New name for Suite project announcement!

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

Hah! Posted: Mar Thu 31st 2005 11:39pm. Didn't think it was a joke because of the webpage, but seeing that it's a wiki...
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
larrybpsu

Post by larrybpsu »

Mmmmm.

Seems how duped we could be, but it's a neat way to look at things.

Can someone official make any confirmation?
Tony-E

Post by Tony-E »

Check the posts made today on Asa Dotzler's blog
Scarrow

Post by Scarrow »

Considering the registration of a domain name and sundry changes to the Wiki incorporating the new moniker, I'd hazard that it's pretty official.

I do, however, hope that the excessive employment of the color cyan is, at best, a temporary measure.

I find my aesthetic principles recoiling whenever browsing over to that placeholder that is the current Allizom home page.
Aoi87

Post by Aoi87 »

I don't know if they're serious or not but domain names DO cost money (www.allimoz.org).
Formerly known as simply "Aoi."

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040804 Netscape/7.2 (ax)
dahem0n

Post by dahem0n »

Yes, they cost, but make the joke more believable.
dahem0n
jaroclay

Post by jaroclay »

As many previous posters have noted, a lot of trouble and potential expense went into this potential "joke". I find it odd that MoFo would allow the use of Mozilla spelled backwards - and it is this that makes me think this is all in jest. IMHO.

If it is true, it is unique enough that it will definitely be a name to remember. :-D

Scarrow wrote:I do, however, hope that the excessive employment of the color cyan is, at best, a temporary measure.

I couldn't agree more. I find my asthetic principles recoiling as well. :-&
Never judge a day by the weather | The best things in life aren't things | Tell the truth - There is less to remember | No rain - No rainbows | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
jqp

Post by jqp »

Not only that, it's the same length as the previous name and it also makes us show up first in alphabetical lists of available web browsers and mail/news clients.

This reeks of 4/1.
You do realize that the cyan color is just the inverse of the old color, right?

I won't believe it. If it's still there a week from now, I'll think about it.
AmboyGuy

Post by AmboyGuy »

"Once more through the looking glass" said Alice.
Mozilla/5.0 (Ubuntu; X11; Linux i686; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1 ID:20111228084953
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

Robert Kaiser posted in netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey at Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:38:18 +0200:
Greg Colyer schrieb:
> The issue is not who owns the mark. That, indeed, can probably only be a
> legal entity.

Exactly. And that's why the Mozilla Foundation is currently in the
process of registering the trademark for our new name.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

You can get domains for $1 from some places, so it's hardly an expensive joke.
TheReboot

Post by TheReboot »

http://allizom.org/ confirms - April Fool.

Pity, I quite liked the name. Sounded like a, Alakazam, etc
Ponder_Stibbons

Post by Ponder_Stibbons »

Unfortunatly http://elgoog.rb-hosting.de/index.cgi
a "google-mirror"
finds mozilla if you search for allizom
Jabber-Messenger: Ridcully@swissjabber.ch
BamseIsUnix

Post by BamseIsUnix »

Gosh that almost killed me.

The wiki is back to normal now. Allizom.org doesn't exist.

Here's the fake announcement, if anyone's interested:
Allizom Project announces continuation of Mozilla suite

VIENNA, Austria - The new community project that has evolved around Mozilla Foundation's suspension of the Mozilla suite (http://www.mozilla.org/seamonkey-transition.html) proudly announces it's new name, Allizom.

After searching through a large list of suggested names, the Allizom Council, which is managing the project, finally decided upon that name early in the morning of April 1, 2005. Asked about the reasons for that choice of name, Neil Rashbrook, an Allizom Council member and long-time Mozilla developer, replied "We ultimately chose to adopt the name 'Allizom' after determining all other proposed names to be unusable. Also, we liked the sound of it, and it is definitely not currently in use for any other project. We wanted to create something new, but still stay with something of the old. Not only that, it's the same length as the previous name and it also makes us show up first in alphabetical lists of available web browsers and mail/news clients."

"We will deliver an Alpha version of our first release, Allizom 1.0, within the next weeks", added the Allizom release manager, Chris Thomas. "Users of Mozilla 1.7.x or even the Mozilla 1.8 Alpha and Beta releases will get a new stable release of the product they are used to. Netscape 7.x users will also feel at home with the new Allizom suite. Allizom tries to unite these broad user bases under its new name, with new power."

Quality Assurance lead Andrew Schultz commented, "Although we are, by necessity, working with a reduced staff and greatly diminished resources, we hope to provide unparalleled security and reliability in the upcoming release by intelligently leveraging what resources we have. Interested users are invited to join the QA team - stop by #seamonkey on irc.mozilla.org and ask how you can help out!"

The Allizom suite contains a state-of-the-art web browser and a feature-rich mail and newsgroups client, along with a simple yet powerful HTML editor, web development tools and an IRC chat application.

http://allizom.org, the Allizom website is still under construction; the Allizom Council chose to immediately inform the public of this exciting step forward for our project.
ZookQValem

Post by ZookQValem »

Funny, this posting was posted on Thursday, March 31st, not April 1st... I wonder if that is the intention as to catch some people off guard...