error 623

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
jpdn

error 623

Post by jpdn »

Using firefox 1.0 on a win2000 system.

When some sites load (e.g. espn.com) the process is halted and I get an error message (error 623: the system could not find a phonebook entry for this location) I click "ok" and the page completes loading. It is not crippling just damn annoying.

Any ideas out there?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

This is for XP, but maybe the solution is similar?

Error 623

Post by Guest »

LeRoi
Thanks for the link.

However, my VPN is greyed out (although I can view properties) and while I have a dial-up account that I use while traveling, I am on DSL now. I don't get this message with IE on the same sites but would prefer to use FF.

Any other ideas?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

Okay, on the connections tab of internet options, uncheck "always dial my default connection" (or similar), you may need to put a checkmark in "never dial a connection" or similar, apply/okay.

If that doesn't work, type about:config into the location bar, press enter, type dial into the filter, find this line:

network.autodial-helper.enabled

right click the line and select toggle (to false), close and reopen Firefox.

Post by Guest »

The connections were set up that way.

Toggling the autodial thingee seems to have worked.

Big thx.

This won't interfere with me using dial up when I'm on the road will it?
LeRoi

Post by LeRoi »

I wouldn't think so, just connect before you open Firefox because now I think the dial up connection dialogue won't start automatically when you open Firefox.

You're welcome.

Post by Guest »

THANK you :) I've had this problem for a few monthsn and it's just that. Not crippling, but annoying. But now it's fixed ^^
rickvilla

Post by rickvilla »

Fantastic! That fixed our problem also. Many thanks. Thanks also to all the Firefox browser folks for such a great web browser!