Post by Dujo »

Same problem with Thunderbird 1.5.0.2
jonas79

Maybe the Logfile is to big?

Post by jonas79 »

At the end of last week my Thunderbird started acting up.
I got multiple copies of the same mail and I could not save in Sent or Drafts folder.

I disabled the filter logging and cleared the filter log file and now I can save in Sent and Drafts again.

Give it a try and see if it works for you.