MozillaZine

csrss.exe and firefox

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
rootyb

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:14 pm

Also, as stated before, if you let it sit long enough, it will eventually unlock, load the page, and you can go about your business. It appears that if you do so, other "problem" pages won't freeze, also, until you restart the browser.

*shrug*

rootyb

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:19 pm

Also, it looks like the specific entry in about:config that's causing problems is this:

font.name-list.cursive.he

Or whatever's just below it..

rootyb

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:32 pm

Okay... I just fixed it. All this font talk got me thinking... what if the font that's being called is missing/damaged/replaced/whatever?

Well, I have Adobe Type Manager installed. I went into that, and deactivated all of my fonts, except for my starter set (basically, I turned off all the fonts that came with ATM). Fired up firefox, and problem pages are no longer a problem. Every page I was having trouuble with before (including about:config) now runs like a champ.

So, if you're running ATM, try disabling everything other than your starter set. If not... I don't know what to tell you. I think this all but proves that it's a font issue of some kind.

Hopefully, this can help someone else, though! :)

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:33 pm

rootyb - can you give me a wikipedia page that does it that *doesn't* have foreign characters on it?

it could be that this is two issues, something with foreign characters and something else with the ads (unless the ads have foreign characters, or the google results have foreign characters) But if it is foreign characters that explains why it only happens once per session.

Can you guys save the pages that are doing this for you as complete and email them to majken@gmail.com ? I've got some devs interested in isolating a test case.

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:35 pm

damnit forgot again, what language are you guys running, en-US ?

rootyb

Post Posted August 13th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Yeah, I'm running en-US.

I'll see if I can reinstall my fonts and get the problem back.

No clue on finding a wikipedia page with no foreign characters in it. I'm almost positive that all of their pages do, due to the way their software is setup.

I'll get on emailing you a couple of the problem pages, too.

Post Posted August 14th, 2005, 12:00 am

oh I missed your post about adobe, we must have posted at the same time :)

keep me updated on the fonts, and if everyone else could post if this works for them too, that'd be great.

Post Posted August 14th, 2005, 12:06 am

and by obligatory double post, yeah I just realized wikipedia has that nice "other languages" box down the side of the page :)

Byronedwards

Post Posted August 14th, 2005, 7:06 am

Hi,

I'd just installed the photoshop cs2 tryout before reading the font posts. After the cs2 install everything works again but being curious I went into Adobe type manager and clicked the starter set. An error message came up saying that adobesanmm and adobesermm fonts were missing or corrupt. I reinstalled adobe reader and all (fingers crossed) still appears ok. The various pages listed above all load properly.

Thanks

rootyb

Post Posted August 14th, 2005, 8:42 pm

Noticed something else, don't know how much it matters, but...

In about:config, there are two font settings that have '??' in them (for me, at least):

font.name.cursive.ko
and
font.name-list.cursive.ko

Maybe try taking those question marks out? *shrug*

Also, for the record, I just reinstalled all of the fonts that I just uninstalled, and I'm still not having any problems. *shrug* Screwy.

Post Posted August 15th, 2005, 3:47 pm

rootyb those aren't question marks, those are special characters that would show up if you had the international fonts installed. That's what I was talking about myself when I said the thing about about:config

rootyb

Post Posted August 17th, 2005, 12:59 am

Ahh, gotcha. That makes a bit more sense. Maybe whatever font the question marks represent is the one causing problems all around, so if they're removed, maybe that'll fix it?

Anyone else managed to fix this problem with Adobe Type Manager or otherwise?

Lucy

Post Posted August 18th, 2005, 7:19 pm

the thing is, most people have no problem. How many fonts do you have installed?

What makes sense to me is that the people seeing this have huge numbers of fonts, and firefox is going through all of them to find a font that will display those characters. The question would be is there any way firefox can handle searching large amounts of fonts better? The problem might not happen in I.E. because of system integration. So if it hasn't already been answered yet the first question would be does the problem happen in any other browsers not including i.e. or any other program that handles text that isn't MS.

(I'm the same person as the most recent guest, btw, finally got hooked up with a username)

criz

Post Posted August 22nd, 2005, 2:45 am

FIXED for me... It was the fonts for sure. I had some Adobe fonts installed (Font Folio, etc. among others), and I reverted my fonts back to the original collection that came with windows. I restarted and tried all the sites that Firefox froze on every time--NO MORE FREEZING. Finally, its over.

Post Posted August 22nd, 2005, 3:10 pm

Lucy wrote:the thing is, most people have no problem. How many fonts do you have installed?

What makes sense to me is that the people seeing this have huge numbers of fonts, and firefox is going through all of them to find a font that will display those characters. The question would be is there any way firefox can handle searching large amounts of fonts better? The problem might not happen in I.E. because of system integration. So if it hasn't already been answered yet the first question would be does the problem happen in any other browsers not including i.e. or any other program that handles text that isn't MS.

(I'm the same person as the most recent guest, btw, finally got hooked up with a username)

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. It was effectively EVERY font that comes with adobe font folio. I went a little overboard. :)

I'm just glad we (mostly) got to the bottom of it.

Huge thanks to everyone that posted trying to help!

Return to Firefox Support